Got my Online Shop Open!!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by AxesAreBetter, Dec 8, 2016.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Howdy y'all. After months of agonizing work, I am happy to announce that I now have a functioning online store! We are set up to retail Knives and Survival Gear, as well as reenactment equipment. We stock primarily Cold Steel, Mora, Steel Will, Tramontina, CRKT, and Kabar, but we are happy to place custom orders and branch out into anything you want.

The url is www.redwolfblog.com

Posting this here in Buy/Sell because I have bills to pay and little monkey's to feed. Any feedback is appreciated, and will only help get the site run more seamlessly.

2. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

Looks like you got some good deals on there. I'll save the link for a later date.

AxesAreBetter and Seepalaces like this.
  3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Congratulations. I wish you every success.

Tully Mars and AxesAreBetter like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Great Job! Looking forward to seeing more great things! Congrats.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Thanks y'all. Been a hard slog.

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Good start, AAB....perusing through, I did notice that many details were lacking. I trust this going to be fleshed out in time?
    Also, the site deemed to be rather slow to load...might be on my end, but just letting you know.
    I wish you the best of luck...nope...make that the best of success!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

you have some nice stuff.... a couple of suggestions... you need an index and to add google search, as a shopper, If I can't search I wont shop long. Scrolling and loading images just takes too long if you are on a fast comp and waaaay too long on a phone.

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I agree. And appreciate the feedback. Trying to get it all done while juggling events, red tape, and minimonkeys. But we will be continuing to improve and clarify as we go. Already had to rereig 3 things today. Haha.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Hey. Any thoughts on how to categorize things? Like, is Fixed Blades a solid category, or would Cold Steel Products be a better angle?

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

stick to basics, knives use everyday language for people who don't know that much about them... unless your target market is a very knowledgeable buyer. Then use tags for the things you use like 'fixed blade' 'cold steel' etc

bedding with tags for wool, blankets, etc whatever makes sense

11. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

The Cold Steel cutlass looks like the original machetes that were used in the southwest/Mexico 200-300 years ago. Mentioned all the time in diaries, reports, letters, etc., there are almost no descriptions of them! What few there are and what few remain (or "remains of") are exactly like that, D guard and all.

Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

So, been working on y'alls feedback...is it more important to have the search engine or better menu groups? I ask becasue the search feature is really slowing the loading times...

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My resources indicate that the primary shape of the machete was of the "latin" pattern we are more familiar with...however, there is a little known sword type, the Espada Ancha (translates as Wide Sword), that is what I believe you are speaking of. Not chiding you. I am a sword guy who does reenactments and martial arts in that time period, and I hadn't heard of an Espada Ancha until a few months back.

Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you believe wiki, there is evidence that cutlass and machete as names stem from a common linguistic root. Also it seems the shape has evolved from much earlier designs, at least back into the 1600s. For a machete as we commonly use the term, I prefer a broader, heavier blade, with weight forward. (Looks like this Robot Check but longer.) Definitely not a carry knife, but does fine in the (blankety-blank) bide-a-wee bushes we have in these hills.

Ura-Ki, chelloveck and AxesAreBetter like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is the classic "latin" pattern that I understand to be the original...my sources say that the originals were rarely shorter than 22" and commonly more like 26", with cavalry versions being seen in the New World Spanish military with 32"-36" blades!!!

Ura-Ki, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  16. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Yup, the Espada Ancha (if you were waiting for me to be able to spell that, well it probably wasn't going to happen!) Lots of written descriptions of their use and how much they liked them, they were mentioned a lot but almost no one thought to say exactly what they looked like, and what few remains of them that can be found, that is the exact design. It was quite popular for awhile and then the design died out and the designs we are more used to seeing became more popular.

Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Sweet! I only became aware of them when I bought a living history unit outfitting book, that went into some detail on them.

AS A SHOP UPDATE: Thank y'all for letting us know about the loading speed issue. With further research, our website builder has a slow loading speed...which means that we are going to be stuck with slow loading until I can get everything together to hop ship to another builder. Appreciate your patience, and your timely feedback. I know I am trying, but I cannot express it enough how much we appreciate it.
    Currently getting everything slotted into more streamlined categories, and we will be testing loading speeds to try and work in a search feature.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I prefer to be hit with a gladiolus than a gladius.........different things, but same word root....

@AxesAreBetter.......every success with your venture....

Whenever I think of combat cutlery, Some how, Lance Corporal Jones from Dad's Army comes to mind.....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My biggest issue with combat cutlery is...I like too much of it! You could make a bundle of all the blade I like, and I probably couldn't even lift it.

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey Axes, I collect Naval Arms and Cutlery from the 1800's up through the end of the Victorian era. I have found many strange influences that came from other countries as America had conflicts in those areas. From my understanding of them, the Espada type Cutlery was derived from the Brazilian areas, taken by the Spaniards during their rise of influence and likely modified over time through experience gained in use. Most Cutlasses were Hybrid designs from all over the "Naval Powers" of the world in those days. Many believe the U.S. Cutlasses were a combo of the Corsair's and Spaniard's and then modified for American fighting men first at sea, and later for land fighting. One of the most intriguing aspects was not only the shape, but that many of them were shortend by simple breaking off a section of the tip of the blade and grinding it to a clipped point. This made for a very deadly close in fighting type sword that was often also used for brush clearing by raiding parties, and officially, the Revenue Cutter Service men as they went ashore to inspect fishing camps and up north, sealing and whaling boats and camps! Not many drawings of a lot of these weapons exist, but the likely sources of them or the influencing factors can be found by tracing battles with different countries that had Navies, or at least a pretty good amount of Piracy! Then there are the Fighting Axes, My favorite hand to hand weapons, and very handy and useful tools. But that's another thread it's self!

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7