Recipe Gound Venison Jerky ... multiple recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Nov 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ground Venison
    Jerky Recipes

Make good use of every bit of your deer with these ground venison jerky recipes. The ground jerky can be seasoned hot and spicy, mild, sweet...the sky's the limit when it comes to flavoring this fun snack.

Making Ground Meat Jerky...The Basic Method
    Spread five pounds of ground venison out in a large, flat pan. Sprinkle two tablespoons of canning salt and one and one-half teaspoons of Tender Quick® curing mix evenly over the surface of the meat. Mix thoroughly, flatten into the pan, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge.

Mix the ground jerky meat thoroughly twice a day for two more days. This distributes the salt and cure mix, and allows time for the meat to become properly cured.

When the ground venison is mixed for the last time, add the remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Form and dehydrate. To form the ground jerky, you can use a jerky shooter, a rolling pin, or your good old hands. A food dehydrator is perfect for drying the jerky, but the oven can do a fine job as well.

Store the finished jerky in a sealed plastic bag or a tightly sealed jar. I keep mine in the refrigerator to help it stay fresh longer.

For a complete tutorial of how to make jerky out of ground deer meat, visit How To Make Ground Venison Jerky. This jerky making tutorial covers everything from grinding the meat to dehydrating the jerky, and storage of the finished product.
    Spicy Sweet Ground Venison Jerky
    This recipe includes corn syrup along with a few select spicy seasonings, which makes for an interesting flavor combination. The ingredients for this recipe are:
    5 pounds lean, ground venison
    2 tablespoons canning salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons Tender Quick® Curing Mix
    1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper

Fireman Jerky
    Or maybe this one should be named "Call a Fireman" Jerky. Follow the recipe exactly, or cut back on the hot stuff a little if you want a tamer tasting jerky.
    For this one, you'll need:
    5 pounds ground venison
    1 1/2 teaspoons Tender Quick® Curing Mix
    4 tablespoons granulated cane sugar
    3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

I Love Garlic Jerky
    Fresh chopped garlic adds a real garlic flavor to this ground venison jerky recipe. Chop the garlic very fine. Mix it in when you add the salt and Tender Quick®, so that good garlic flavor will absorb into the meat. Here's what you'll need:
    5 pounds of ground venison
    2 tablespoons of canning salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons Tender Quick®
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon black pepper

More Recipes
    If your tastebuds aren't into hot, spicy, or garlicky, visit one of the following ground venison jerky recipes pages for something a little different!

Hawaiian Style Jerky

This ground deer jerky recipe is flavored with pineapple and teriyaki sauce. It may not be traditional Hawaiian luau grub, but it's good.
    5 pounds ground venison
    5 teaspoons canning salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons Tender Quick® curing mix
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
    1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium white onion, minced
    1 tablespoon black pepper

Smoky Flavored Deer Jerky
    This is an easy recipe that gets its smoke flavor from the addition of liquid smoke. A few simple ingredients is all it takes to make this ground deer jerky recipe.
    5 pounds ground deer meat
    4 teaspoons canning salt
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke
    1 tablespoon white pepper

Barbecued Deer Jerky

You thought the last one was simple...try this one!
    5 pounds deerburger
    5 teaspoons salt
    2 1/2 cups KC Masterpiece® Barbecue sauce
    Mix the salt and Tender Quick® into the meat, as usual. When mixing for the last time, add two cups of the barbecue sauce. Baste the jerky with the last half cup of sauce. Give the deer jerky a light coat of KC Masterpiece® when it's almost done. Let the sauce dry onto the surface of the jerky before removing. MMmmm!

Buffalo Jerky
    No, not bison buffalo, but Buffalo, New York, as in Buffalo wings...hot wings if you prefer. Franks® RedHot Louisiana Hot Sauce® is the secret ingredient of Buffalo wings, and it's the secret ingredient of this recipe for Buffalo jerky.
    5 pounds deer meat, ground
    1 1/2 cups Franks® RedHot Louisiana Hot Sauce®
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Follow the method described up above, in the "How to Make Ground Venison Jerky" section. Mix in the hot sauce, sugar and cayenne pepper before forming and drying. This one can be served with sour cream and celery sticks if you want to get fancy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good recipes, i've got some ground venison marinating now and will be made into jerky tonight.

Wonder why most of the recipes call for sugar or corn syrup? I've never added sweetener to my jerky and don't really see the need to add the sugar to my diet.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

One bottle soy sauce, one bottle A1, one small bottle liquid smoke. Mix together and use as marinade in the fridge at least over night (longer is stronger)
    We use 1/4" slices of venison.
    Blot on paper towel before racking in dehydrator.
    Dry until desired moisture content. My wife likes it chewy, I prefer it dry as dust, so gather your crop when ready.
    Gallon sized zip lock baggies do nicely and it has never stayed around long enough to even thing about going bad.
    Worse part of making jerky, is not eating it all as soon as it is made. restraint must be followed, or you will have nothing to show for your work.;)

Sapper John, Mountainman and kckndrgn like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My Big Chief Smoker / Dehydrator does not come with trays or sheets that are compatible with ground meat from a jerky gun, but wire racks instead. I prefer jerky made from ground meat over sliced meat for a number of reasons (this is a personal choice). Today was the first time I had unpacked and assembled my Smoker / Dehydrator bought new thru Amazon probably over a year ago. I ordered a 15" jerky gun first thing this morning. The wire racks were obviously going to be a problem, so I started looking for acceptable trays or sheets that would get the job done. Big Chief trays were rejected right away due to heat damage reports when used on 2 lower rack locations. Excalibur dehydrators have silicone non-stick sheets but would not fit my Smoker. It took hours but I found ideal sized sheets that were made by the same folks who make the Excaliber sheets for an acceptable price (I am a skinflint. I want the best deal I can find for a quality product). Okay I got a smoker, a jerky gun coming, ground jerky sheets coming, recipes, and deer meat, and more deer on hoof. Ready to go as soon as Friday morning. Oops .... where can I quickly find Tender Quick cure, and Canning Salt. Back to Amazon WTH. .... in for a penny in for a pound. Everything is supposed to come in on Thursday. Here is what I bought; Amazon.com: Sportsman MJG15 15-Inch Jerky Gun: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Set of 4 Premium Silicone Non-Stick Baking Mats from Healthy Chef Tools: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com : Morton Tender Quick Meat Cure, 2 lbs : Mixed Spices And Seasonings : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon.com: Pickling And Canning Salt By Precision Foods Inc 48oz, (3lbs) 132g: Canning Kits: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If your order is late, would just covering the wire with foil, solve your problem?

1. toolbelt99
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  4. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  5. Hillbilly549
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Ganado