Greetings, any old TB2k/TOL or LATOC people here?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lynnie, Nov 4, 2010.

1. lynnie

lynnie Monkey+

Hi all, this is the same old lynnie from Y2k and beyond boards. Still prepping, thinking about wiping down the fallout shelter in case we ever have to actually use it, still married to wonderful Markus, still living for Jesus. Still a peak: oil/water/soil/antibiotics/economy/etc, doomer.

Heard this was one of the best all round doom-prep boards. Any old cyber friends here? Glad to meet you all (y).
    Lynnie

2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Calling yourself a doomer is passe, we prefer to call ourselves preppers now!
    Please consider yourself welcome here.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome, welcome, welcome.....

I would call myself intelligently anxious and inclined to doing things that alleviate my anxiety, such as storing food and supplies against present and future need, and developing the skills and wherewithall to live a good life whether the world goes down the toilet, or not.

Welcome to the site Lynne, and welcome to as nice a group of eccentric and not so eccentric folk as you are likely to find in prepper land.

The gender ratio here is mostly blokey, but there are some wimmin to share your recipes, shootin', and critter (man) wranglin' ideas and knowledge with.

Cheers from Chello

4. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Hello, I've been reading LATOC since 2005. Never posted there cause I think most people there are uber liberals. Not exactly my cup of tea.

5. overshoot

overshoot Neophyte Monkey

I'm a former LATOC'er... Can't believe that forum went down....

Is this site some right-wing site? I really hope not, because some of what made LATOC great (after you ignore the crazies) is the diversity of thought.

Honestly I think you are way off though on the political demographics of LATOC. I'd estimate it to be: 20% Libertarians 30% Financial Conservatives 15%Social Conservatives/Tea Partiers 20% Liberals , 15% Far-Left/Anarchist (or Anarcho-Capitalists)

That is why that site was so valuable to me. I'm really hoping this site isnt just preaching to the choir / right-wing ****. If it can even be 1/2 of what LATOC was, with intelligent discourse, then I can be glad to have found a new community.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm an apolitical Libertarian who doesn't follow left or right. We have a mix of both wings here and sometimes sparks fly but I don't allow preaching from bully pulpits.

Got gold?

Glad to have all of you LATOCers. I created a Peak Oil forum for you so you can continue (or recreate) your playhouse... ;) Our resident Oil man is on assignment in Saudi right now. Minuteman still comes back from time to time although Saudi Arabia blocks this site...

7. lynnie

lynnie Monkey+

Hi portis, I was shocked myself. I guess the $3,000 a year and endlessly faulty software might have been hard on Matt.

I think you are right about the diversity, but the "loudest" ones and the most contemptuous and crude were pretty far to the left or anarchy side.

I decide to quit about four times and it was freaky, all four times I got PMs- like the same day- from somebody saying they appreciated my conservative viewpoint and posting, so I hung in there.

I once got a PM from a mod saying a particular post was scientific and had good research behind it and they agreed with me, but would I please not post anymore on that because it just incited some folks to vicious flames and made the board look bad to visitors. I could not help but wonder why they didn't just ban the vicious flamers, but hey, not my forum, so I did as requested.

It was great for econ links, I will miss that. But this looks like a good site.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

SM has never been much of a newshound site like TB2K or TOL, (I visit both) and tends to chew on things with an eye on the larger picture rather than digest play by play happenings.

We also don't tend to read into the news like GLP, TB2K and TOL to some extent. I've pretty well checked out and only reach out to extract news that I'm interested in.

SM is also not as fast as the above mentioned. We've got a steady growth curve but seem to have a lot of readers/lurkers as well. I think a lot of the readership here has checked out and just comes in looking for info.

Welcome to all.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Please, all, take note of the CoC; we know you read it once, but we tend to believe in it, created as it was rather deliberately. Melbo has the final say if there are problems, but we have a small number of folks that like quick slaps on the "red button." Flames such as you've experienced at your old home will be put out. That said, you are all welcome to take refuge on SM. Do, by all means, add to our knowledge base. It is extensive, but not all knowing.

[welcomeLG] all.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7