"Giving away Truck"

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by wastelander, Apr 2, 2014.

1. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I do some buying and selling of used cars and such to make ends meet. There's this guy who turned out to be a prepper and I really like the guy, and he's in the market for a truck that I have in my inventory. The thing is, I would love to give him a price matching to what I gave for the old girl just because I like him and besides that hes already a speculant for some other stuff I have for sale.
    What would you guys do? Take the risk of getting used financially but the chance ofgetting a new friend?

Excuse my English, I spent all days smoking pot outside the cafeteria back in school while I should have attended Los Englos Classos.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Do what is in your heart, but don't forget; you operate a business.

KAS and wastelander like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

sounds like a time for barter.
    does he have a surplus of something you lack?

4. Amish Heart

Amish Heart Monkey

A friend in need
    Is a fried indeed

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Or payment on precious metals which have the potential to increase in value.

mysterymet likes this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Exactly how do you fry an indeed?

Yard Dart and JABECmfg like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

In bacon grease. No problem.;)

ditch witch likes this.
  8. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

Not that I know of no, besides a very hot sister. Might count for something ;)

hammer502 likes this.
  9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

perhapps he has a skill or trade he could teach u in trade ...
    Ive been known to have things that other people wanted that didnt work but they would hasve to let me help them fix it !!!

oldawg likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I suppose if you know he's not conning you, you might do him the favor, but somehow make certain he knows it and why.

11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I'm going to take the opposite approach here. Never mix used cars and friends. I don't know the guy so maybe he's a peach, but every time I've sold a vehicle to a friend, or even an acquaintance, it's gone south. Sooner or later something breaks down and then they start hinting (or outright accusing) that I knew something was wrong with it and didn't tell them. Never mind I told them every single thing that had been giving me trouble, if something ELSE went out I somehow screwed them, and it didn't matter if they were the last person in the world I'd ever think would be that way. I'd still have to hear about the heap I sold them and how much it's costing them to fix it every time I saw them.

If it were me, I'd just sell it for what I needed to get out of it, because experience has taught me that when that alternator started going bad they'd act like the only reason I gave them such a great deal was because I knew it was a lemon. If in the future it turns out he's a decent guy who knows you didn't hide gremlins in the engine just before he drove it off the lot, THEN you offer him the phat prepper discounts.

Just my thinking.

NotSoSneaky and DarkLight like this.
  12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I hate to be cynical (how's that for an oxymoron?) but I tend to agree with DW. If he gets the truck, it should be a business transaction, just like any of your other customers. Price is totally up to you but unless you are outfitting your MAG and he's part of it...scratch that, even if he's in your MAG and you are outfitting everyone this should be a business transaction. Price it as fairly as you need to for your conscience but friends/family and business transactions almost invariably don't mix and a "gift" has no value, regardless of history or gratefulness at the time. If/when it has a problem, you are at fault.

13. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

QFT !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7