Gougers hit the N99 Mask Market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Something to mention about the above masks for all you Grizzly Adams types. You will not get a good seal with a beard. Facial hair if not completely shaved needs to be kept really short. Adding a thin layer of vaseline along the sealing area will help to get a positive seal with a short cropped beard.

Motomom34, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

By the time people living in hot zones start using the masks .. they have probably been exposed.
    I'd think it would be more effective if you were forced to travel through or to the hotzone that your odds of donning the mask would be in your favor.

Tully Mars, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  4. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Exactly! Most people think surgical type masks will protect them when it's just the opposite, it protects others from you.
    Years ago when people were in a panic about weaponized anthrax powder, the surplus store I worked at sold out of all the Warsaw Pact surplus gas masks even though I told them that the mask only works if you are wearing it before you are exposed and if the filter was serviceable.

Oddcaliber, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just got back from my local "Tactical/Medical" Supply outlet and scored several good NBC grade full face masks and spare filters!
    Nice thing about that shop, it's mostly for LEO/EMT's and Mil folks, not a lot of "Street" folks, so their prices are still reasonable!

Stocked up on supplies for my M-5 Medical pack while there, needed to re fresh my stocks and rotate older/expired to my back up kit! Also added several quarts of distilled water pouches while the getting was still good!

6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@Ura-Ki (y) (y)

do they gots a website?

HK_User likes this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

All things being considered in our life right now.
    We will lock the gate and go hermit.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We will keep strangers and the Mailplane Pilot at arms length, and wash and disinfect
    our hands thoroughly before and after sorting the mail....

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

They do, but it doesn't include the in store stock or deals the owners always bring in!
    Greystone Tactical-US-OR

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

My mask is a scott (now owned by 3M). It is a mask for an SCBA that I got from work for being on the fire brigade at the plant. I’ve work the 3m full face before with the .mil in empty, cleaned out fuel tanks and stuff. I recommend 3M stuff. MSA stuff is also good.

Northernsafety.com

Regular people seem to be cleaning them out of disposable masks but they stuff had decent full face respirators at good prices last I checked. cartridge filters too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2020
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oddcaliber and sec_monkey like this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

During the 1918 Flu Pandemic some towns tried to establish quarantines, but they all failed because they all made exceptions for the US Mail.

13. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

the MSA Millennium is arguably one of the best masks on that site, they are "like new" at $129.99 or $116.99 each.

retail is $449.99 to $540 [ YMMV ] or so per mask

ya may have to buy several parts kits to repair/refurbish them properly

again YMMV

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Also make certain there is no cracking or other deterioration...to include the exhalation disk.

15. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I remember Kurt Saxon writing about becoming a "Disaster Profiteer", and those who are ready will sell to those who aren't - at a profit of course!

HK_User, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. HK_User

Fact.

17. HK_User

Feed back is not good.

Gator 45/70, oldawg and sec_monkey like this.
  18. BTPost

It is like selling Generators before Y2K, and then buying them back, six months later for pennies on the Dollar.... Same things happens every time a Hurricane is headed at the USA... or a Snow & Ice Storm is forecast and people clear the shelves of Big Box Stores of Generators, and then the next summer there are a ton of barely used gensets on CraigList for sale cheap...

19. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Yup, currently on the search for uber quiet 10kw unit for a friend.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. BTPost

Find a nice Onan J Series liquid Cooled and install a Hospital Grade Exhaust system... Or look around for a 900 RPM Lister, and us a belt & Pully tospeed up the Rpms to 1200 for the Genend...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7