Grilling, smoking, BBQ, campfire cooking...

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thought I'd start a thread related to cooking with fire and smoke and such... If there is already, I apologize. I guess I'll start it off.

BUT PLEASE SHARE YOURS!!

Tonight, like I do about weekly, I fired up the grill. I like to use a combination of charcoal and kiawe wood for cooking and smoking. And I like having a red hot searing and grilling side and a cooler smoky side when I cook (unless I am making a large amount, then I have to adjust accordingly). I do this both at home and at camp. At camp, it is kiawe all the way, so a little bit better.

So hamburgers are grilling while the roast is smoking after getting seared on both sides.

[​IMG]

Hamburger steaks done

[​IMG]

Smoked three kinds of sausage... two types of Japanese snap sausages and Polish sausages.

[​IMG]

Grilled corn

[​IMG]

Roast beef

[​IMG]

Chocolate bananas dessert

[​IMG]

The surf component was a whole mess of clams

[​IMG]

Little monkey are two plates before I could take my first bite. Sheesh...

[​IMG]

The guts of the banana dessert

[​IMG]

After washing it down with coffee, I am so full!

By the way, half a chimney of charcoal and one small piece of kiawe wood was more than enough for all this.

2. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I use different styles of grills for different dishes. I have a pair of Weber 22 1/2" grills with lots of accessories, a gas grill for fast fixings, an upright propane smoker for the long cooks, and yesterday I finally got a Char-Griller kamado style Akorn cooker.

I have wanted a kamado style cooker since I saw my first Big Green Egg. I got it put together and seasoned yesterday and cooked up a couple of frozen burgers. So far, I am impressed, especially with the ability to hold a steady temp.

Prolly gonna try something a bit more ambitious today.

Kajun

pearlselby, Hanzo, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We LOVE to grill out. Like @TXKajun I have a couple here. We have a gas/charcoal and a smoker. Working on gathering up materials for a true smokehouse. I'll post pics next time I fire up.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@TXKajun. Which one do you have The Big Green Egg or another brand? I've looked at 2 different ones and I can't see any difference except price. Your thoughts would be much appreciated

@Hanzo. Great thread. Those bananas look yummy

Hanzo likes this.
  5. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Ganado I have the Char-Griller brand, Akorn #16820 kamado style, not the Big Green Egg. It was only $249 on sale at Walmart yesterday.

Tully Mars, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Pictures, folks!

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a char-griller grill with a side box burner. Used to have the side burner (propane), but using it to start the chimney of coals caused it to rust out. :(

I usually cook several boston butts for pulled port, and ribs (of course, being in Memphis :) ).

Sorry no pictures, had a bunch but recently deleted them to save space. When I grill the boston butts (pork shoulder) I also grill some "smoked fatties". These are 1lb breakfast sausage rolls, split in half length wise, make a depression or hollow out slightly and add in any filling you want (cheese, peppers (spicy/sweet), onion, etc.) put the two halves back together, seal the seams and then wrap in bacon. Smoke with indirect heat for about 3 hours then slice and serve.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am down wind of the Messhall, today, and they are Charcoal Grilling up the Standard Alaska Camp Fare for a Saturday Dinner....
    T-Bone Steaks.... The aroma on the wind, is "Outstanding"..... and we get Ice Cream Sundays with that, for Dessert.....

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I am smoking some brisket as we speak! Made kind of an -I shaped unit using cinderblocks, and then put an twenty yer old tube style metal smoker on top of the I piece. Now I have a good cold smoker I can feed logs into, and not have to worry about fire touching anything. I'll try and snap a pick, and get it up.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How do I like that twice?

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've never done this, but was told it was a handy way to start the charcoal-guess I'll just stick to the lighter fluid and a match;)

I've GOTTA try these!(y)(y)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Hanzo likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Use a chimney to start up your coals!

Tully Mars likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Roast beef

[​IMG]

Teriyaki kebabs

[​IMG]

CATO, Georgia_Boy, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

IMG_20140413_163708_109.

Georgia_Boy, Motomom34, Hanzo and 3 others like this.
  15. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

My hubby wanted to try our new charcoal chimney. It worked really well.

100_4107.JPG

100_4098.JPG

100_4113.JPG

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Now we're cooking!

And chimneys are awesome.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Need cooling aids when grilling too...

[​IMG]

18. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Awesome, Hanzo!

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Roast beef

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Doing it right. Doing it right
    For 300

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7