Going Primal - My 90 Day Journey to Health

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by melbo, Aug 20, 2013.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Me neither... now I do and it was effortless - kinda feel like I cheated :)
    40ish never felt so good

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just wait till you hit 60ish....

ForumMonkey, Tully Mars and CRC like this.
  3. melbo

My aim is to halt or slow the aging process. Getting rid if the Frankenwheat (in the market since 1985) should help. The strain we eat isn't your grandfathers wheat...

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I was raised on Potato Bread, as My mother was allergic to Bleached Flour.... That is what my pallet likes even now...

5. Vetter

Vetter Monkey+

I'm looking at an empty coke can on my desk from yesterday, and Holy Crap!
    6/day is conservative!
    840 cals
    234g carbs
    Thats just from coke!

6. melbo

Mark Sisson, author of the Primal Blueprint, just turned 60:
    ms1.PNG ms2.PNG ms5.PNG ms3.PNG ms4.PNG

Hanzo and ditch witch like this.
  7. melbo

8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I'm game to give it a try. Now to get the hubby onboard.

9. billwilson

billwilson Monkey

Thank u!

10. melbo

My inbox has gotten lots of questions about my program over the past few days. I'm here to help with the finer details but you really need to buy the book to get some foundational knowledge. The Primal Blueprint will help you understand what's going on and give you the background on why...

It also helps to have these cookbooks: The Primal Blueprint Cookbook & Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals

I plan to start a food journal thread (with pics) and I'll be referencing page numbers from these books. If you buy 3, Sisson gives you 25% off.

11. tact

tact Monkey

I bought the book last night and read the first 80 pages in no time. I have been resistant to this way of thinking for quite some time. I am in really good shape, eat what i had considered healthy, crossfit for the last year or so, and have 9% BF at 40, but having said all that I am excited to begin this journey and improve my overall well being. I truly believe this is what I have been missing. I just wish I hadn't been do stubborn and started earlier.

melbo likes this.
  12. melbo

My wife was an aerobics class regular (4-5 times a week) for the last 25 years. She stopped doing prolonged 'chronic' cardio and started the new program 3 months ago and has seen enormous gains (and losses) in all the right places. She hasn't been to her Zumba class since working with Primal Fitness.

I was resistant too. Whenever I saw someone toss the hamburger bun aside at a restaurant, I thought 'it's just bread - eat it'. Now I understand.

Primal is a fork of Cordain's Paleo (with higher fat, nuts and dairy). I think Paleo is the unofficial diet of Crossfit.

Silversnake likes this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I hope this continues to work out for you! I don't know if there's as much science to it as it may appear, but cutting carbs is a good way to go. As one of my rules (and I have many, most are pretty good, some not so good) I tend not to take advice from anybody residing in California, so I hope Mark isn't from that communist country. I have added Hawaii to the list recently, too. However, if the author of this "Primal" routine falls in line with my own thinking, he might be an exception if he does live with the zombie clones of Cali.

I generally eat anything I want, as long as it's natural or raw. I will not eat GMO foods, and definitely stay clear of anything with high fructose corn syrup. The only bread I eat is all natural potato bread with no gluten and no HFC. I eat lots of meats, lots of veggies and choose more berries over fruits, but not a lot of fruits. I tend to eat only once or twice a day with light snacking all around. I eat a very good amount of nuts, dark chocolate and natural beef jerky (no additives or preservatives) for snacking. Most of the time I rarely get hungry. I have always been this way (outside the military), and I am not too active. I am pushing 40, still look and feel like I am 20.

This is all just common sense to me.

14. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, I've been on a "paleo"/low carb/primal type lifestyle for 2 weeks now. I did this type of diet before, after reading a book called "the metabolism miracle", and it worked. But then I went back to my old eating habits, and quickly put back on the 15lbs I lost.

I'm going to try do the 21 day challenge. Let me read up on it (got the kindle version of the book) and I'll start a thread on it, to keep from cluttering up Melbo's thread.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  15. melbo

Malibu to be precise... but I think that's because he wants to be able to let his body produce 12,000 to 15,000 IU of Vitamin D 99% of the year :)

The problem with Common Sense is that it is often not Good Sense. When Good, it's not very Common.
    Common Sense is like Conventional Wisdom - quite often misinformed, out of date and flawed. 'They' released the restrictions on Salt years ago but the herd continues to try to limit salt intake. They retracted earlier (and unfounded) claims that saturated fat (animal or coconut oil) were responsible for clogged arteries and heart disease but the general population still refers to a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon as a 'heart attack on a plate'. Major studies have been published about the dangers and ill effects of the modern strain of GMO franken-wheat that accounts for 99.9% of today's food grade wheat yet people still continue to think whole grains are 'heart healthy'. People are concerned about cholesterol intake when cholesterol is the bodies repair substance. If it's present in high levels its an indication that your body is attempting to repair arteries (never veins) from oxidation caused by carbs, insulin and wheat inflammation. Blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming the firefighters for the fire. Heck, most of the population thinks TSA checkpoints are for terrorists ;)

Dr. William Davis, MD wrote an excellent book called Wheat Belly. He blames wheat for nearly all modern disease in man based on the GMO lab created nature of this high yield, dwarf strain. He is a cardiologist who reverses his patients heart disease by removing wheat (and most all grains) from their diet. He calls the addition of wheat to foods like chewing gum, canned nuts, licorice, etc akin to the tobacco industry elevating nicotine levels to cause addiction. Modern foods that have wheat added make you hungrier, hungry people buy more of the product.

tact, Brokor and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  16. tact

tact Monkey

I thought it was all common sense as well, until I read it, but to each his own.

17. Brokor

Well, he may still be a yuppie, but a healthy yuppie.
    Yes, I should have typed, "perfect sense to me" instead of "common sense", which implies that it is commonly held by the average clone.
    lol, awesome. That's quotable. :)
    Cool, I might check that out! And, I didn't know that about canned nuts, chewing gum or licorice (none of which I use).

Also, I just remembered, I eat pasta once per week. *gasp*! I guess I'm not perfect after all ;)

18. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Dude....you gotta try making a lasagna with chili and cheese curds.
    Even if you just use Stag chili out of a can....it's so worth it.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  19. Brokor

:sick:

Yard Dart, Quigley_Sharps and kellory like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Great job and Congrats

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Ariasmith
  10. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. jefferson
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7