Greek banks prepare plan to raid deposits to avert collapse

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by stg58, Jul 4, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Wife thinks we are out of sugar! Maybe in the house! Anyway I gotta go to town in the AM and I'll slide by the store for a couple of 4 lb bags but I won't touch the stash.

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I ate rice we had stored for 5 yrs because at the time we were too lazy to go and get more before dinner. We ended up eating down the whole bucket and it was fine. Subsequently did replace it and put another bucket into storage.

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We're putting most of our fruit this year into making booze and I'm having to seriously re-evaluate my sugar storage now. What was once a 5 year supply looks like it *might* last one summer of brewing. Our apricot tree only produces every 3-4 years thanks to late freezes, hail, wind, etc, but this year we've already pulled in over 50 pounds and the tree is still covered. At 5 pounds per batch, that's a LOT of apricot wine and brandy, and a LOT of sugar. And we haven't even started on the blackberries or peaches. Or tomatillo... think we're going to try a small batch of tomatillo wine for chits and giggles.

What's annoying about sugar is when the 4 pound bags go on sale (which is about once a month here) they're cheaper per pound than buying 25 or 50 pound bags. 50 boxes of mac&cheese no problem, my keeds gots ta eat yo. But 100 bags of sugar? The last time I rolled up on the register with that in the cart the cashier laughed and asked if I was going to sugar someone's gas tank. I flashed her my most evil grin, heh.

BlueDuck, kellory, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  4. ditch witch

Yabbut this is Texas where the hair is big and the asses are ginormous. They probably think I'm going home to eat it straight from the bag.

oldawg, kellory, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ditch_witch and HK_User I really appreciate the practical advise I will try freezing this year or metal cans

6. ditch witch

@Ganado if you make it to an Asian market in search of those pork bellies, take a second to check out their rice aisle. If it's a big market they should have an entire section full of 25 and 50 pound bags of all sorts. You'll discover the reason I get *my* rice (as opposed to the stuff I store for the dogs) there. You can SMELL it. It smells amazing. And they'll have all kinds too. The black rice is kinda cool. I stock a lot of Three Ladies brand Jasmine and sticky, maybe not as good as Milagrosa or Golden Phoenix but a bit less $$. Tamanishiki has the best short grain IMO.

Ganado likes this.
  7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

So are you sending out apricot wine samples or what?

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[ditto]

ditch witch and Ganado like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think ditch witch and gopherman are having wine tasting party next year ;)

Unless of they drink it all befor then :)

Tobit likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7