Gibb's rule #9

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Never go anywhere without a knife.

Even when I travel, I am often willing to check a bag to have a knife with me. And by knife, I mean an edc knife, a little Swiss Army knife, and a multi tool. Have even checked my tai chi sword in the past.

On this trip, I noticed that the nose piece on my nine year old reading glasses picked up a burr and was rough. The nail file on the little SAK, did the perfect job of gently smoothing it done.

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Heck yeah I like Gibbs rule # 9

Tully Mars, Hanzo, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Amen!

I carry a Leatherman tool (which has an excellent knife on it) and a flashlight with me anytime I am not at work. My friends & family used to think I was a little kooky, but it has saved the moment so many times, they now think it's a pretty cool idea.

At work I am a communications electronics technician and lug around a large bag of assorted tools, so there is no need to bring my personal Leatherman. I do carry a cheap lock blade knife I picked up at a gun show for $13. It's handy for ripping open boxes and static-resistant bags. If something happens to my gun show knife, it's not a big heartbreak. I'm not going to spend big $$ on stuff the boss should be buying for me! There is a place in this world for cheap throwaway knives.

Great topic, thanks for starting it.

4. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Heh, also at Comicon this year they asked everyone who went through the line if they were armed. Hubby went first, knew he couldn't carry, so he left the gun at home. So, they didn't even ask me, which is good because I would have said I wasn't armed. Husband pointed out that they were probably asking because of people like me carrying knives. I just don't think of it as carrying a knife. I think of it as carrying a screw driver, and a pair of emergency scissors. If there was an emergency, how exactly do they figure I'm going to cut bandages or rope? That's crazy.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Another reason why box cutters are great.

Seepalaces likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have a Leatherman in my desk drawer at work. I am unsure how a knife would be viewed but most people do not think about the Leatheman having a knife.

Seepalaces, Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You weren't armed. You just had a tool with you. YOU are the weapon. Everything else is a tool.

I think the philosophy is:

1. Learn to use a weapon
    2. As you progress, everything can be a weapon
    3. As you more fully progress, you are the weapon

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I thought I was knife crazy until I came to this forum because I have knives all over the place, truck, desk, on top fridge (next to Glock), garage but, be honest, I never think of them as weapons because I am always cutting or prying something for some reason. I think of them as necessary tools, good tools. I also have a really good Gerber Leatherman (truck console) that I love and goes everywhere with me and a large Swiss knife in the medical kit as does my wife but she carries her in her purse.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hmph. Since when is a knife not a tool?

Seepalaces and Hanzo like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

It IS a tool.

Seepalaces likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just like Thor's Hammer is a Tool....

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Grease gun k bar these are the tools that makes men die yep it's a tool

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I bought my first one, a Buck Model 317 twin 4" blade, in 1975 during my senior year of high school. Carried that Buck tgrough four years in USAF, then six years in the Navy, around tgecworld. Still have it. Well worn but still sharp and functional. Now I have many knives, and switch out my EDC every so often.
    Tried a multitool a few times, but find them useless. When I need a knife, I need a KNIFE.
    When I need a tool, I go to the tool kit.

Hanzo likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Matei
  9. Matei
  10. norseman
    [ATTACH]