Got Some scrap metal pipe, plate and fixings and a welder? Make Yourself a Gassifier wood stove

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by chelloveck, Mar 14, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Safety note: The wood gassifiers featured in this post, produce toxic carbon monoxide gases and could be lethal if operated in enclosed spaces.

Mk I

Mk II

Possible improvements could be a copper water coil heat exchanger

Wood Gassification Explained:

possible improvements could include a copper water coil heat exchanger to produce hot water for domestic bathroom / kitchen / laundry use.

This setup is strictly for outdoor use..

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

A set of coils would be really easy to fab up. Or a water box that attached to the side of the gassifier with a a spigot at the bottom if this was ment to be a portable setup. I made made a water box for the camp stove we used on elk hunts.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

A Home-Built Biomass Gasifier for Producing Wood Gas

So I've started my research, and while there are a lot of dead end links and ads to buy ready made units and kits, not a lot of useful stuff so far. The above link I found informative. While the construction methods are rather crude, the idea works and could be greatly improved with proper fabrication skills. The biggest issue I've noticed so far is that a unit big enough to power a truck takes up a fair bit of space. I do rather like the idea of getting a truck to run on this though. My main goal is to see if powering a genset large enough for a house is worthwhile.
    Interesting stuff.

SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

To test the concept, this is the easiest one I've found. This is my car cooker for firewood restricted National Forest campgrounds.

Start playing with this stuff and pretty soon you'll be over at Permies playing with sideways fire.

chelloveck, Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

MK1 and 2 remind me of a fence-post banger thingy?

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7