Government Advises 'Shelter In Place' Plan For Terror Attack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Feb 8, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Those of us old enough to remember the bomb fears and shelter craze of the 50s and 60s will remember all of these things, in a setting with lots less sophisticated equipment. The elements remain the same. It's what everyone should have already done, just simply for natural disasters like hurricanes and flooding. So what's new? Terrorism is another excuse to tout what should be common sense anyway.

I guess one thing us monkey have to decide is when to stay and when to go. But be prepared for either.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I still have a tendency to dive under my desk and crisscross my arms over my head whenever a fire siren goes off [ROFL] Shoot, if that could protect me from a nuclear bomb, it must be a good tactic for just about anything.

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Funny thing about that... Earthquake rescue teams have found alot of people and children flattened under desks.... current wisdom is not under but next to.... like sturdy desks, car wheels etc....

"I guess one thing us monkey have to decide is when to stay and when to go. But be prepared for either."

Totally agree with this one.... the first thing to decide is whether to "Stay or Go".... and be prepared for both.... simple decisions broken up into one or the other.... keeps the mind clear and uncluttered in a crisis.... its all dichotomies.... stay go, walk or drive, night day, hide or in the open, stay silent call out..... pretty simple.... yin and yang..... IMHO...

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That my friend is the million dollar question.

6. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It was the "Godless Communists" in my parochial school...and we weren't allowed under our desks...

We were supposed to go out quietly, on our knees...praying for our murderers salvation and understanding of God's love....

as they shot us all...

Nice childhood, huh? :rolleyes: ;)

7. ghrit

'Sfunny, I have several friends that were brought up with the idea that being a sheep was good. Most of them woke up later, but there are two that remain adamant that prayer will bail them out. I have argued 'till I'm blue in the face that you get no help until you show gumption. Falls on deaf ears with those two.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

"God helps those who help themselves."

9. ghrit

[ditto] ----- that you get no help until you show gumption.

b:: b:: b::

10. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was just reminded of when we lived in Satellite Beach , when I was a kid..and my dad was woking at the Cape....during the Cuban Missile Crisis...

Everyone sent their wives and children "home" to their parents....Everyone wondered why dad didn't send us.....His response? "She's from Charleston, SC....They're gonna blow before we do"...

There were bomb sheltres for sale in shpping center parking lots....and we "camped" in the hallway for days....used a coleman stove...slept in sleeping bags.....It was a great adventure back then, as a kid....but I'm sure our parents were worried sick....

I had forgotten about that.... :rolleyes:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7