Gramps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

My mom did something pretty cool. She put some old recordings of my Gramps playing the harmonica and yakking on CD. They’re from 1975. Several years later he’d be gone forever. I have lots of good memories hanging out at his house. One was we always got to drink Squirt. I didn’t know until a couple of years ago that he used it to mix with his booze. Lol. I’ll update after I play them. :D

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3, Ganado and 11 others like this.
  2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Ahh Vodka and Squirt that's tasty

Gator 45/70, Ganado, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Rum and squirt over ice in a big tumbler is my summer drink of choice for sipping on the porch when it is hot.

Gator 45/70, Ganado, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

OMG I haven't seen Squirt since I was a kid! I don't know if they even sell it here. I will have to check...

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Never heard of Squirt.

That is really cool that your Mom still had those and thought to share.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Goes good with tequila as well..

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sold anywhere that Snapple can be found.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

What would you guys say kind of a grapefruit soda ish nice crispe taste very good just not widely known even though it started in 1938

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Haven't heard of Squirt since the early '70s . To be honest , I had all but forgotten about it .
    Very little left of my Gramps places , except in my mind . sure was better times then .

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We have Tapes made by my Mother, and my Sisters, of Great GrandMa, GrandMa, and Mother, and our Father, telling the Family Stories going back over 6 Generations.... A few years back I took ALL those Tapes and converted them to MP3s, and distributed them ALL on CDs and DVDs to ALL the Posterity of those Generations... I also sent a copy to the Historical Department of the LDS Church, for their Generational Archives they would be archived in perpetuity... Then there was a Old Frenchman Logger from Maine, (90 +years old) who Pioneer the area around here, whose Family is well know in our area, and the GrandDaughters sat him down a decade ago or so and got his whole history on Tape. After seeing what I did for my Family History, and asked if I would edit their Tapes, and make MP3s for their Family and to give the Old Man, an opportunity to review his history and then convert those into a Book, which was just published last year... I was happy to do it for them... Family Histories are a BLAST to read or listen to,,, One of my Favorite Stories from Great Grandma Call was one About her Brother in Law "Hatchet Jack Perkins" who's claim to fame in the Histories, was, He was known to ALWAYS carry a Hatchet in his Belt, and a Known Drunk...His demise was spectacular in that he got in a fight in a Saloon, and to get away after using the Hatchet to dispatch his opponent, He jumped thru a Second Story Glass Window, and chopped his Leg off when he landed on the Hatchet, and Bleed to death, on the Spot..."

Gator 45/70, Zimmy, Meat and 4 others like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

My Gramps was a tool maker. He worked at Keyport, Wa. Great person sober. We’d shoot guns, explore his woods, and even play Lawn Darts. The deadly kind. Good times. :D

12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I finally listened to one of the CD’s. He was really good. He played a lot of patriotic type songs. The CD was around 45 minutes long and there’s one more. I think the next one is where he got into the booze a little. Oops. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

My paternal grandfather had a photo finishing shop in Chicago, my father and uncles would pick up the film from drugstores all over the city and bring it in for developing and printing, then deliver the photos back to the stores.

He was also a WWl vet, and a pilot. I found out about that when I came across a photo of my grandmother sitting in the cockpit of a biplane! When I questioned my father about it, I learned that gramps taught aerial photography to the Royal Candian air force during the war!

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Meat like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I never knew my father's father, but dad remembered him chopping firewood and taking dad (a youngster during WWII) to the POW camp in Wakulla County, Florida. They kept German POWs there. Grandad was a farmer, fisherman and general handyman. He passed away before I was born.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Meat like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Squirt was better when they used real grapefruit and cane sugar. Still ok and on the rare occasion I have a soda it’s usually a&w root beer, squirt, or tinder ale

1. Motomom34
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. runswithdogs
  4. Meat
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Motomom34
  7. Bishop
    [img] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Feb 7, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  8. Motomom34
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Asia-Off-Grid