Got Old Pallets?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by tacmotusn, Mar 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

If you soak the wood well it cuts down on the splitting a great deal. If you are going to put them in ground contact you need to put some kind of preservative on. Burned motor oil works great and keeps fire ants off also. I add a bit now and then just to keep it fresh.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I just put a metal cutting blade on the sawzall and rip through the nails holding the slats on. That way nothing splits and I can dismantle the pallet in under a minute.

Just put a roof on a small hay shed built from 6 pallets and set on top of our storm shelter next to the rabbit room. It's ugly but just the right size to hold a year's worth of hay, straw, and bags of shavings. The Mr. is demanding I side it with some masonite so it's not quite so ugly. :D Think next I'm going to build a little leanto against the fence from them for our riding mower and tiller.

HK_User and chelloveck like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@ditch witch

Instead of Masonite, use the vertical surfaces as a trellis for growing vine crops like cucumbers, peas, beans, or passionfruit depending on climate.

Witch Doctor 01 and Sapper John like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Make all walls rodent proof. Split extra boards and cross hatch for the extrerior. Looks custom!

chelloveck likes this.
  5. chelloveck

Or staple chicken wire to exterior, cement render with a stucco, Spanish Mission look!
    :D

Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Not really an option given it's location on top of a wide expanse of concrete, plus I need the walls solid to keep the blowing snow and dirt off my hay.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. chelloveck

I don't go much for the colour scheme, but follow the link for the constructable instructable and see the step by step making of a nifty playhouse...or a house for munchkins.

F1VJKAFG2HE103J.MEDIUM.

994395f2723af7bb3f8569f962a38dcc.

Via: Pallet Playhouse

BTPost likes this.
  8. chelloveck

stg58 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  9. chelloveck

KAS and stg58 like this.
  10. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

ive heard of this {they call it the red neck thompsons water seal }
    I was wondering what do people with the pine board and batten siding on their houses use for a treatment

Also wood coming into and leaving the country has to be fairly descent wood but also maybe treated with chemicals

it has something to do with invasive species and bug coming to and leaving the country!!!
    Just a heads up

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  11. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I've never had any luck with a claw hammer, either, but a Sawzall seems to work pretty well. Never thought to try using a punch, though: thanks for the tip.

William Warren

Since they took Cuprinol off the market, I haven't found anything that works as well for preserving wood which is in ground contact. There's a recipe on the net for a preservative made using paraffin and some other ingredients: has anyone used that?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    HK_User likes this.
  12. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

We get 7'6" crates with our radios, make great storage, but the wood is all marked treated, do not burn. Apparently the stuff they treat it with to keep it from being infested is toxic. Typically we have to break them down and take them to the recycling place

13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Mike likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have thought about this pallet planting all night. I think if I sawed them in half and had two rows wide instead of four it could be used as a border. I almost think I could do peas in one row and lettuce in the other. I could do lattice up the backside.

HK_User, chelloveck and Mike like this.
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

One more input. 38 videos in one click.
    Pallets pallets and more uses for pallets

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  16. I just want everyone to keep in mind if your using pallets to make indoor furniture. Just make sure there safe and un-treated

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just brought some pallets home yesterday. I like these shorter pallets because they will make great shelving in the shed. I plan on getting another load today. 006.JPG

Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  18. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

Some pallets are treated with methyl bromide poison. Don't use or burn them. Safe pallets will have a HT for heat treated , MB on the poisonous ones.

Ganado, Dont, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
  19. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Great tip there @vegasrandall ..Have been building up a pile to lay out my fire wood on to keep it off the ground. Am going to move the stack on level with the cabin.. Tired of chasing a run away sled loaded with stove wood down the hill.. Seems that would be better than setting up arresting gear..

Ganado, kellory and chelloveck like this.
  20. Ollie Beef

Ollie Beef Foolish Mortal

I got a hold of several pallets this weekend and will be working on building a chicken coop out of them over the next two weeks to welcome home our new chickens.

I am basing the design off of
    Pallet Chicken Coop - Thehomesteadingboards.com
    (Since I am not old enough here yet to post links)

Yard Dart, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7