Great Eclipse 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Imasham, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I'm staying in Dubois with my kids. On the morning of we're driving about 30 minutes south on I5 to get to the centerline so we have more totality time. Dubois gets 96 seconds while my spot gets 137.

2. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

American Paper Optics is in my home town, they make the glasses and I bought a hundred to give as gifts.

3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Lots of cheep certified glasses on Amazon right now.

4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

We're in the 90-95% zone so we'll be wearing the ones from Amazon (yes, certified) for the whole thing. Kids will be in the back yard and I'll probably be at work on the top deck of the parking garage or out on the open by the "lake".

5. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

You're that close and you're not going for a drive?!!

6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Personally I've seen 2 total eclipses. I'm good. The plan isn't to make a trek but then again, the wife may get a wild hare and we end up going.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Trunk Monkey

i live just north of salem, my plans are to somehow get to work and then walk outside for a few min and watch this all go down.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We have some old time Monkeys that live directly in the path.... I called them up today, to check and see if they were ready for the Hoards, coming to visit... They just laughed....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm a thinking you need to call in dead and we go shootin! Gotta see how an eclipse effect changes our shooting! Lol

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  10. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Trunk Monkey

i have august 10th off as i get back from hawaii on the 9th... maybe we can make somethin happen

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Lets do it! Any other monkeys in the valley around Salem? GOG, you down?

12. BTPost

How is Canby from you guys?

13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What happens during a total eclipse according to Farmers Almanac-
    https://www.almanac.com/content/total-solar-eclipse-2017-guide-and-map

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Salem Oregon has a whole website for info on the eclipse-

They gave a list of what to prepare for if you are traveling:

What to Do To Prepare for The Potential Traffic

In those areas- traffic, maybe gas shortage and cell phone may not work. This is only for an eclipse, imagine in a true emergency.

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I'm setting up a program at the college for some HS students... snacks will be SunDrops, Sunkist, and moonpies....

Tempstar and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Long range forecasts are now coming out. Sunny skies predicted for my viewing location. Fingers crossed!

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

So I contacted our hotel where I have four rooms booked. Because of some people dropping out I don't need all of the rooms so I asked if I could drop one. The owner said she was turning people away left and right so there was no problem with me doing so. This was in a very small town in nowhere Idaho with just one small hotel!

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am really enjoying the eclipse reporting.
    They are expecting 600,000 in WY alone.

There is a small town in Wyoming, Glendo. It is a town of 2,000 and they are expecting 100,000 plus. I read on Glendo's FB page and there are 6 astrologists from Germany that will be in Glendo. It astounds me how so many people will put effort and $$ into viewing eclipse. I heard it will last less then a half hour.

19. BTPost

Did you-a'll hear about the Lady that called up her local Museum, and asked if the Eclipse could be rescheduled to another Day, so her Kids, who were starting School, could see it, at the museum... I kid you NOT.... The Museum Director stated they were trying to formulate a response...

ghrit likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My grandniece is starting school tomorrow. They are getting eclipse day off ---

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7