Granavoilies Lotus Pods Anyone?

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Gator 45/70, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

These grow wild in the back canals and bayous in Lafourche Parish.
    Its been many years since I've seen these, People eat the seeds.
    My question has some monkey on board seen these or has by chance eaten these?

granavoilies.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and VisuTrac like this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

That's Lotus, all right. They are EVERYWHERE, here in Cambodia. Khmers eat the pods after the leaves fall off the plant. They also eat the roots of the plant, often with pork or fish.

They grow in the ponds here. We have tons of them in ponds near the farm. Before my bees were murdered (poisoned), Lotus was one of the plants they would visit.

lotus.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Its been so long ago, One of my Bayou friends pointed these out, I may or may not have tried some...lol

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

I've had a few nights like that, myself. Yes, sir. More than a few.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Hey @Gator 45/70, earlier this evening, I happened to see Date Billy walkin' around with a Lotus pod in her hand. I finally caught up to her in the outside kitchen and snapped a photo of her holding it. (No, I don't know why I call her Date Billy. I just do.)

IMG_0552.JPG

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm told the seeds taste like peanut's? Cute lil girl btw!!!

8. Asia-Off-Grid

The boss has gone to find one for me. Honestly, I have no idea. But, you just remember, if I die during this experiment, I don't want you to feel guilty or anything.

UPDATE: Too late. Date Billy ate 'em all. I will have to try one tomorrow morning, after they go to the market. Will update you then. (Iffin' I live through it, of course.)

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ha, New source of food? If Date Billy can handle em' then hopefully you can too...

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  10. Asia-Off-Grid

Apparently, now there is a "pod" shortage in the village. I guess Date Billy ate the last one. It will take a couple of days for them to harvest some more. Now, I have to admit, my curiosity is aroused, regarding finding out what they taste like.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Give us an update when you try some, Others may look at these as an extra mother nature food source during shtf mode !

Asia-Off-Grid and oldawg like this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I didn't know there was anything a Cajun wouldn't eat, properly seasoned of course.

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

First, we have pods. I ate quite a number of those seeds. And, I am happy to report that I lived through it. Photos to follow:

Date Billy holding $.50ยข worth of pods (apparently called seed-heads), with her mom in the background.
    IMG_0562_r.JPG

Split opened pod with seeds, both large and small. When eating the smaller, younger seeds, break the outer shell off and eat them. When eating the larger, older seeds, break the outer shell off which will reveal a very bitter tasting part inside. (Notice the opened seed at the bottom of the image.) You have to remove that small part in the middle, to appreciate the taste of the older seeds.
    IMG_0568_r.JPG

This is a better image of the part of the seed to remove. I have no idea what they are actually called.
    I do know to remove them from the larger seeds before consuming.
    IMG_0570_r.JPG

All in all, @Gator 45/70, they do have a "nutty" taste to them. There is a slightly different flavor from the younger, to the older seeds. So, you were right, in that they do have a similar taste to peanuts.

From what I understand, they also have certain medicinal properties and can even prevent aging.

This is Asia-Off-Grid, reporting from the jungles of Cambodia. And, still alive and kicking!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    oldawg, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've eaten the seeds and roots.

I have a Chinese coworker who was amazed that we had Lotus in Texas. I pointed a patch out to him and left him to his own devices. A week later he brought the seeds (mildly spiced and roasted) and roots (sliced then boiled maybe, I dunno).

The roots were fairly flavorless and the nuts were as described above. They went on my list of SHTF foraging foods.

Gator 45/70, ghrit and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7