Grilling, smoking, BBQ, campfire cooking...

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Looks great.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yum.

pearlselby likes this.
  3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I can't take pictures worth a flip, but I can sure cook with my new Akorn!!

A couple of weeks ago, I added the small charcoal grill from one of my Webers to the Akorn, topped it with a pizza stone and a tray of water. I flopped a 2" bone-in ribeye on and did a reverse sear. This turned out to be the best steak I have EVER eaten, bar none!

Then, yesterday, I did the pizza stone/water tray part plus I used my IQ 110 to keep the temp at 225F. I smoked a small pork roast for about 4 hours to an internal temp of 165. It was definitely not pulled-pork tender, but it sliced like a dream! While it was resting, I put on some boneless chicken thighs after getting the Akorn temp up to 400 F. I cooked up some Navajo Fry Bread and we had Indian Tacos. Wowzers! Definitely in my top 3 meals ever. Sweetie: "Don't you DARE change ANYTHING!" LOL

Love that Akorn and with the IQ 110, it's a heck of a cooking system!

Kajun

Hanzo, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I do miss the discussion groups. I particularly like the BBQ/smoking group.. Have a few of their post saved and was thinking of uploading them in a PDF format..And some of the other txt that I had saved from the 90's

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Gotta come eat at your place!!

6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Hanzo, you better bring all the monkeys, too, as good as my new and old setups cook! :D

Kajun

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yeehaw!! And we can eat, @TXKajun!

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

tacmotusn likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Grillin' day today. Monkeys like steak. And corn. Wifee likes potatoes.

Pork belly was smoked, potatoes roasted, and corn grilled.

[​IMG]

Monkeys like steak

[​IMG]

The pork

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just one of the things I like to look at when grilling. Truth be told, I was zoning. Was tired after breaking in the new bike in the afternoon sun.

[​IMG]

Dinner

[​IMG]

Witch Doctor 01, Ganado and CATO like this.
  10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Sheeesh, Hanzo! How many you feeding??? LOL

Got my Char-Griller Akorn Kamado fired up along with the Pitmaster IQ-110 set at 25. Charcoal laid out in a "C" pattern with a couple of hickory chunks for smoke. I've learned just a couple of small chunks does fine for the smoking.....too much and it makes the meat bitter.

Got a slab of ribs smoking. Gonna do burgers and hot dogs later this afternoon, when the ribs are finished. Simple bbq this time. :) A small pan of bbq-baked beans and maybe a lemon meringue pie to finish it off. Oh yeah, our son has requested Navajo fry bread, so I'll help him whip up a batch of that for Indian tacos, maybe some chili (the soup kind, not the green chili kind) that I've canned to go with the burgers, hot dogs and tacos.

Happy Labor Day ya'll.

Kajun

Ganado, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just feeding hungry monkeys.

How do you make Navajo fry bread?

Ganado likes this.
  12. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Hanzo, it's a real simple recipe.

4 C all purpose flour
    1 T double acting baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 C water
    1 C vegetable shortening or oil

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in water and knead on a floured surface until it forms a soft but not sticky dough. Let dough stand, covered, fr 15 minutes. Pull off egg-size pieces of dough (or larger if you want), stretch into 1/4" thick rounds, tear small hole in middle. In a large, heavy skillet, heat shortening or oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking. Carefully lay in flatbread and fry until golden brown on bottom, turn, continue until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels, eat.

They can be eaten with chili and lettuce and tomatoes and guacamole on top, with ground taco meat, bbq, wrapped around a sausage or some curry, etc or they can be eaten sweet with honey and/or powdered sugar.

The secret is to not overwork the dough. If you do, the frybread gets tough to eat.

Kajun

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  13. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I like fry bread with ground beef seasoned with red chili, then some beans and top it with onions, cheese, and tomatoes. In NM it is called a Navajo taco and if done right they are awesome.

Ganado, Hanzo and BTPost like this.
  14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

update;

Our Son made the fry bread.....his first time. He did awesome! Lightly browned on both sides, a tad crispy on he crust, chewy innards. Great job!

Some of us had chili (the soup kind, not the green kind---- ya gotta make that distinction down here in NM. LOL) with lettuce and tomatoes on top of the fry bread, some had rib meat (the bones just pulled right out, so it was boneless! Yum!) and lettuce and tomatoes, one of us had a bbq chili cheese burger, one had the fry bread with cinnamon/sugar mixture. I don't think anyone had a hotdog. Guess I'll have to take a couple to work for lunch tomorrow, along with some chili. :) I think a couple of us had some bbq baked pinto beans.

Typical meal saying around here "If ya go hungry, it's your own dang fault!" Tonight, no one went hungry. :)

Kajun

vonslob, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yum! I like the Chinese fry bread served with jook. That's the only kind I've had. Yours sound like pretty much how to make bannock, but fried. Will try some time.

What's the purpose of the hole? Cook more evenly?

Ganado likes this.
  16. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Hole lets oil thru the middle of the fry bread, helping cook more evenly and keeping it from totally puffing up into a sphere. Be aware, you will get bubbles in the dough.....that's normal...when you fry it.

Kajun

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I really like these, but salted and with jook...youtiao...

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Little monkey asked for loco mocos for dinner tonight.

So I grilled up some hamburger steaks.

[​IMG]

Each one was .4 - .5 pounds.

[​IMG]

Little monkey seriously tucking in to her dinner. The burgers were 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. Cooked to about medium well because it is ground. Steaks would be medium rare.

[​IMG]

Big monkey was at tennis. So I cooked, and switched off with Mrs. Hanzo so she could eat and go to sleep early for her race tomorrow morning. A measly ten miler. So what if it's hilly. Ten miles is duck soup for her.

My loco moco.

[​IMG]

Was in a hurry and forgot the chili sauce.

Dont, Bear, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Had to google loco moco. I read that it is the comfort food for Hawaiians also helps with hangovers.

Did you scramble the egg?

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Good eye, @Motomom34. Scrambled the egg. Some people like over easy to get the runny yolk into the mix.

Motomom34 and Bear like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7