Giraffe Bone

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here's my first knife with giraffe bone handles, and know I know there'll be alot more! This stuff is expensive and adds $100 to the knife but what a great look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Extremely nice looking Don. And I can totally understand why it would add so much to a knife. That stuff is pricey.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Beautiful. What's the difference between giraffe bone and the bone of other wildlife?

4. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I could be wrong RightHand but I believe it has something to do with the age of the Giraffe bone - it's very old.

5. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's a beautiful knife Don...

Can't wait to see it.... :D

6. Valkman

I think the density and size of the bone have something to do with it. They stabilize it and dye it and the look is fantastic.

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I did a little research this afternoon and I believe you are correct regarding the density. I found a published thesis by a New Zealand Veterinary candidate comparing the levels of Calcium and Phosphorus between giraffes and american buffalo. The results of the study were that they were comparable with very high calcium levels. That would certainly make the bones dense and very strong. Very interesting. They certainly finish a knife beautifully.

8. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sounds like you need to make a few midnight foray's to the local zoo. Take a step ladder, hack a leg off and tie the ladder in it's place, now one will notice! :eek:

9. Valkman

Hey sniper I might do that - wait there's no zoo here! Argh!

Righthand, yep and there's not many buffalo around. Case knives uses cattle bone from South America and all stag is getting harder to find. I made an appeal today to a guy that hunts alot and he said he'd trade a bunch of stag for a knife so hopefully we can do that. A guy in Denmark is going to get me some Danish stag and also camel bone which is real cheap over there.

10. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My dad used to have a M4 Imperial Bayonet for a M1 Carbine. Seems that my brother got ahold of it and cut the leather off and put Elk antler on it for a handle and then cut up a rattlesnake hide for the scabbard! Guess I won't put that on my M1 now!

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Have you checked online for boffalo ranches? I know there are several around. I think there is one at something like bisontenial.com or bisintinial.com or something like that that they sell the animals, hides, horns, skulls and meat. The would most likely be able to sell you some of the scrap bone like from the lower legs or you could get a slab of ribs and peel them out if you wanted to and know how to stabalize it and use the buffalo bone and probably wouldnt be THAT bad on price. If you cant find it else where let me know, if you are willing to buy the bone for enouph (so it would be mutualy benificial) I MAY be able to find one live to buy and butcher and bone out instead of cutting as normal and send you a bunch of it that way.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7