Gravely disappointed...and severely concerned!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragonfly, Jan 14, 2010.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[winkthumb] Thanks for starting such an interesting thread.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Wow...
    I got a second education just reading all the great comments here!
    I had a desk that once held an ink bottle, and the school did have the pens with ink bladders! They ( for some reason that escaped me until I read the post here about it) just absolutely refused to let us play with them or the ink/bottles!
    I too recall many people that were graduated rom my 8th grade classes that could not even write, much less read...it went downhill from there!
    I had a distinct disadvantage to learning about math, and history....
    I hated it!
    But, when I decided I wanted to become a photogapher, I soon discovered that there was a tremendous amount of math involved.....
    Then, later on in life, I went into aerospace machining, and had to learn to talk to a CNC machine ( the NC's were much easier with the tapes! LOL) I was over 40 then!
    I have learned more about history today watching the history channel, and the military channel, than 4 years of high school could ever teach me.
    (sad, but all too true)
    Now, just a couple days ago, I had to use a math calcualtion which I never did learn, and had to ask my 20 year old son.....I can use pi, and basics, so I thought I was covered....WRONG!
    I had to ask how on earth to figure the area of a triangle...it was embarassing, but he showed me and I was flabbergasted that it was so easy!
    I just did not learn it, probably as I felt intimidated by math, back in school.
    So at least I know they are learning something, and I feel better about that at least....He knows something about computers, having taken 4 years of them....
    Me, I'm still asking him how to solve a dilemna I get myself into on this thing, and it may take him a few minutes, but he gets me going again!
    It may be a bad idea to try to teach him anything mechanical. As far as vehicles, as I doubt they'll be anyhting like I had or worked on in past times....
    He took 4 years of stage production, as he had already had experience on my table saws, hand saws, sabre saws, skil saws, drills, grinders and such...He did very good there! I have bought a ton (or more) of books on all kinds of subjects, but his mother complains almost every day, all he does is on the computer...!
    Now, If I can ONLY get him to read and expand the knowledge he already has acquired...the Best I can hope for, is to get them interested and turn them loose!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7