Greeting from Western NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maypop52, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Maypop52

Maypop52 Monkey

Hello fellow Monkeys,

Greeting from Western NC. I joined your tree a week or so back and now it is time to let you know about me. I am 68 years old, retired IT manager who decide to leave the more urban area about 8 years ago for something a little more remote in western NC. Not in isolation, but about 30 minutes from any size town. My wonderful wife and I have been working on being able to be more independent and self-sufficient. You can’t do these things without the wife on board. My wife is still working and in the medical field. She is planning to go full time here at the homestead beginning next year.

We have some animals; chickens, goats, dogs and cats. Chickens for the eggs for now and if food supplies dry up, we will learn to eat what we raise. Still trying to figure out why we need dogs and cats, other that the company and ability to keep undesirables at bay.

My interests include comms (advanced ham ticket), reloading, guns, music and being “prepared”. So there it is. I admit it, I am a prepper. Not the “Doomsday Prepper” type, just knowing in my heart that the life we have enjoyed for so many years will probably change, sooner rather than later. Recently we have adding freeze drying to our preps. That is interesting and coming along very well.

I am looking forward to getting to know some of you better. Just from my lurking, I can see there is a lot of knowledge available and is freely shared.

Thanks for letting me in. Let me know if I can help anyone from my neck of the woods.

Maypop52

STANGF150, GOG, Sunnyvibes and 4 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[welcomeLG] from NEPA maypop52. You should have no trouble finding answers to questions or questions to answer.
    Let BTPost know your call sign, he'll get you set up with the SM hams and the (inactive) net. Advanced, eh? Cool.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!
    We used to seek out maypops in the woods as teens,Don't know is they have any food/medical value?
    Probably contain the cure for cancer?

SB21 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome from the INW mountains.

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Howdy, again...

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey... Sounds like you have the makings of paradise started.

7. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Hola!!

8. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Welcome!

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Greetings from south Alabama! Wife grew up in western NC, Piedmont region. Glad to have you in the Monkey Tree.

10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Welcome from north Alabama!

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Welcome from another part of NC ,, presently in the coastal region,, but occasionally in the foothills region ,,, we've got another Monkey or 2 in your AO ,,, welcome aboard.

STANGF150 likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome from the Pacific NW!!!
    Tramped around the woods of Fayett'nam and Southern Pines a bit..... glad to see you here.

SB21 and GOG like this.
  13. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Hello from Yancey County!

SB21 likes this.
  14. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Howdy from central FL. We spend a lot of time up near Bryson City at our cabin. Mostly summers.

I have a general license. I have only tried my HT's up there but this summer I'll bring a portable shack. And put up a decent antenna. I'm KO4HLR. (Anthony). Ocala, FL. / Almond, NC.

SB21 likes this.
  15. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

greeting from coastal SC

SB21 likes this.
  16. Sunnyvibes

Sunnyvibes Monkey

Welcome. Looking forward to your posts and hearing more about your prepping.

SB21 likes this.
  17. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

SB21 likes this.
  18. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Welcome from the Western NC foothills. Rutherford County here.

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7