GRAIN-FREE COCONUT FLOUR TORTILLAS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

RAIN-FREE COCONUT FLOUR TORTILLAS
    IMG_6409-640x3921.

*Update: I used to use a non-stick pan or a non-stick griddle for these. It is definitely the easiest way to make them, but in an effort to reduce the use of toxic metals that leach into the food while cooking, we have ditched all teflon in our house. I found this awesome blue steel crepe pan on Amazon for $15 that works perfectly for these. Cast iron and stainless steel will stick fyi!

These coconut flour tortillas are so versatile and simple to make. I most often use them in myenchilada recipe and lasagna recipe, but they also double as crepes for breakfast or dessert. If you use them as crepes, try adding 2 teaspoons of honey to the batter to sweeten them up a bit. I like to fill them with peanut butter and sliced bananas, but any fruit would taste great. Top them off with a little SCD whipped cream.

* For SCD, sub 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice for the baking powder

Grain-free Coconut Flour Tortillas

IMG_6407-1024x6821.
    Print

Author: Danielle Walker- Against All Grain

Ingredients
    • Ingredients (makes 8-10)
    • ½ cup coconut flour
    • ½ teaspoon grain free baking powder
    • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    • 1½ cup egg whites (or 16 egg whites)*
    • ¾ cup almond milk
    • *you can buy the free-range organic egg whites in the carton if you’d like, or use your left over egg yolks for ice creams and custard pies!

Instructions
    1. Directions
    2. Mix all of the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes so the coconut flour can soak up some of the moisture, and then whisk again. The batter should be runnier than that of pancakes, about the same as a crepe batter.
    3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and spray with oil or melt enough butter to coat the bottom and sides of pan. Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the pan, swirling the pan while you pour to ensure the bottom is coated and the tortilla is thin.

IMG_6380-1024x682.

Once the bottom looks set (about 1 minute), carefully release the sides of the tortilla with a rubber spatula and turn over.

Alternatively, you could use a frittata pan, or turn the tortilla into another hot and greased pan or greased griddle.

This may help the tortilla to stay in one piece. If your first couple break, don’t fret and don’t throw them away. Add a little more coconut flour and try again, but keep the broken ones to use as filling if you’re making enchiladas.

IMG_6389-1024x682.

Spray the pan again, and repeat above steps until all the batter is used. Layer the tortillas on a plate and set aside until you’re read to fill them and bake.

IMG_6407-1024x6821.

A Note About Coconut Flour

Coconut flour is made by drying and finely grinding the meat of a coconut. It is packed with dietary fiber and protein. It is naturally gluten free, so it doesn’t trigger an inflammatory response in the body. The high fiber content also keeps your body from absorbing sugars into the blood stream. It is a great alternative to those who have nut or wheat allergies, but can be somewhat tricky to bake with.

I learned the hard way that you cannot substitute it for another flour 100% unless you add additional liquid. Eggs are usually best because Coconut flour has no gluten and the eggs take the place of gluten. Some sites suggest that you add 1 egg for every ounce of coconut flour, but then you’re dealing with high fat and calorie content, so I usually add extra egg whites instead and occasional apple sauce or juice if I’m using it in sweeter baked goods. It’s really about trial and error, and takes some patience while learning to use it. I like to use Let’s Do Organic brand, which you can buy on Amazon.

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I had wondered why coconut flour recipes required so many eggs...we don't have that many eggs to use right now, will have to wait til summer when our girls put out more.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

curios about the CI sticking. I will have to try this (yes, a glutton for punishment) in a couple of CI that I make omelets in. So smooth the omelets slide right out and when frying an egg are so slick it's hard to get a spatula under them.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Toast the coconut flour and substitute for ordinary flour to make gravy. Mmmmm.

Currently playing around to see if I can make a nice potato flour/coconut flour bread.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Potato Bread was a staple at my house when I was growing up.........

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, so I made some of these this morning. Taste was pretty good, though the coconut flour tends to be a bit coarser than wheat flour.

My thoughts, the recipe needs some tweaking. I made a 1/2 batch, since only wanted a couple to try out.
    I don't have "egg whites" so I separated my eggs. I had a cup of egg whites after 4 eggs, but a full recipe they called for 16 eggs. And the cup of whites was more than I needed from the directions.
    I also substitued coconut milk for almond milk, so I sure that changes the dynamics quite a bit.
    I was able to make these in my CI, with minimal sticking issues, especially after my last recipe change, I'll get to that in a min.

After letting the batter "rest" for 10 min. I noticed it had thickened up quite a bit and i know it needs to be thin so I added more CM (coconut milk).

1st pour. 1/4 cup and it made a great pancake. I could not get the batter to run out and make a thin tortilla.
    I kept adding CM and pouring another tortilla (1/4 cup at a time). After 2 more the batter was about the right thickness but now the tortillas just crumbled when trying to flip (not a sticking issue, just to thin to be "held" together).
    on a whim, I added about 1 to 2 of the egg yolks to the remaining batter.
    Success! well, marginally. Still too thick for a good roll-up tortilla, but it worked GREAT for adding a mix of scrambled egg and sausage.

the first image (sorry it's blurry, didn't realize it until I was posting) shows my first and second to last "tortillas" Coconut_flour_tort. The first one is on the right.

Here is the last one I made Coconut_flour_tort_final.

I might try these on the non-stick griddle, might be easier, but I do love cooking with my CI.

Here is another recipe from the same site:
    Ingredients
    Crepes…or tortillas…or lasagna noodles (grain-free, paleo)
    • Ingredients (yields 10 crepes)
    • 6 large eggs
    • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    • 3 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
    • 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
    • 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
    • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    • Coconut oil or butter for pan
    again I would prolly sub the CM for AM, but I have everything except the arrowroot powder.

7. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Thank you :) I will have to try this. I can't have milk products either.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7