Gold And Silver/ Good Investment? or Fools Gold?

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Gopherman, Oct 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

• Gold and Silver will plummet!
    • Economic collapse will happen!
    • Putting all your money into Gold and Silver is a Mistake!!!
    • German Calls for Gold Repatriation Intensify As Fed Refuses to Allow Inspection
      Posted on November 22, 2012 by The Doc

[​IMG]Calls for Germany to repatriate its 1,536 tons of gold reserves held at the NY Fed are intensifying as Der Spiegel reports the Federal Reserve has refused to allow German inspectors to even view the country’s massive gold reserves “in the interest of security and of the control process“.

We have stated repeatedly that with repatriation and/or audit requests completed or in progress by Venezuela, Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands, The BOE and the Fed suddenly find themselves in a heap of trouble as the situation (and confidence that the Central banks actually still hold the tungsten gold reserves on deposit) is rapidly deteriorating.
      More on the Fed’s non-compliance with German requests to view/inspect their own gold below.

• Isaiah 2:20 NKJV
      In that day a man will cast away his idols of silver And his idols of gold, Which they made, each for himself to worship, To the moles and bats,
    • Ezekiel 7:19
      19 'They will throw their silver into the streets, And their gold will be like refuse; Their silver and their gold will not be able to deliver them In the day of the wrath of the Lord; They will not satisfy their souls, Nor fill their stomachs, Because it became their stumbling block of iniquity.
    • James 5:1-8
      Warning to Rich Oppressors
      1 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.

2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I'm a big fan of some gold and silver but have much more invested in other tangible things.

Gopherman likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I suspect that come SHTF, you will be able to collect all the Gold and Silver you want in exchange for food, simple comfort items, ammunition, clean water and perhaps portable shelter, a blanket and decent hiking boots.

4. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I put away a couple of oz per week and have done so since 1993. In 2008 those silver rounds with some other savings kept my butt out of the fire. I have sold all of my paper assets with the exception of my IRA ( which is a 50:50 mix of cash and a S&P index fund) I will probably pick up my buying in light of the recent price decreases. The reason i purchase silver is as a hedge for bad economic times and not for shtf. I will not be looking to trade anything i have for precious metals if things do go upside down; for me it will be all about the three B's, beans, bullets, and band-aids.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

all that silver/gold are is a hedge against inflation and uncertain times.
    if we know that it's truly the end, it's not worth squat, but that is why you have other things like food, water, shelter and a means of replenishing/rebuilding them.

We hold due to uncertainty, we invest/divest wisely, and we don't fool ourselves into keeping our eggs in one basket.

6. Gopherman

I put this in the Religion Section Initially because of the Biblical references that I believe are very relevant to what is going on right now all over the world. Not sure why this thread was moved?
    Putting faith in a metal that will not feed you or your family is a fools errand!
    If the banks are closed, and you can't get to your money, How much Money do you have?
    Hyper- inflation is on it's way, just like in Venezuela
    Hyperinflation is forcing Venezuela to print hundreds of millions of extra banknotes – Quartz
    During WWII Germans had to take wheel barrel loads of cash around with them, just to buy food!
    We are artificially stabilizing the collapse by printing money as fast as the presses can turn, sooner than later they will make owning Gold Illegal to the Common Man!
    "Never Happen" you say! Think again, it has already happened before and they will not hesitate to do i t again and give you a mountain of ink on paper to wipe your but with in exchange!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. Gopherman

What would you do with it? Paperweights?

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It was moved due to the much heavier emphasis on pms and money matters than religion. The scriptural relevance is there, but not what seems to be the main point - ghrit

9. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

10. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

For starters, "putting all your money" into any one thing is a mistake.

You seem to have already decided that gold/silver is a poor investment, so what is the point of this topic? I can't tell if you are sincerely warning us or questioning your own position and looking for validation.

It's true that you cannot eat gold; it's also true that you can't pay your way through this world with Bibles and beef jerky.

So my question is, what would be a good instrument of trade in the (probably long) time period between when printed currency is not worth anything and when we enter a "Mad Max" scenario where the guy who hoarded MREs and 9mm bullets will have every right to gloat? It reminds me of a sailor who was afraid his ship would sink so he packed all the food and supplies he needed to survive but didn't bother to bring a lifeboat.

I agree this topic should have probably been left in the religion section since it promotes prayer and faith as an acceptable substitute for objective planning and forethought. That's not a deliberate put-down; I just flatly disagree with the premise that if you can't eat it, wear it, or shoot with it, then it isn't worth having.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  11. 44044

44044 Monkey+++

If PM's were going to be worth so much

The people that were selling them would be keeping them...

Gopherman likes this.
  12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

You can always cast bullets with it....

Gopherman likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Good for werewolves, I hear....

Gopherman likes this.
  14. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Make cups for cider and tea.

Gopherman likes this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Nah, too high a temp needed and they are deformed when they exit the super hot mold.

Stick to PB.

16. Gopherman

Kinda soft ,but they would mushroom quite well I would imagine!

17. Gopherman

There are a lot of things that are worth as much as Gold and Silver, and more practical.
    From a high of $1,900 to $1,100 and change as of Friday!
    • [​IMG]
    Although,when Anarchy Strikes I highly doubt people are going to want your Gold and Silver, they most likely will want those things you just mentioned after the initial
    first month. When it becomes Illegal to own Gold and PM's again, what good will it do you then anyway.
    Again
    "Never Happen" you say! Think again, it has already happened before and they will not hesitate to do it again, and they'll give you a mountain of ink on paper to wipe your butt with in exchange!
    They could declare it tomorrow morning and you wouldn't have any say in the matter at all.
    The Great Confiscation: Gold ownership was illegal in the USA from 1933 to 1975
    FACT'S ARE STUBBORN THINGS!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    oldawg and Brokor like this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Guns hold their value. :cool:

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not if you do not have, and can't get the correct ammunition.....

20. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Gold and silver are only a post SHTF item of value. Once your paper investments are worth nothing PM's will be the first thing of value in the recovery. Build your preps first and buy PM's if you have extra money to invest. Agree with what was already posted, PM's will not be worth shit during SHTF unless your dealing with someone that has a lot of preps to spare.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. GhostX
  6. OldDude49
  7. duane
  8. OldDude49
  9. Brokor
  10. Minuteman
  11. chelloveck
  12. Mindgrinder