Good all around bush/camp/work knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bandit99, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chimo
    "The knife is made of HRC58 carbon steel with a teflon coating, with a very sturdy, hard rubber handle. As the blade is not serrated and very simple in design, it is easy to sharpen and keeps an edge surprisingly well, depending, of course, on how you use it."
    J.P. Peltonen Sissipuukko - Varusteleka.com

A lot of people eat what is cooked in Telfon coated cookware.
    As Teflon is slippery, I am sure it would slide in and out easily.. ;);)

I prefer an knife with a thick spine..

No comments on Marine proof? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
    Seepalaces likes this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Sorry, I was talking about the Ka-Bar Becker BK-16, which has a gunky black coating and is made of 1095 cro-van. I misread your post.

If you want a thick spine, you'll love the BK-2, which is a good 1/4 inch thick...both are plenty Marine proof. They have survived me anyway. ;)

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Taking care of your carbon steel tools and knives you already know. Clean or wipe after use and once in a while a wipe with oily rag. For kitchen knives same thing only I use vegetable oil instead of crankcase oil. The forced patina or browning process is simply a thin layer of oxidation. It was used originally on blades and gun barrels to slow up rust and pitting before "stainless alloys" or barrel bluing became common. It's color depends on the make up of the metal and the acid used. On a mora it comes out a medium charcoal with onion. My Chicago cutlery knives come out almost black. My Henry belt knife has a mottled grayish pattern to the patina. Yes, every couple years or longer re do it. It' cheap,fast and looks better than rust red divots in the blades. Best I can do for an explanation. I'm not a bladesmith and learned this 50 years ago from an old,even then, black smith. A short search will turn up many vids and how tos on forcing a patina.

Seepalaces and AxesAreBetter like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I forgot to warn you...I didn't like the heavy. Diminishing returns. Also, I cut my hand open during an accident shooting a vid of the Ontario to show you...typing is slow, and I'll link the vid in a few days.

Seepalaces likes this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Can't like this, but thank you for making the vid.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Not a prob. What's a deep 1/2" cut between friends? Haha.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Although it goes against my typical likes; I really like my sissipuukko as it was a gift from a good friend. The Ka-Bar is a good utility and fighter. Works well with the "claw and hammer" style.

I have a 1917 British pattern 14 Bayonet or US model 1917 Enfield Remington Bayonet; that was modified and issued to the French Foreign Legion. As they both look the same, I can't tell if it was a Brit or US 1917. I picked it up in SE Asia.
    French WWII Knives at FightingKnives

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like the Kabar as a butcher/fighter (it is a butcher style Bowie pattern). At least in my AO, no where near the best bush blade. Wouldn't turn one down, there is just a lot out there that works better.

For me, a Kabar is too short for a main fighter, too light for Bowie, and not a good enough carver to replace my main woods blade. BUT, I still own one, and still take it into risky places.

I do like the look of the BK9 and some of the others, but I can't seem to find a production Bowie that fits my taste.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    Finding a knife that suits all of one's needs is difficult; if not impossible. The problem, no one tool fits all needs; therefore. all tools are a compromise in some respects.
    So what is the best "bush blade" when all the choices cannot do it all???

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

In my AO, the French in the 1730's are well documented carrying 7 blades on them to take care of everything they came across day to day. Made me a lot more comfortable carrying 2 to 7 of my own to suit my needs.
    It's finding a blade that cuts my list down to 2 or 3 blades instead of 6 or 8 that I look for these days. Especially when "fighting knife" is on the list. Not a lot of good stuff out there for what I do with mine.

When it comes time to pack out, it's a simple checklist.
    What's Legal.
    What do I need to do.
    What do I have that will do that.
    What is my backup plan.
    What are the perceived threats and surprises.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    I'm a southern boy so (IMO) what is legal isn't really important as we are both legal to CCW. Add when I'm packing out and it becomes totally unimportant.
    2 to 7 isn't practical. I carry a 3.75" folder. a small lock blade and a smaller Swiss Army. Mainly because it has a tooth pick, scissors, a nail file and a pretty much useless blade. Unless I need to open mail.

As far as perceived threats, I have a pistol and a 12ga.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

2 to 7 is practical for me. I go tool heavy. My E.D.C. is at least a swiss army and a fixed blade for serious bushcraft or "Get'em off me" reasons...I will say that the French were dealing with muzzleloaders and no pistols, but the issue is the same.

I would count and e-tool of any sort in that blade quota. Heck, hitting the woods, gonna have at least a work blade, multitool, fighting blade, and an ax of some sort. Plus ranged weapon(s). Not tripping about it, I just leave some of the more useless stuff at home, and keep an eye on building stuff in the field. You can't go forever in some scraggly wickiup made from leaf litter...in my AO, you better like being wet, muddy, overheated, and sick, if you don't have something to build easy and heavyduty off the ground.
    In my BOB, not in my standard field bag, I carry 1000 foot of cordage. Super important out here.

I like a swiss army for light stuff. Used to hate them, but I'm coming around. Anything I need to get done, whip out a real knife. I like something in the 3 1/2" to 5" range for work knife, something in excess of 8" for fighting steel, preferably in the 11"-16" category, paired with a hand ax at that size, or a proper weapon like a sword...once was a time I would strap on a cavalry saber, brace of six guns, cartridge belt, a bowie, and some other junk, just to go sit on my buddies stoop and drink. Good days, gone forever. Picked up some bad habits though. Haha. Don't see any problems packing all the good stuff, if you can fit it into a system you can run.

Hardest part for me is picking between the hunting sword (cuttoe) and the battle ax for heading toward trouble with.

13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Don't know squat about knives. I have a Buck 119 that's been hanging around with me since the 80s. Could never get the thing very sharp. I have an old Ka-Bar folder that my father used to clean fish with back in the late 40's or 50's.

P4040002.JPG
    Looks as if it's seen better days.

Ganado likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

More importantly, it's still looking.

15. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Don't get me wrong...I love that sissipuukko...I think it has a more suitable grind for all-around camp chores than any of the Ka-bars.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Hopefully this works. Haha. Ontario spec-6.

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As there are so many good knives available. a sissipuukko costs way more than I am willing to pay and that is without the Suomi crest. The grip sticks to my hand no matter if wet or dry. The roller lock secures the knife and is silent when getting it out. A very well done package.

I like Tikka and Sako also. :) Finns get the art of the rifle. BTW, Tikka is woodpecker in Suomi.

18. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My knives arrival today and WOW! I no sooner got the Moras out of the box then my wife snagged the Crafts knife but that's okay because I bought it for her. I am blown away with this Heavy Companion for only about $17 it's a steal and it's razor sharp. I think I will order a couple more as want one for the truck and my toolbox.

I also ordered (got myself a present) the BK16 and I love it, LOVE IT! It's small, light and nimble.

So, I can stick my BK2 Companion away now and take it out if need something heavy as got two great knifes that are a bit better for small normal work.

oldawg likes this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Happy for you. I have one of the heavies...bit overbuilt for what I am doing with them, but glad you like. Get em in the bush, and you'll like them more.

You check out that vid I put up for y'all?

20. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The Spec-6 and the Tomahawk? Yep! Hell'va knife! I think he should have left the tomahawk at home and brought hand axe. :) I carry a small Fiskars hatchet in the truck, lightweight and does the job well.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Hanzo