Grease Containers

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TexasAggie, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Monkey+++

When I was growing up in the 1950s, my Mom, both Grandmas had on the kitchen cabinet a grease container wiht a strainer. I though Mom used to pore the bacon/pork grease into the can and the strainer removed particles.
    I know during WW II this was turned in, but I thought this grease was saved for later use.

Does anyone remember this and where do you find those containers. Also, how long can the grease be saved?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Around my 'rents and g'rents houses, soup cans got used. As long as it didn't stink or grow odd looking things, it was good to go.

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

i still have one for bacon grease and one for lard
    and another for other greases
    lard and bacon grease will keep for damned near ever
    if they do get stale, heat them up and drop in some raw taters to fry
    cleans the grease right up

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Y'all mean you have not been keeping a jar or clean can of bacon grease in the frig all along. Some of us was country, before country was cool, or so the song goes. I don't remember ever not having a bacon grease container for seasoning, adding a little flavor or fat where needed, or just to fry some fresh eggs from the neighbors free range chickens.[beer]. ... I put a bit of bacon fat in my refried beans along with inions as well. I don't strain my bacon grease either, I want those tiny brown pieces for the flavor they impart to whatever I add them too. ..... just sayin'

Motomom34 and Pax Mentis like this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Ah, bread and dripping...a long lost cuisine treat for some

Bread and dripping (beef lard though occasionally bacon fat) seasoned with salt and pepper used to feature as part of my diet as a child...it came with the culture of thrift learned by a mother who lived through the depression and knew what real hunger was. The very thought of bread and dripping on school lunches would probably give present day health food advocates several heart attacks! ; )

Although animal fats will store for quite a while without deteriorating, they won't last for ever...depending on rendering technique and on method of storage...once exposed to air...probably 2-3 months in cool storage, 9-10 months refrigerated and about 2 years stored frozen. Exposure to air, light and unrefrigerated storage will result in eventual oxidisation of the product, causing it to become rancid and unwholesome.

Storage container hygiene (sterilise) keeping foreign matter out of the product, and appropriate rendering techniques will help produce lard that will keep well. Glass jars will not react with rendered lard unlike some tin cans. Cans that are lined for storage of corrosive (high acid) food products such as tomatoes would be preferred if glass jars are not available or practical.

Fats to be used for making soap or for slush lamps don't need quite the same degree of scrupulous hygiene precautions as for fats to be put aside for human consumption.

here are some useful links on rendering and storing animal fats.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />Oils and Fats Handling/Safety/Storage: Easy How-To Cooking Tips & Advice: RecipeTips.com

How to render pork fat to make lard - Seattle farmers market | Examiner.com

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7