Good all around bush/camp/work knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bandit99, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@chimo
    What are you using for a sheath for your BK16 as not crazy about the one that came with it, too long. I prefer Kydex but can't find an after market one for the BK16?

Also, what did you mean when you said, "I put a grinder to it to make sure I had a good 90 degree edge for sparking fire steels."
    You ground off the black coating on the spine? It appears to have a good flat spine so don't understand what you mean.

I haven't tried a fire steel with it yet but think that black coating might be a problem.

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Yeup.

I have tried Fiskars, had an ax and a splitting maul. Turned the edged into saw blade looking sorry sob's. Was trying to split out some seasoned oak, and kept having to hit it harder because it would not split. Apparently, there was a knot in it, and it chewed both blades so bad, I gave them to the first person to ask to look at 'em. Hope you have better luck.

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yeah, I should have warned you about the "snagging by wife" deal. Mine has,so far, glommed on to three of mine. Two craft and one companion. Likes the companion as "her" camp knife. Same thing seems to have happened to a Kershaw camp 14,Buck nighthawk,and two multi tools. Wife is now better equipped than I am. Maybe I should practice more opsec when ordering gear. :cautious:

AxesAreBetter and kellory like this.
  4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I use the Spec-Ops Combat Master short sheath...I keep my stone, a fire steel, some tinder and a couple of water purification tabs in the pouch.
    [​IMG]

For a Kydex option you might try a Grizzly Elite
    [​IMG]

As far as the finish...I totally removed the black enamel finish using KleenStrip, then used my grinder on the spine to ensure a good squared edge (it's not the best out-of-the-box), then used some apple-cider vinegar to force a nice patina to the entire knife.

[​IMG]

kellory likes this.
  5. Bandit99

@chimo Thanks!

Why did you remove the black enamel finish?

Is the Spec-Ops combat sheath shorter than the one that came with it and does the blade lock into the sheath, a tight fit, or must you snap the nylon restrainers?

6. chimo

Because
    a) it's gonna come off anyway with usage...and look like crap as it does
    b) I really don't want to be eating that crap as it comes off on the food items I may be cutting/slicing
    c) less blade resistance

The Spec-Ops sheath is probably close to the same length (I never really compared them) and while the blade will lock...it's best to snap the retainer strap.

kellory and AxesAreBetter like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Looks nice with the wood on it. Classy, even.

8. Bandit99

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. chimo

I've got friends with those sheaths...you should be happy with one.

As far as the finish on your new knife...I would advise using it as is for a spell, then deciding for yourself whether you like the factory finish or not...then if you decide you want to strip it and force a patina, there are lots and lots of videos and forum posts out there that will guide you through the process. I've seen some really cool patinas created using things like citrus and mustard...I chose the vinegar because I wanted something dull and boring. ;)

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Been told that boiled vinegar will make a food safe blackening...haven't had a need to try it yet, though.

11. chimo

That's what I used. Make sure the surface is clean...use some denatured alcohol, before dipping into the vinegar. The longer you keep it dipped, the darker the patina. Start light...rinse and repeat as necessary. Apple-cider vinegar will give you a nice matte-like patina. If you feel creative, you can use mustard or paper towels or whatever you come up with to create patterns.

A cup or glass milk jug works well...you can use a paper clip and/or some thread and a dowel to suspend the knife in the vinegar.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with that.

13. Bandit99

Great! Thanks @chimo !!! I think that is exactly what I will do as too busy working outdoors to do anything else right now. I will check out some videos but the color of yours looks awesome! Thanks so much for the advice on the sheath also. I will probably go with Azwelke then...why wait two months.

@AxesAreBetter thanks so much for the advice. And, thanks for taking the time to enlighten me about the Mora. Hell'va knife for the price and I will always be keeping a few of them around now. Thanks!

14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

No problem man. I live for gear review and debate. Haha.

15. Bandit99

Update... I received my BK-16 knife and it's wonderful but the sheath super sucks. I have ordered a Kydex sheath on 9 April from AZWELKE and we are in the queue, ~14 days. I ordered a 'Taco' version for the Kydex instead of a pancake version and hoping I didn't screw up because I have never had a taco Kydex...not sure what I was thinking but we will see. I have not stripped the factory finish yet due to lack of time but seriously considering it for the next set of rainy days we get.

16. chimo

Pancake would have two separate pieces of Kydex, while a Taco would be a single piece folded over. You fill each with your favorite fixings...including a knife. ;)

17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Or a good tomato, or Ospho.

Ganado likes this.
  18. Bandit99

@chimo or @AxesAreBetter
    It looks like I might get a break and have more time and I would like to strip the black junk off my new knife.

Is KleenStrip the way to do it and if so how do I do it? Just soak it for a day or so then rub it off? I guess I am asking if there is anything special I need to do?

19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I took the plunge, waded through the Finnish Paytrail-account ,
    (Finnish Web Payments (Suomen Verkkomaksut) is now Paytrail.) ordered the long'n and waited only 14 days.

The knife is great and I may well order the short one too.

After wading through the projected cost they were, knife, 64.51 Euro, shipping 8.95 Euro, Oheisella koodilla saat 1 Euro.
    My US Total=$83.00, A small amount for such a good knife.

As always, make sure VAT was not part of the cost.

[​IMG]
    "No comments on Marine proof?"

I have never found any thing that was , Marine Proof, Salt Water Proof or Sailor Proof

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Sweet.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades