Golf Carts Anyone?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Gator 45/70, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

If one was to have a golf cart say a 36v or 48v
    To have around to run a small inverter for a few hours, What would fit the bill better?
    36 or 48 volts and why?
    Please be gentle since I'm a knuckle dragg'n squatch at times....lol

SB21 likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe most will tell you 48 volts.
    Personally when I built my solar and battery bank I chose 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries primarily because many devices are built to work in 6 volt steps and a few lights I have are 6 volt LED. I have 12 volt lights as well throughout the house. My inverter is 12 volt I use in emergencies only. bench grinder, refrigerator, etc.
    I suppose I could wire for 48 volts if I had the inverter for it, but I'm strapped for $$$ at the moment.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Golf cart battery (6VDC) one of the least expensive FLA batteries out there.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

six X 8Vdc = 48 volt battery pack (costco usa sell them) T108
    6 X 6Vdc = 36 volt T105 ,s = sold all over.

IMG_2886.JPG
    Xantrax 3548 inverter that feeds the power cords.
    blue plug is used to have the main battery bank parallel with the golf cart for quick recharge IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG
    3 145watt 45Vdc panels in series feeds the KID CC above

IMG_2885.JPG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Go for 48 Vdc on the Battery Bank.. Most High Power Inverters are Designed around 48Vdc..Very few if any are designed for 36 Vdc…

6. Cruisin Sloth

As BT said , 48Vdc to 12Vdc converters are out there as with 24Vdc to 12Vdc , but 36Vdc is hard and normally found in marine $$$.
    I have headlight and flood lights just under solar panels and I needed them last night.
    We ran late into dark last night processing a Ram..
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Look's like 48v for the win !!! Thanks men.

SB21 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

48v, you can get a wide selection of bad ass power inverters, charge controller and panels, usually two 24v panels for 48v.
    36v usually has one power inverter in production at any given time. 36v costs more and the selection sucks.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

That line is incorrect to charge 48Vdc bank, I bulk in at 59.4 Vdc and Equ at 60.34Vdc to keep the cells topped and balanced for the T108 8Vdc 4 cell battery . what you posted will not even trickle charge them Sir.
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A "24 volt panel" makes over 30 volts. I didn't literally mean 24 volt panels, I meant panels appropriate for a 24v system.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Thats ok sir, just so the OP didn't get confused.
    mine are 135Vdc from panels in series into a MPPT KID that takes that extra voltage down for the 48Vdc bank and gives it more Amps to charge.

My house setup is 36 Panels of 350 Watt per 3S12P
    Freezer room is 8 panels 2S4P on a 24Vdc setup
    In total here I have 5 stand alone setups"Elly" golf cart being one
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Nikita

Nikita On Hiatus Banned

Golf carts are small vehicles designed primarily for transporting golfers and their equipment around a golf course. They typically feature a battery-powered electric motor or gas engine and are equipped with seating for two passengers and a small cargo area for golf bags. While they are most commonly used on golf courses, golf carts are also Zumbalicious utilized in other settings such as gated communities, resorts, and industrial facilities for transportation over short distances.

In recent years, golf carts have gained popularity beyond traditional golfing applications. They are now used for various purposes including personal transportation in retirement communities, on college campuses, and for recreational purposes in parks and campgrounds. Additionally, modified golf carts known as "street-legal" or "neighborhood electric vehicles" (NEVs) are permitted for use on public roads in certain jurisdictions where they are subject to specific regulations regarding safety features and speed limits.

Overall, golf carts provide a convenient and eco-friendly mode of transportation for short trips and leisure activities in a wide range of settings.

13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7