Global Warming, what Global Warming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tacmotusn, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Hot off the presses. Hold onto your hats. CO2 is not a bad thing. It's a good thing!
    Wall Street Journal: In 10 Years, No Sign of Global Warming

<!-- Image Below Headline End -->Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012 10:33 AM
    By Martin Gould
    <!-- Horizontal Share Bar End--><!--

--><!-- Image Before Text Start -->
    <!-- Image Before Text End -->World temperatures have remained virtually unchanged in the past 10 years despite predictions of global warming and America’s mildest winter in decades, Princeton physics professor William Happer contends.

Weather patterns worldwide over the past few months were very similar to those in 1942 when the continental United States basked in a warm winter at the same time that Alaska and Asia were slammed with severe weather and “General Frost” stalled the German army’s advance into Russia, Happer wrote in a Wall Street Journal Op-Ed.

And any changes that have occurred should not be attributed to a rise in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, Happer, a prominent opponent of climate change theory, wrote in an article headlined “Global Warming Models Are Wrong Again.”

“CO2 is not a pollutant,” he wrote. “Life on earth flourished for hundreds of millions of years at much higher CO2 levels than we see today. Increasing CO2 levels will be a net benefit because cultivated plants grow better and are more resistant to drought at higher CO2 levels, and because warming and other supposedly harmful effects of CO2 have been greatly exaggerated.”

Global temperatures have increased by around four-fifths of one degree Celsius since the “Little Ice Age” of the early 1800s, he wrote. “Some of that warming has probably come from increased amounts of CO2, but the timing of the warming — much of it before CO2 levels had increased appreciably — suggests that a substantial fraction of the warming is from natural causes that have nothing to do with mankind.”

Recent severe tornadoes in the United States also prove nothing, Happer wrote. “Like winter temperatures, the numbers, severity and geographical locations of tornadoes fluctuate from year-to-year in ways that are correlated with the complicated fluid flow patterns of the oceans and atmosphere, the location of the jet stream, El Niño or La Niña conditions of the tropical Pacific Oceans, etc.

“As long as the laws of nature exist, we will have tornadoes,” he added. “But we can save many more lives by addressing the threat of tornadoes directly — for example, with improved and more widely dispersed weather radars, and with better means for warning the people of endangered areas — than by credulous support of schemes to reduce ‘carbon footprints,’ or by funding even more computer centers to predict global warming.”

Happer has become one of the most outspoken skeptics of global warming. He told Congress in 2009 that the increase in carbon dioxide “will be good for mankind.” The same year, he likened those who believe carbon dioxide is causing climate change to Nazis. “This is George Orwell. This is the ‘Germans are the master race. The Jews are the scum of the earth.’ It’s that kind of propaganda,” he said.

“What used to be science has turned into a cult.”

Suerto and tulianr like this.
  2. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

WTH do they think trees breathe?
    That was always my question..

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Or the other little item, after trees take in CO2, what do they give off? Oxygen !!!
    I guess we don't need no stinkin' Oxygen ....?

4. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Problem is, we're cutting all the trees down for cattle ranches and TP..

Or so I'm led to believe

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not up where I live.... We gots us plenty of trees... hard to keep up with turning the Blowdowns, into firewood.... let alone the forest, into Cattle Ranches.... .... YMMV....

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

STAND YOUR GROUND AGAINST THOSE TREES, BT!! Your are the vanguard of our tree defensive shield ---

BTPost likes this.
  7. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Lol
    I was thinking more in the amazon

BT and his trees will be irradiated by the depleting ozone layer

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not as long as the Northern Lights stay lite..... Like Last Night.... Wow, what a show....

9. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

It is estimated that there is more tree cover now in the US than historically (this from a definitively pro-global awareness site). The biggest impact zone of deforestation, the Amazon, has dropped to the lowest level in years, as of December 2011. The big issue with Global Warming, outside of the crappy science and blatantly fraudulent data being circulated, is that the proponents completely disregard and sideline legitimate counter-science showing the precept behind man-made Global Warming (or Climate Change, if you prefer) to be faulty at best. I recommend anyone interested in researching the other side of the coin check out Friends of Science. This is their scientific advisory board no lack of "lettered" legitimate scientists there.

Check out their compiled list of 10 myths and facts about global warming. I also read a regular blog called "No Frakking Consensus" and the author has written at least two books and almost weekely articles rebutting and debunking the Global Warming scam. Yes, I called it a scam. Billions of tax dollars worldwide are pumped into supporting the Global Warming hype.

larryinalabama likes this.
  10. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

I don't doubt you, and after the little that I have seen shown in the MSM, I'm fairly certain the global warming is a scam..

I was being sarcastic..

11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Yeah, I kinda knew that. I was expressing my opinion and sharing some research. It was not directed at you, or in response to your posts (I quote the post I am responding to).

12. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

How about cooling we on Washington are running 5-10 degrees below normal with above average rain. Rained nine inches here last night.

Silversnake likes this.
  13. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

My step sister who I am fairly certain was stillborn, told me Monday that global warming is real because she saw it on the discovery channel.

:facepalm:

fedorthedog and Silversnake like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Most sheeple believe anything on TV to be 'reality'...... "Global Climate Change" has been the norm for, oh...... some 4.5 BILLION years on Earth.
    Man's mere half million years has done little to effect the world temperaturewise. Pollution is a different story, as is deforestation......

Wonder how these Global Warming scammers explain the rise in temps on MARS....? Too many rovers running around?

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

CO2 is not a greenhouse gas...it is a natural by-product of carbon based life forms. Anyone who believes different please put your own life where your beliefs are, and cease breathing for the good of the planet (and with all possible haste)!

16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

CO2 not a greenhouse gas. Say's you! and almost no one else

I will add a link or three to further support the statement of CO2 being consided by our all knowledgeable and supreme government as greenhouse gasses. BTW, I consider Global warming / climate change to not be primarily caused by man. In fact I believe except for some very extreme possibilities (ie; massive thermonuclear bombs), man is insignificant when compared to the SUN.
    Greenhouse Gases, Climate Change, and Energy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas
    http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/gases.html
    Those 3 should be adequate ..... now, if you do not believe that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, I suggest wise up with all possible haste.
    ps; I do not disagree that it is a natural by product of carbon based lifeforms

17. DarkLight

Consider it all they want, doesn't make it so. They consider everyone on this board a potential domestic terrorist too...just sayin'. All those links lost all credibility after the phrase 'all knowing government' ;)

18. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have to wonder whether you even read the original starting post for this thread. This whole thing is about debunking global warming / climate change as a scam or hoax. Greenhouse gasses do exist, and CO2 is one of them. It is both natural occuring and man made as well. CO2 greenhouse gasses have occured at much higher levels than they are at right now in the past. According to the original post, greenhouse gasses have not even been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be the main cause for any significant climate change.

19. DarkLight

*sigh* yes I did read the original post. I also understand the point of the thread. I am also on board with the debunkimg of man as a net contributor to global warming/climate change/cooling/whatever the cause of the month is. My point is that while you can classify CO2 as whatever you want (and yes, I understand how both the ozone layer works and how the greenhouse effect works and how CO2 can contribute to that), saying it's a greenhouse gas, as the left wing radical environmental whack jobs continually do and OMITTING everything else that CO2 is used for/does is simplistic and dangerous. Geeze that was a long sentence.

Forget that it's a byproduct of carbon based life for a second and let's look at the fact that all the tree huggers love...trees. Trees need 4 things to live: sunlight, water, nutrients from the soil and...wait for it, CO2 which they convert into O2 and sugar and other stuff. Without CO2, that poisonous, horrible, greenhouse gas of a pollutant there would be zero trees (actually no chlorophyll producing/using life) and then no O2 and then no us.

More importantly I was being flippant and trying to be funny in my first post. Apparently I failed miserably. I'll move along to another topic I guess. I've been of the opinion that the government has been proving whatever it wants to with sharp enough pencils and enough variables for decades now anyway.

tacmotusn likes this.
  20. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

More support for my position ..... as if needed

Manmade Global Warming Refuted by New Study
    Skeptics of manmade global warming claims can bolster their position with a new study showing that the Earth went through a previous warming period not caused by human CO2 emissions.
    The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has argued that the Medieval Warm Period approximately 500 to 1,000 years ago was confined to Europe and did not affect the entire planet, “which means the worldwide warming we’re experiencing now is a manmade phenomenon,” the Daily Mail observed.
    But a team of scientists led by geochemist Zunli Lu from Syracuse University in New York found the warming was not confined to Europe and actually extended all the way down to Antarctica, affecting the entire planet. The finding indicates that “the Earth has already experienced global warming without the aid of human CO2 emissions,” according to the Mail.
    Following that period, the Earth cooled down naturally and there was even a “mini ice age.”
    Professor Lu’s study — published in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters — relies on a rare mineral called ikaite, an icy version of limestone that forms in cold waters. The water that holds crystals of ikaite together traps information about temperatures present when the crystals were formed.
    Lu’s team studied ikaite crystals from sediment cores drilled off the coast of Antarctica, and the crystals showed that the Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age extended to Antarctica.
    The Mail observed: "Is this finally proof we are not causing Global Warning?"

1. DKR
  2. Meat
  3. oil pan 4
  4. Motomom34
  5. tacmotusn
  6. Seacowboys
  7. Quigley_Sharps
  8. Quigley_Sharps
  9. Quigley_Sharps
  10. hacon1
  11. ghrit
  12. Quigley_Sharps