"God and Guns" Church Service

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Blackjack, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I first heard this story reported on the radio and something struck me as odd.

A church in Louisville, is going to hold an "open carry" service.

<script language="JavaScript">triggerAd(1,PaginationPage,2);</script> Pastor Ken Pagano of New Bethel Church said the first-time event is "basically trying to think a little bit outside the box" to promote "responsible gun ownership and 2nd Amendment rights."

They go on to say that attendees are encouraged to "soft carry" or "wear their guns unloaded and in secure holsters".

Now...... not being christian, though I was raised as one, maybe I'm not seeing this correctly, but it seems to me that carrying unloaded weapons is not celebrating your 2nd amendment rights, it's just an empty display, and ironically, shows us just how far our 2A rights have eroded when they have to ask that the weapons be just that..... empty.

I hope their celebration of god has more substance than their celebration of guns.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Amen and pass the ammo.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

For today's reading A reading from the book of Ayoob? chapter.38?????

4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Typical of todays Churchianity, all show and no bang.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

6. savindude

savindude Monkey++

I think it's a good thing. It's one small step toward having the stigma of "carrying a gun" removed.

7. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

The church's request that "open carry" guns are unloaded would not apply to concealed carry firearms. :)

8. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

My Pastor and I went to Front Sight back in April; we had some great discussions about God and learned a lot about defensive handgun usage. Although I can't speak for him, he probably would'nt do a "Sunday Open-Carry" service.

I don't know the entire situation at the other church (especially if it's the 'media' telling us), so I can't say anything good or bad about it. Although I wouldn't disagree with that kind of service, it might be a little redundant at some places :^).

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

That.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how many people carry on a daily basis that they just don't know about. I'll bet there are many concealed firearms every sunday at that church (and many others).

Many years ago, I worked security at a grocery store for a while. One day one of the cashiers came to me with a very troubled look on her face and told me that there was a guy standing in line with a gun, that she could see it in a holster under his jacket. I explained to her that not only was it not illegal, nor against store policy, but that should a robber/misc bad guy come into the store, the man she pointed out to me would very likely be one of the people that saved her butt. She had no idea that ordinary citizens carry on a daily basis.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7