Godspeed, Scott Carpenter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Well, only one original Mercury Seven left.

Scott Carpenter was the second American to orbit.

Alan Shepard was the first American in space (sub-orbital) followed by the now last remaining Mercury Seven, John Glenn.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

At the beginning of our space program, where amazing guys that paved the way to a new frontier.....

A couple of really good books- one written by Scott and the others in the Mercury 7 team... and the other about Alan Shepard. Both really give insight to the formation of a great adventure. Light This Candle is one of my favorites, regarding the beginning of the space program.... highly recommended.

We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves: M. Scott Carpenter, Gordon L. Cooper, John H. Glenn, Virgil I. Grissom, Walter M. Schirra, Alan B. Shepard, Donald K. Slayton: 9781439181034: Amazon.com: Books

Light This Candle: The Life and Times of Alan Shepard: Neal Thompson: 9781400081226: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

These brave pioneers really took that giant step. Used to lay out at night in the clover field and watch the Russian Sputnik come across the sky about every 45 minutes. Lots of things have changed since those carefree summer nights.

4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

One by one the heroes of my youth fall.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7