Got tools?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

One thing that I would not want to be with out is a good come-along. I have one that is good to 4,000lbs. It has been used for everything from hanging animals up to butcher to moving our sawmill into place. Our daughter learned how good it is to have a good come-along. We were loading a long into the back of our truck that I could not lift and I told here that she was going to load it. She said that there was no way she could do it. I put the come-along on it and she loaded the log. The log weighed at least 4-5 times what she does, and she was able to load it. Likely that physics leason will not be forgotten anytime soon.

A crosscut saw is good to have as others have said, but don't forget about a good bucksaw as well it works great on smaller firewood.

OGM

chelloveck likes this.
  2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Reminder-buy some better quality axes and hand saws.

3. Re: post 5. That company is The Crosscut Saw company, they still advertise in Firearms News (nee Shotgun News).

chelloveck likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Knowing how to use the tools you have, and working them, can teach you a great deal about what you actually need.
    Even if you lack the machine skills to do a proper repair is beneficial to learn how to take things apart and re assemble them correctly.
    As a kid I started with lawn mower engines we used on our go carts and minibikes.
    There are plenty of how to you tube teachers out there but if things fall apart before you do any thing getting help will be difficult.
    In the old days knowledge would cost you, and if things go south again you can be sure ignorance will cost you.

ColtCarbine and chelloveck like this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

All of my tools are hand tools or have cords.....OK!.. I do have a battery powered drill/screwdriver! That way I don't have to run the generator or deplete the solar power battery bank in order to charge batteries for the tools. I'm also a "collector" of files (all types), saw blades (all types) and drill bits (all types). One should also have PVC pipe, lumber, plywood, nails, shingles, glass/plexiglass, etc.. I have one and two man crosscut saws (with tools, files and manual), I have a bow-saw (with extra blades), axes, hatchets, mauls, wedges, wood splitter (manual), and a chainsaw (with extras of everything). I have found some beautiful old hand tools on Esty and Ebay. Remember, that in ALL things, Two is One and One is None!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7