Gramma protecting her young, what gun to get?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CANDY fISHER, Jan 19, 2011.

1. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Hi, I need some advice and think you all can help, I really need it. Im a grand mother with 3 kids ( raising grand kids and 16 year old) I have never owned a gun, did fire them when I was younger and loved the 22 I used but.... I have no idea how to go about getting a gun, and what the cost is. we will be bugging in, no money to leave and no family who live out side of town. we do live in a 30,000 count community and on the out skirst so not in the heart of town, but no quit out of town. Im thinking hand guin, but from where and for how much and is it legal in my state to own one? Montana
    I know I need something to protect us, I also do not want something to big for me to handle. any and all suggestions will help thanks :)

2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

My wife who is also a Gramma recommends a .38 Special revolver, cost is most likely between $200 and $400 depending if you can find a good used one or if you buy a new one. Check for sporting goods/gun stores in your phone book.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The MOST important thing about a personal Handgun IS: Does it FIT your Hand? Does it naturally feel like it BELONGS there? It NEEDS to feel comfortable in your GRIP. Once that criteria is met, THEN and only THEN, do you look at things like Calibre, Cartridge, recoil, and other issues. You really need to take your time in this selection process, as this is a MAJOR investment. I wish there were a Competent Monkey near you, that could lead you thru the process and go with you to the Supplier, to handle everything in stock, to find what fits your hand. Maybe one will see this and offer... That would be a real class deal. Once your purchase is made, then you really need to spend some time at the local Range, and run thru a couple of boxes of ammunition, so that you begin to get used to the recoil, and see how well and at what distances, you can hit what you aim at. This takes time, AND PRACTICE. Do you know any of the local LEOs? You could go ask, down at the local Cop Shop, to speak to the FireArms Instructor for that department. He might just be able to help you in both areas. If you were in my neighborhood, I would help you and get you up to speed, myself.... Good Luck, and keeps us up to date on your progress....

4. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

thank you so much, you sound like a real nice person ! Im alone unfortunately but am a tough old bird. Im going to go to the local gun shops and start looking around, then when I do get a gun I will go to the target range ( if we have one here local) Its important for me to get one and to get the right one. :) is it the law to register guns? I would hate for the local cops to confiscate ( heard this may be possible down the line ???

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am not familiar with Montana's State Statutes, but you will need to fill out a ATF 4473 Form, that STAYS at the Store, and comply with the NICS Checking System that is run by the FBI, as far as the Federal Statutes go. This should just takes at most an Hour. When you actually purchase, you will need to show Residency, in your State, for the previous 90 Days, in order to purchase, and Picture ID. I will do some research in the morning, and read up on Montana's Laws on HandGuns, and get back to you tomorrow. Like I said, take your time, and do NOT let some slick Sales Droid, talk you into anything. This is a very PERSONAL item, and it needs to be right, the FIRST TIME. It is like buying a Bra, It really needs to FIT. That is what Momma says, and she has been shooting for many decades. Hopefully there will be a Nice Monkey, in your area, that will step up and help. The Sales Droid will know where the local Range is, if he/she doesn't, you do NOT want to be talking to him/her, and ask for the OWNER.

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Go with a 20 gauge youth model shotgun with buckshot loads over a handgun unless you have someone there that can help you learn how to shoot it.

7. candy - one option is for you to look up your local Appleseed Project folks - they are EXTREMELY nice to new shooters, and ladies shoot free. They hold regular weekend - long seminars on history and marksmanship, and you can meet lots of shooters there. Just a thought, but this is the advice I would give to MY Grandma if she were out of my state and posing the same question. Good luck!

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

while a shotgun is a great weapon i would consider the .38 revolver instead for one reason...you can dial a phone with a revolver in one hand and the phone in the other... a shotgun takes two hands... just a thought...

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Without any training, most people new to handguns are just firing warning shots into the ground, unless they get lucky, and might even take out someone in their family. We don't dial nine hundred eleven where I live unless we need fire or medical.

10. Old Goat

Old Goat Monkey+

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Something smells fishy; guns legal in Montana? Give me a break.

12. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

The first thing I would do is find a friend that has a few guns and will let you shoot them to see what you like.

My wife and I are retired LEO's. Early in our marriage I would bring a gun home to her "knowing" she would like it. WRONG!!! I finally learned to take her with me and let her pick the gun.

For years my pick for average home owner, (non-gun person), was a stainless 3 or 4 inch 6 shot 38/357 revolver. It's still not a bad choice.

However when my neighbor became a widow, she ask me to teach her how to shoot. I let her shoot both my 3 and 4 inch GP 100's. With 38 spl light loads, I couldn't get her on the paper. On a lark I had her shoot my Glock 19. Quickly she was cutting the X out of the target. A month later she had her own G19 and has never looked back.

The moral of this is theory doesn't replace reality. You have to get some guns in your hands and shoot them to see what YOU like, and DO THE BEST WITH. You have to know what your budget is. You have to take lessons to be proficient, etc.

13. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

You can also go to your local gun range and rent a gun to try, before you buy one. This will give you the actual feel for it. Rossi makes a reasonable 38/357 magnum handgun that takes either shell. We are here to help, keep us informed.

14. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I have always recomended a shotgun, pump prefered. Just the sound of the slide racking back will stop many from entering your abode. Some people will argue that the recoil is too severe, depends on the shotgun. Lead in the stock will reduce this. Inside use a bird shot, 6 to 8 shot will not penetrate the wall board but WILL clear the hallway. Short barreled, over the legal limit of 18". More recoil but better spread. Depending on the under 16's age and size they may be able to use it effectively.

TRAIN THEM ALL IN FIREARMS SAFETY!!!!

If you take the mystery out of firearms the kids will be safe with them.
    Once you are confident in the use of your selected 'weapon' teach the kids.
    Shot guns are fairly inexpensive, many choices of projectile and dependable. Please, Please, Please, teach the kids safety.

15. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im going to go down and try our a few at the local gun shop. Im also going to ask my daughters friend who had many guns and see what he has for me to shoot with. The only gun I ever fired was a 22 and it felt good, but heck I know nothing about guns. I did well and was shocked when I hit the targets almost every time. But that was 25 years ago and today I have arthritis in my hands and my shoulders would never take a back fire. ( or do you call it a kick back? )
    Sad to say Its just me and the kids, my parents are in there 80's and really will not listen to me about any of this. I can not go to there home as its to small for me and the grand kids and they have so many cats! my grand kids and I are so allergic ! they have a wood stove they use, I have nothing! we have to depend on gas heat and electricity. Its a duel problem, I can not stay there and they could never come to my home to stay. The winters are brutal here, and Im still trying to grasp heat for us all. Im thinking the buddy heater, and for back up a kerosene heater to.
    I have brothers, but they think Im a loon for even thinking the way i do about preparing. and they are real creeps about helping with anything. though they hunt and fish god forbid they even think of teaching me. UGH it sucks at times being a single gramma raising an 8 year old, a 10 year old and a 16 year old girl.not because there a burdon, but because I see whats ahead and its scary !

16. KYNabob

KYNabob Monkey+

As a grandfather that was a single parent and refuses to raise another family I can only recommend that you sell the kids, buy an RV and head south!

seesaw

17. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

As far as reducing costs, especially in a state like Montana, check Pawn shops and consignment counters at gun shops. There are some really sweet deals to be had! YMMV. Good luck and God bless!

18. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have held my tongue for awhile to let others have their say. Life NRA member, 22 Year Military retiree, Military certified Small Arms instructor, at last command had to sustain 350 to 450 person active qualifications on 3 weapons; colt .45acp pistol, 12 gauge riot pump shotgun, and M-14 rifle. This was on a mixed gender crew ship. Many of whom had never held or shot a weapon, ever. I had to qualify them at various ranges and also taught and qualified personel for their service marksmanship medal or ribbons. That said I will cut to the chase.
    I would recommend you start with a Remington 870 express youth model in 20 gauge. You can buy one for $200 to $300. It will serve you well for home defense, has other meat gathering uses, and is an awesome deterent to face at close range. Easy to learn and use for you or the 16 year old.
    Maybe that is a little out of your price range.
    My second choice would be a good semi auto .22 caliber rifle with open sights. I recommend the Ruger 10-22. These are available for right at $200 new. Other brands and models will serve, but this model is the Standard that many many people own. Again you or the 16 year old can quickly learn to shoot this accurately and with plenty of confidence that you could use it in self defense and make it count.
    Last but not least, I would caution you to hold off on the pistol purchase at this time. There are several reasons for this. It will be the hardest of the three weapons to grow into (be competent and comfortable with). Practice and the expenditure of a lot of expensive ammo is a neccessary evil to gain confidence with a pistol. Also a quality self defense handgun is going to cost you as much just for the weapon as the Shotgun listed above, and can easily go double that price.
    If I can't talk you out of the pistol as your first choice, then I will give this advice; as others said, go to a gunshop and handle several to find one that feels good in your hand. Don't buy an underpowered tiny handgun. This is serious. Almost all self defense shootings take place at under 30 feet. Often much less. A .380acp, or .38 special, or 9mm is the smallest I would recommend. If you decide to get a pistol as your first and only firearm, read the following carefully.
    Away from the house, and armed, be aware of your surroundings at all times! Don't make yourself a target by wandering alone like a sheep ripe for slaughter by the wolves out there. Anyone under 30 feet should have your full attention and you should be prepared to flee, or take cover, or draw and fire your pistol if necessary. At under 20 feet, there is the very real possibility you will never have a chance to draw your weapon and fire before a committed attacker is on you, hands on your throat, or knife in your guts. At under 10 feet, any attacker your size or larger who is not impaired with drugs or alcohol, who has decided to target you, will probably kill you. Are you sufficiently motivated to understand and be asking yourself, "what can I do then to protect me and mine?"
    Be aware and focused on possible threats at all times.
    If and when you have to draw and fire your pistol, concentrate on these thoughts.
    Distance is under 30 feet, the threat is real! (eyes locked on, weapon visible, subject has been warned, verbal threat from opponent, distance shrinking, your weapon is now exposed and coming to bear on target) at 20 feet with the above.....
    The most important thing to remember at this point to ensure the greatest percentage of this coming out with you the winner and still alive is precision shooting and marksmanship priciples don't mean squat at this distance. A solid upper body center of mass hit is what matters now to neutralize the threat. Two hands if possible to give you the most stable platform for your first thru last shot. Center of mass is most easily described as the torso, minus arms, legs, and head. This is a rectangle about 32 inches high and 16 inches wide. I am not asking you to be able to slowly and carefully hit a beer can at 30 feet or less. THIS IS A BIG TARGET. Concentrate on the front sight of your pistol. In your mind draw an imaginary X on the center of mass, one line from the tip of the shoulder down to the opposite side hip, and the same thing from the other side. CONCENTRATE ON THAT FRONT SIGHT !!! Top of front sight as close to the center of your mental X and squeeze the trigger, align and repeat, and repeat until your opponent goes down. At that distance the alignment of the rear sight in conjunction with the front sight is of little concern. If you are holding the firearm as you normally do, and it is comfortable to you, you will be close enough. Now do this. Keep the downed individual in sight but move away and take cover, but keep your eyes on the target as much as you can. Call 911, tell them there has been a shooting and a person is down. Medical condition unknown, and an ambulance is needed ASAP. Give your location and name. Eyes on the target. Hang up, and call a very close friend or lawyer, and tell them you may be arrested (very probable) keep it short and don't admit anything. Tell them where it happenned so they can get you a lawyer and or out of jail. Holster or bag your weapon, reload if necessary first. Leave your brass where it fell. Eyes on target. Await police. When the police arrive, you should say no more than the following. I was attacked! I had no choice but to shoot to protect my life! I have nothing else to say, and I want an attorney! SHUT UP !!!
    Pray this never happens, but, if you are going to carry for self protection, you must be prepared for this eventuality. It may happen.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Candy, I get the feeling that your wakeup call has you in panic mode, and you are rushing around trying to fill perceived voids. Playing rapid catchup is a tough way to go; things get overlooked if you get in a hurry. This site has a wealth (many lifetimes) of info that you can use, tho' it may be difficult to dig it all out. Use the search feature, and you'll find a lot of your questions are already answered. Let patience rule, this whole business of prepping is based entirely on planning. While time may or may not be short, you will be ahead with a stepwise approach to getting where you think you need to be.

Think in terms of threes. Use one, buy three until you are stocked for the scenario you are prepping for. What do you need for 3 Days? 3 weeks? 3 months? You'll see the scale of preps you need when you start setting up scenarios. (Fire, earthquake, power outage, whatever, and don't forget the house on fire.) What can you do without during each of the "3" bites, and what will be needed in the next 3? For some of us, three days won't be more than a mosquito bite even if the house burns down, but it wasn't always that way. When I started, three days without a run to the grocery would have had me pretty damn hungry.

Enlist family and friends that might be preppers, if you can find them out. OPSEC (operational security) will keep most of them off your radar, they don't want to broadcast their plans and stores, just in case things go south. But most, once found, will be willing to help you plan, even if not reveal their own fixin's. (Just don't ask what they have done, just ask what they recommend, capische?)

Planning is the biggest thing you need to do. Lists, lists, and more lists, or something will get missed. 50 lbs of rice will do no good if you can't boil water ----.

20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This thread is hilarious.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7