Got it!

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Bandit99, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Congratulations @Bandit99!! Way to go.

Salted Weapon and Bandit99 like this.
  2. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Congratulations! Welcome to the top of the hill club!

I suggest you look for a used 160 - 10 meter transceiver. You'll learn a lot, without a major investment, and the experience will help you to choose the best new radio when you're ready.

William Warren

ghrit and Bandit99 like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Congratulations @Bandit99 !! Definitely, a major accomplishment!

Bandit99 likes this.
  4. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

Congratulations, buy what you can not afford, the only way to be satisfied!

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

hehehe. "HAM" = have alotta money. Well, true in the long haul, but starting out is not a bank breaking exercise.
    Or alternatively something in the 40 to 6 meter range. Why, you ask? Because 80 and 160 meter (ignoring completely 600 and 2200) antennas get unwieldy. That said, just because the rig can do it doesn't mean you have to. Even 40 meter whiskers can be difficult, but far easier than longer wave whiskers.

WW's got a good idea, but going for used means finding someone that can point out potential problems with the selected rig. Elmer is at the local club, go, by all means, and get out your handy dandy brain pick. In fact, ol' Elmer is a priceless asset even before starting to study for the tests.

73s all around.

6. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

I'm starting my RSGB Foundation ticket (Radio Society of Great Britain) it's the equivalent of the ARRL here. There are 3 phases, you sit the Foundation which enables you to the bascic HAM stuff wattage is limited until you sit the second part, the Intermediate then the Advanced ticket. All exams are OFCOM reviewed. I understand that there's also an International ticket to be had too?
    Tommy

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Good plan... Let us know when your ticket arrives...

8. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

I've been advised by a long time HAM to get myself a Yaesu Dual bander as Yaesu have Fusion c-4 repeater.
    I've got the chance of a Yaesu FT-7800R Dual Band Amateur Transceiver with Separation Kit, for a couple of hundred. would this be a good buy?
    Tommy

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Any Brand Name DualBander at that price is going to be a Good Deal... I am a Kenwood Man and I have three compete TM-D710A Radio systems, and One complete TM-D710GA Radio running now, along with two Spare TM-D710-A T/R Units, that are operational, when used with the Existing Control Heads for the other Radios... They are the MainStay of my Vhf/Uhf Systems... I also have a pair of the Kenwood TH-72A DualBander Handhelds that have the same Programming and Channeling as the Mobiles and Base Radios... Makes life easy, when switch between Radios, depending what I am doing or where I am going....

10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The FT-7800 is not a Fusion-compatible radio...otherwise it is a decent radio.

What mode of repeaters are in your area? That would be a good place to start...analog FM, DMR, D-STAR, C4FM....?

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Tully Mars
  3. sdr
  4. Southbound
  5. SB21
  6. Bandit99
  7. sdr
  8. DKR
  9. BTPost
  10. DKR
  11. BenP
  12. Hanzo