Go Ahead, Secede Already!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tulianr, May 2, 2013.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well, I think things would go south in a hurry, but the only passage that they would need to worry about is more of a gate, and I hear the hinges are quite hot.....but they would be free to get there in their own way. There was something about a hand-basket, perhaps that is where the good intentions are carried before being strewn like flower petals upon the path.

2. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Not to mention losing some of the best country in the lower 48...

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I know a postal worker that took 6 months off after his child was born and has used this law to the fullest extent. Notice I wrote postal worker, this is a prime example of unions gone crazy.
    CO just started having civil unions but it seems they are still not happy. The gay people want the word marriage. They have the same benefits as a marriage it just isn't called that. Well, people call me short and I don't like that but I am not on a mission to change a definition. It seems rather petty to me.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think many states could be split in half. There are many states that seem to be strongly divided. Because of this division I think we are in real serious trouble.

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

They do NOT have the same benefits federally.

The only real answer to the question is for the government(s) to get out of marriage entirely and quit discriminating between married and unmarried people with regard to SS, taxes, military pay/housing/allowances and all of the other ways the government currently sponsors marriage.

There should be NO laws regarding who can marry...because there should be no legal difference between being a married individual and one who is part of a domestic partnership regardless of what it is called and whether it is sponsored by a church or not. The only really justifiable connection between government and marriage would be the courts enforcing the contractual agreements that are it's basis.

Brokor, tulianr, Mountainman and 3 others like this.

7. I used to be on a big forum called City-Data and I got a very unfavorable impressions from that forum of Alaskans. For those that don't know, City-data is basically a forum that has a separate discussion forum for each state, and each states forum is pretty active with a lot of users, so you are definitely seeing a pretty broad representation of people from each state.

My impression was.... for such a red state, I've never seen such a bunch of [... how do I put this without vulgarity...] government worshippers. Even the so-called Republicans seemed extremely statist.

I got in one too many fights over differences of opinions, so I never much posted in that particular AK group. Among pretty much every other issue, there was just too much support for the states draconian and insanely bureaucratic fishing and game laws (which seems to be, by far, the most bureaucratic in the entire nation).

Most of the people in that group had the attitude like they lived in Los Anchorage, even though some of them were rural. It had to be the "bluest" supposed red state forum I'd ever run across.

YMMV. :)

8. Akheloce

Akheloce Monkey++

curious, what do you specifically not like about our F&G laws?

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You have to remember that Internet has not yet penetrated the bush much... So any people you meet that have been on the Internet for any length of time, are either associated with the Alaska University System, or from a LARGE Community, like LosAnchorage, Juneau, oe SquareBanks... That is where all or LibTards have to live, because they can't make it out in the bush with the REAL Voting Residents... ..... YMMV...

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well said! I completely agree.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7