Going under the radar before going off grid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GhostX, Aug 29, 2016.

1. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

I've been putting this off for too long I think. I'm sure some of you will yell at me for using Google chrome and a smartphone to make this profile here on survival monkey. I am about 75% awake to the grand scheme of things, I think, but I could use some advice to become fully anonymous when using the internet to gather my needed information.

I have tor on my computer along with a free VPN called cyberghost and an app called ghostry on my phone. I'm just curious what else can be done to go off the radar before I go any farther down this rabbit hole.

2. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

I would think trying to be totally anonymous on the internet would have the reverse effect. Certain agencies might take interest in those people.

Shotgunpapa, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  3. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

True, but I don't plan on doing anything illegal. I just want to do basic things on the internet without being tracked. I don't want to contribute to that profile that is being compiled with every digital footprint I make. I realize that Google chrome is one of the worst apps I can use for that though. Soon I want to clean house and create an alias that cannot be linked back to me.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You want to be so overt its covert.

Think of it like a moon shiner, who are they going to catch first, the guy on I-95 driving along like everyone else or the guy wandering lost on the back roads obviously trying to avoid the cops?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Shotgunpapa, Ganado and Oltymer like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Isn't Duckduckgo supposed to be one of the better search engines?
    DuckDuckGo

Tully Mars and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Install the TOR browser to get better anonymity, and yes there are some search engines like DudkDuckGo that don't track what you do. Google, in particular, has a business model that includes selling tracking history.

Like @MountainMariner mentions going completely under the RADAR can draw attention, so continue to use your regular browser for some things. Install NoScript and adjust as needed for some web sites to work by only allowing essential scripts to run that you are certain aren't up to no good.

Social websites are the absolute worst for keeping track of you and what you are doing especially coupled with a smart phone app that tracks your location as well.

Brokor and Oltymer like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This might seem obvious, but for a personal computer, use Linux. Any major Linux distro is ready to go right at install. I suggest Mint for those new to Linux, personally. Most tracking and adware is targeted toward IE and Microsatan operating systems, but much of it is also browser based. This is why you use Firefox and set it up for high security. The next level, is to use TOR. Just by doing this, you will be way ahead of the pack.

And don't use phones with internet capabilities, if possible. That is, if you're serious about dropping out. Buy a pre-paid phone with cash and recharge by purchasing airtime in cash. Pretty simple. Hardcore mode --unplug the battery to the phone when not in use and store inside an RF proof bag. [reddevil]

Also, if you're into dropping out entirely...that's another subject. It involves getting rid of your bank account, drivers license, social security, and requires you to either be self sufficient or working under the table somehow. Another route is to obtain fake identities, but that's *hush hush* and illegal and stuff. ;)

Tully Mars, Ganado and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. 10brokenpromises

10brokenpromises Monkey++

The advice so far is spot on and one of the single most important aspects is to not draw attention to yourself. A massive change in behavior will draw unwanted attention. Until you "up and disappear", you have to keep up appearances.

Think Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Even without going the false identity route, you absolutely must have a second persona that you use online. If you want that persona to be anonymous then you have to:
    • Only use it when your connection is anonymized,
    • Never use it in connection with anything that is tied to your non anonymous identity, meaning bank accounts, credit cards, addresses, etc
    • Give false but believable information when constructing the persona and remember what you used, don't get tripped up later,
    • As mentioned, use TOR at the very least on a Linux machine. Better would be to use tails with persistence,
    • DO NOT EVER use your anonymous persona on the clear web,
    • Avoid illegality with your persona
    • Get a prepaid phone (they are cheap) for cash at a convenience store and top it off with their cards, for cash,
    • Use TOR if possible to register the phone if required and your VPN if TOR won't work, and use false information,
    • Buy anything anonymous with cash,
    • Don't get attached to your new persona so that you can ditch it at any time. This is also important so that you don't invest your real self into the persona and out yourself without meaning to,
    • Use prepaid credit or debit cards if you must use that technology but ordering over the Internet for delivery with the new persona will tie it to the real you so don't do that.
    This is actually a very short list and just the beginning of what needs to be done to check out.

I won't get into other details because it's late and I'm tired but keep in mind that disappearing or going off the radar is becoming more and more difficult and to do so requires a level of commitment that most people are unwilling to give it.

Tully Mars, DarkLight, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

The sad thing is that the above really only scratches the surface. If you can't follow those basics though, you don't stand a chance of unplugging successfully.

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My Security comes from "Hiding in Plain Sight" but doing so from far out in the Alaskan Bush.... I have such a HISTORY with the .GOV that over the Years I have accumulated an extensive Security File, with numerous .GOV Agencies.... I actually got to see the FBI File, when I was going thru the Interview Process when I was being Hired, as a FED, with the FCC.... It was about 1/2" thick, and had many things NOTED, that I never knew, they KNEW about.... Oh Well... They have my FingerPrints, many times over, from different Security Clearance & Licensing Applications, both State and Federal. NO DNA, that I am aware off, YET.... Knowing that all that already exists, my Security comes from Distance, and Costs, to actually fly all the way out here, to do whatever they decide they need to do.... In 30 years as an FFL, I have been inspected exactly ONCE.... 20+ Years ago... It just isn't worth their trouble to fly the ONE ATF Resident Agent, in Alaska, all the way out here, to check my Paperwork, for the little Business, that I do conduct, every year.... I keep ALL my Family & Private Comms, End to End Encrypted, so if they want to spend the effort, and time, to break that, Go for it Boys.... Other wise I have a FaceBook Account that I rarely use, and only to keep up with the GrandKids... No Twitter... I run my own eMail Server, on a DarkNet Machine, that lives in my Partners Basement, in a Large PNW City... and sits on a T3 Line... All my Family and Private Comms are secured with 4096Bit GPG Encryption, and if it is REALLY PRIVATE, I use MonkeyNet OnePAD Technology inside the Encrypted Comms. This was all setup years ago, and UpGraded as the technology advanced, so IF, "They" are looking, They have been seeing the Same TYPES of Things for years... and IF "They" want to spend their time, breaking into My Comms, It is their time to waste....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Think Bruce Wayne & Batman, Clark Kent and Superman, etc. You want to have a nice vanilla, "normal" looking life to anyone who is looking, while your sensitive activities are off the radar and not easily tracked back to you or whomever you include in those activities.

I use Google Chrome, Gmail, read Google news, search with Google, have a credit card, credit union account, mortgage, a job and an otherwise normal life...I can't say what I my alter-ego does or uses, cuz if I did he/she would have to kill me.

Ganado likes this.
  12. Brokor

For crying out loud, whatever you do, DO NOT use the fancy "membership" tags they offer you at every gas station, convenience store, and grocery store. These free memberships/clubs that you belong to may save you money, but they are instituted primarily to track and trace movements and secondarily, to market your information or buying profile to other corporations.

If you pay with cash and use one of these at checkout, you've just defeated the purpose of paying with cash. If you are really into becoming a ghost, you will wear a disguise (hat, glasses, etc.), stay clear of cameras (and use IR lighting to block at night), and never follow the same routine. But, that is all pretty serious and it definitely qualifies you to be suspect in this day and age with the police state and all.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That said, if you must use them for discounts or whatever, do NOT fill in mailing addresses, phone numbers, cell numbers, email addys and license plate numbers. You'll still get the discounts, they will know you buy Northern TP, but they won't find you quite as easily. And when you fall off the map, it'll be that much more difficult to find you.

Brokor likes this.
  14. Brokor

Absolutely. Just remember, the only drawback is point of sale footage from any possible cameras. But, if your information isn't filled in, or by chance, inaccurate --all the better.

I still use one which belongs to a lady I met at the checkout. She didn't mind at all if I used her spare club card since I never use the points. She gets all the rewards of the points, we each get the savings, but I get the better deal.

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

One of the stores locally won't give you the card until they scan the Barcode on your drivers license. The fact that they have that stance is one thing, that they are somehow tied into the DMV is another altogether and quite disturbing. I told them no thanks.

Brokor, Tully Mars, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  16. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

It's not that they are tied into the DMV, it's more that they can get your name, address, license number and date of birth from the scan. I had to create an app that does just that for our dealers...when a new customer comes on the tool truck and makes a purchase (especially if being extended credit), rather than manually entering their information by typing they just run the driver's license by their barcode scanner and all that info populates their POS app. But obviously grocery stores and gas stations and such are not extending credit, so all they need to know is my name, Joe Doe...Jr.

Ganado likes this.
  17. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

And my phone # 867-5309... Or is that Jenny's number? I forget.

Brokor, techsar, VisuTrac and 3 others like this.
  18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's Jenny's. She's a little bit older now but oh so much wiser.

Brokor, Ganado and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  19. 10brokenpromises

10brokenpromises Monkey++

This is a topic that has been brought up before, at least tangentially, but I haven't seen anything really come of it. I can't do it alone, otherwise I'd simply start the thread but I've seen too many die after three replies to want to waste the time. Is there seriously enough interest in what you would need to do to:
    • Create a totally new online persona
    • Build up a network via that persona
    • Use that persona for whatever reason in the interest of dropping off the radar as it were without raising too many eyebrows ahead of time
    Just curious as there's a lot more to it than using TOR to search anonymously.

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well I spoke with a guy who does this type of thing one time.... he said, be a john smith, even if you have to create multiple identites for 'insert your name' and have them have different personalities.

He told me you can't fool the databases or searches, you can only increase your security by making them look thru a huge number of profiles with your name, that way you become anonymous. I happen to have a unique name so he told me I was either going to have to spend alot of money or just hope for the best and don't get caught. lol

Brokor likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. HK_User
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. BelBol
  7. Bishop
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Seacowboys