Recipe Gooey Lemon Butter Cake

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Feb 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Okay, so this isn't my recipe. I shamelessly stole it. I do have a pretty good eye for a keeper recipe however, even before I have tried it. Additionally, I am going to give you a link to the site where the recipe came from. They have many more free recipes there. As usual with a recipe like this, I presented it to a priest who immediately smiled and blessed the recipe thus removing all calories and guilt. Enjoy.
    The source .... Recipes « Go Bold with Butter
    Gooey Lemon Butter Cake
    LemonButterCake1-325x325.

We tasted our first St. Louis style butter cake at the Flying Monkey Patisserie in the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. The crisp sugary top, rich cream cheese and butter filling, and chewy cakey bottom won us over, and we knew we needed to recreate it at home.
    Keys to a great butter cake include room temperature ingredients, an electric mixer, and the delicious richness that only real butter can provide. Although there are many varieties of butter cake, including vanilla and chocolate, we took advantage of seasonal lemons to cut the sweetness of this otherwise sinful and addictive dessert.
    Gooey Lemon Butter Cake
    By Lori & Paul
    Makes 10-12 servings
    Ingredients:
    Bottom layer:
    2 cups cake flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 large egg, at room temperature
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    2 tablespoons whole milk
    Top layer:
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    3 large eggs, at room temperature
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
    4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    Directions:
    Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    For the crust, sift together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and kosher salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, melted butter and milk. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. The batter should come together into a loose ball.
    With the spatula or your fingertips, pat the batter evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 pan. Set the pan aside.
    Using the same mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, and beat until smooth. Pour in vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice, stirring to combine. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Finally, slowly add the butter, mixing well to combine.
    Pour the batter on top of the bottom layer and spread it evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or just until set. Do not over-bake. The outer edges of the cake should be browned, but the center still juggles when you shake the pan.
    Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.
    LemonButterCake1-325x325.

Ganado, alaskachick and ditch witch like this.
  2. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Guess what the mail plane pilot is getting next week :)

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Methinks you sought the wrong cleric for absolution...a rabbi might have been a better choice...oy vey!

And with 1.5 cups of sugar for the base layer and a further 3.75 cups of icing sugar for the top layer this is definitely not a diabetic friendly cake...keep that insulin close and handy.

Ganado likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

You are absolutely correct. One could probably cut sugar in half on both and still have an excellent tasting dessert.

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

541735_494249093951094_1045232562_n.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Man...I can picture him in a fluoro orange jumpsuit in 30 years time!!! :eek:

Ganado likes this.
  7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have decided to hide this recipe here as a bonus for anyone trying the Gooey Lemon Butter Cake.
    Boozy Raspberry Poke Brownies
    Boozy Raspberry Poke Brownies recipe - from Tablespoon!

Betty Crocker Supreme Premium brownies are given a fruity, grown-up taste thanks to raspberry-flavored gelatin, vodka and two types of liqueur.
    Ingredients
    1 box ( 1 lb 2.4 oz) Betty Crocker Supreme Premium Brownie mix
    Water, vegetable oil and egg called for on brownie mix box
    1 cup boiling water
    1 box (4-serving size) raspberry-flavored gelatin
    1/2 cup citrus-flavored vodka
    1/4 cup orange flavored liqueur
    1/4 cup raspberry-flavored liqueur
    Directions
    • 1 Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Make and bake brownie mix as directed on box, using water, oil and egg. Cool 15 minutes.
    • 2 Meanwhile, in medium bowl, pour boiling water on gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add vodka and both liqueurs; stir until well blended. With fork, poke brownies every 1/2 inch. Pour gelatin over brownies.
    • 3 Refrigerate until completely cool, about 2 hours 30 minutes. Cut into 4 rows by 3 rows.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi