Good all around bush/camp/work knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Bandit99, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@HK_User
    Good price as I have seen them for $150.
    It is a very sweet edge. The roller locks are special, almost soundless pulling it and the knife stays in the sheath with no snaps. The grip is secure; hot or cold, wet or bloody hands.
    The steel is differential heat treated same as a kukuri. The edge is 57 HRc and rest to the spine 40/45 HRc Similar to a Ka-Bar except a bit harder or it sharpens fairly easily and holds a wicked edge.

Enjoy my friend as I certainly have.

A close internet friend, Petri is a Sissi Trooper, or Finnish Army Ranger wanted a set of Nomex flight gloves. I picked him up a set in Fayetteville at a surplus store. I received an issue sissipuukko in return mail.

There isn't a hilt. However, I prefer the forward grip (thumb on side) modified saber or the Filipino or thumb on spine. IMO, there is more control.

LOL.. In the Army, they say made by civilians. I added and screwed (not the s word :ROFLMAO:) up by GIs and the DI said I had a future in the Army.

HK_User likes this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Sorry, weather got good and the wife put my butt to work. Here's a decent video

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Cool! Thanks! Unfortunately, we got really good weather now which means I am also playing indenture servant outside. I will try it as soon as I can. Thanks!

4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

As i sit here contemplating the 6 yards of mulch and 8 tons of gravel just delivered here...all I can say is "I hear ya, brutha"

Bandit99 likes this.
  5. Bandit99

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO FEELS MY PAIN! LOL! :) I got a rainy day today which means an easy day. Hallelujah!

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No time off here, I have a couple of rooms full of my stuff that needs going through. Space is one thing I cannot acquire without a lot of personal work.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If i'm not using a particular knife , it's oiled and put away ,but a knife I'm using doesn't need much special attention .
    The few stainless knives I've got are not special in any way and mostly for throwing I don't care what happens to them.
    My hunting knife is a Western Bowie I blued and oiled the blade while not in use .
    I've given up my collection of valued knives, some are those I made and some are those my grand father made, to my son ,all I have left are the commercial and nothing special ,and the bowie .
    Some day I'll put a picture up .

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

This Survival Knife Below and Buck Knives are about equal, that comes from experience, not the adds of wantabees.

Tools and knives Knives Knives 25093
    MFH Jungle II super survival knife
    [​IMG]

A knife that would make Rambo jealous! That said, the actual usefulness this copy of a Spanish made knife is comparable to the monstrosity used by the aforementioned gentleman. But hey, this one comes with a lot of extra "survival" tidbits!

Along with the tasteless, unwieldy blade you get a smaller - arguably more useful - knife with such survival features as a bottle opener. See the pictures for what other trinkets you'll get: for instance there's a fishing hook, matches, a compass that might even work and some other crap, like a fire steel thingie but without the steel. Also a small signalling plate, which is sharper on the edges than either knife.

These slide inside a plastic sheath, with "Spanish fly" fastener. It's covered in paracord, because survival. Under the cord is hidden a sharpening stone, which you should put into use right away, as the blades are pretty dull straight from the factory. By the way, if you fancy eyepatches, the sheath can be used as a slingshot with the provided rubber thingies. Sort of.

Length for the whole knife is about 35,5 cm, blade length 20,5 cm. As the handle is hollow aluminium handle, the overall durability of the knife isn't too great if used for hack 'n slash. The blade itself is stainless steel, likely the cheapest available. If you want a real tool, check the Skrama bush knife out.

This is a knockoff of the Spanish Aitor Jungle King II survival knife. The real deal is just as dumb, but better made!

9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

The Swamp Rat RMD is tough to beat for most as a do all blade (top knife in the pic)...

[​IMG]

If I am to have only "One" knife it will be a version of the Busse ASH1..

[​IMG]

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I went snooping around the USRSOG website a few days back, and my opinions of most of the knives I've fiddled with jive pretty well with theirs. If you have not been over that way, I would recommend giving their open to the public info a read.

11. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

For a one knife does it all, you can't beat the CONDOR "Primitive Bush Knife" in either stainless or high carbon steel. I also am a big fan of ESEE KNIVES and wear an IZULA 24/7/365 as a neck knife. In addition to making rugged, quality knives they have one of the best warranties in the industry (to read it go to their web site).

Joe13 likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome aboard!!

13. Andy the Aussie

Yes ESEE do indeed make a great knife !! I have an Izula, Izula2 a 3 and a 6.

Joe13 likes this.
  14. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

Yes, their knives are great; especially when coupled with their no questions warranty. I own at least one of all their models(not in all colors) and two or three of some of them.

15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Thanks for the web address, Bandit! I've spotted what I need there! Good post!

16. Bandit99

I had pretty good luck with AZWELKE however I did send the sheath back as the darn thing was way too tight and I feared I would eventually cut myself trying to get the knife out. He adjusted it correctly. I got a Pancake Kydex sheath with a Tek-Lok and I changed the handles to Micarta. The Micarta handles improved the grips immensely and I am in love with the Tek-Lok system. I will probably get a Kydex holster for my Glock 19 that uses the Tek-Lok. But, first I need a new sheath for my big Becker Companion. I need to figure out exactly what I want for it first as it's a much larger knife.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  17. Andy the Aussie

Al Welke (AZWELKE), Dave Brown (Buy Brown) and Eric Lind (Mashed Cat) are the guys I use for Kydex, I have LOTS of Dave's work and he does holsters as well. All are great at what they do.

18. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

IMO there isn't a 1 knife does it all solution. The small ones are too small for big stuff and the big ones are too big for small work.

I carry a Rat3 and tops anaconda 9". Between the two they do everything I need. As well as an axe most of the time.

The above is what I wound up with out of chance. I would replace the RAT with an Esee, and there are a few new tops knives I've liked the look of.

19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm old school, I like a good Bowie for a fixed blade! I buy Knife blanks and make my own knife's. This is a hybrid Bowie/Fighting knife.
    [​IMG]

Sgt Nambu, Dont and Yard Dart like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Hanzo
  10. The_Prepared