Grid Tie question, sort of.

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by CodE BluE, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

NOT ALLOWED !!!
    Don't fool with the power of the seller of power . ,They can destroy you.

Do a safety switch or manual transfer Switch & only transfer on NO LOADS on !! ..
    Im Grid tied 14K + panels 40KWH per day
    S

2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

You have the right idea but your implementation still needs some work. You can wire your inverter into your panel on a 240v breaker then turn the main breaker off going into your panel and power your panel with the 240v breaker. I have seen kits to put on your breaker panel that will lock out the main breaker while your generator breaker is on, that may be a good idea to keep you from accidentally back feeding the main line coming to your house and killing a line worker if the power goes out. I am assuming you are in the US and have 240v power.

I would find someone nearby that is familiar with such things and can help you out for a beer or two.

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  3. CodE BluE

CodE BluE In need of resuscitation.

The batteries are deep cycle marine. I'm also looking at Apex 225aH batteries.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My house is wired for all 3
    the grid system is left intact.
    my own wiring from my system
    and my own wiring 6 and 12 volts DC in the house as well .
    Each system has it's own fusing and independent wiring never the twain shall meet.
    The money you might save in fancy switching is saved in simple operation so that if there is a problem it is easier to diagnose the source. I have DC 6 and 12 volt wiring through out the house for lighting and other operations . inverted power is restricted to things that cannot be run on DC and grid power is relegated to things that have a higher demand than my inverters can supply; welders, and air compressors, and refrigeration, and swamp coolers .

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Marine batteries are NOT "deep cycle". They are a compromise between true deep cycle and starting batteries, heavier duty than starting batteries, but not in the same class as true deep cycle batteries.

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Good, then you haven't bought anything yet. If we are going to talk batteries, I will have to know what you intend to charge them with, at what rate the charge can be (this will depend upon your system charger, and the amount of discharge of the battery array), the load they will be required to support, and the duration they will be required to support that load. This is necessary to determine the number of batteries you will require and the type of battery that will best suit your intended application. One other consideration is budget... I'm not made of money either and always have to find a compromise based upon what I want and what I can afford.

There is a wealth of information on batteries, battery types, inverters, generators, and everything from emergency power systems to stand alone power generation here on the Monkey. If Search doesn't work, we'll help find a link or provide the information. All we need is some specific information in order to help. Otherwise it is like fishing in a dry river bed....

7. CodE BluE

I have to say this. Frankly I'm in battle with my Power Company and a couple politicans. I had planned on adding 6 to 8 buildings on my property. Long story short, a rate increase with some extra fees on top of that. I told them I would go off grid, they said fine. Here I am discussing with you all. Its the principle of it all now.

Now, for the system itself, I don't like being vague about all the details but there's someone I know, right now making money off a project I did for them. I will try to paint the best picture about the system as possible. It starts one small power source, i.e. solar, wind, or generator. From here, think of a pyramid platform. In my case, I'm using a generator. It powers are series of charging stations that are assigned a set number of batteries. Each battery bank is set up in two blocks. One block at a time is used to supply a inverter, while the other charges and waits in reserve. In this case I'm looking to use a 7500 gas generator, charging stations, 72 deep cycle 1000mca batteries that are in banks of 6, which are in blocks of 3. I am leaning towards 12, 10,000 watts inverters, but found a 16,000 watts inverter. So I'm not sure which way I'll go. So, it is a cluster of independent systems tied together through the generator and charging stations. Once it built I just wanted to cut power to the main, remove the cover off the panel my utility room, pull the wires from each breaker and plug them into the secondary breaker box I will install. This is where my original question came from. I did think I could put a plug end on the wire and plug directly in the inverters. Hope this gives a better picture.

8. CodE BluE

I have found some electric charging station that can charge at a rate of 3A to 15A. Voltage sensor, charge percent, programmable automatic charge percent shutoff, so you don't have to worry about over charging. I think the one I'm leaning towards is a 300A system .

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You probably don't want a 7kw gas generator for charging batteries.

What inverter brand, voltage and batteries were you going to use?

300 amps at what voltage?
    To handle 300 amps you need like 3/0 or 4/0 gauge wire.

How much power do you use now?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  10. CodE BluE

I understand, I have been looking at different ones. I like the Apex 225aH.

11. CodE BluE

The generator is for the battery charging stations. I found some Power Jack (16kW 12v/24v 120/240) inverters and a PI-8000(10kW 12v 110). 135aH marine batteries or Apex Deep Cycle 225aH. 300 @ 12v.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Right now, forget about using 12v. Trust me.
    If you are thinking about whole house your only option is 48v.

Those inverters are typical Chinese made junk, expect then to have a total meltdown at more than 2000 watts if sustained for more than a few minutes.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you try to pull 8Kw from ANY 12 Vdc Battery, it is going to explode, and destroy itself... Most knowledgable Folks try not to pull more than 120 Amps from a Battery System at any one time... That means for 12 Vdc you can get a Maximum of about 1.5 Kw at any one time... and for 24Vdc you can get about 3 Kw, at 48 Vdc you can get 6 Kw or so... This is for Lead Acid Batteries... I suspect that for Lithium Based Batteries this could be doubled, but. that is just a WAG....

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Also each one of those 12v 255ah batteries is only going to contain about 1kwh of useable power.

Also the stand by power draw on cheap inverters is massive for something that is going to be running all the time. Usually at least a few amps.

15. CodE BluE

T
    Thanks. Hadn't figured that out.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

How many kwh is your monthly bill?

Because 12v systems are typically good for 2 to 3 kwh per day.
    You absolutely do not want to power a house with 12v inverters. Lots of people have tried all have failed, unless their only loads are a laptop, a few lights, cell phone, garage door should be ok, should be able to get away with front loader washing machine, a small refrigerator is pushing it, add a microwave and your are really testing your luck.
    Absolutely no: air conditioning, electric based water heating, clothes dryers, electric range, no electrical space heat of any kind, no gas heaters with electrical blowers, probably no "always on" satellite or cable DVR, no ceiling fans, ect.

What exactly are you trying to do?
    PM some of us if you don't want to say.

1. Prepper12
  2. Prepper12
  3. Big Ron
  4. Ganado
  5. thatclyde
  6. ED GEiN
  7. GrayGhost
  8. Hillbilly549
  9. Papa_asf130