Grilling, smoking, BBQ, campfire cooking...

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Hanzo, I'm hoping Santa will bring me a nice shiny new cell phone with a decent camera this year. :)

Hanzo likes this.
  2. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Does broiling count??? Some of the oysters were fresh from the supermarket, in the shell and I shucked, some were from a bottle from the supermarket, put onto shells and all were grilled. Both were very tasty. A sprinkle of bread crumbs, a little fresh grated parm, a couple of drops of hotsauce on each, some excellent shrimp sauce for dipping and crackers to clear the palate between oysters. YUM! [​IMG]

Kajun

Tikka and Hanzo like this.
  3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

OK, time to revive this old thread. I was on another forum a week or so ago and someone mentioned the Pyromid portable grill was back under the name EcoQue. I had never heard of either, so I went to the EcoQue dot com site as well as Amazon and some other sites and took a look around in their portable grill section. Wowzas! I watched the videos, then headed over to Youtube and watched a couple of more. I looked around for old Pyromid reviews and found a couple.

I was impressed. I mentioned in at least one other thread that I was a gadget-kinda-guy, so this thing really caught my attention. :ROFLMAO: I'm getting a few $$ back from taxes (from a bad debt, usually I pay ~$100 or so every year), so I figured what the heck. I started looking around at Amazon and a few other sites that carried the EcoQue and ended up at the Outdoor Chef Store dot com site and got their 15" starter deal which included the 15" grill, foil liners, a pack of Lightning Bug fire starters and they are throwing in a free griddle with each starter pack. Shipping was pretty expensive, almost $30, though. That's a THIRD of what the order cost! I didn't hit the "Buy" button for a couple of days after putting the stuff in the cart, but when I decided to pull the trigger, I happened to notice that if I bought more than $100, shipping was FREE!! Jackpot! I added the Chip Strip and another pack of Lightning Bug fire starters and got to just over $100. It is shipping UPS ground and is scheduled to arrive this coming Wednesday evening.

They bill this as a "portable grill", but it weighs around 15 lbs or so. They stress that it is NOT suitable for backpacking trips unless you have a donkey to carry it. Since I don't have a donkey (no rude comments!! LOL) and I don't camp, this won't be a problem. I have a fair number of other outdoor cookers (5, but who's counting..except Sweetie....and they each have a specific job they do better than any other cooker...or so I told Sweetie..and got away with it, but nothing that is even remotely portable. Many years ago, when the little Hibachi grills were in vogue, I got one and used it several times. It was really sensitive to a breeze tho....any at all and it seemed to blow the heat away before it got to the meat. This puppy has sides and a cover, so it should do well. I spent several days researching portable grills....there's a whole world of them out there! Who'd a thunk? :cool:

When I get a chance, I'll fire that puppy up and see how it works.....and of course I'll post the experience here. :D

Kajun

Hanzo, Ganado and kellory like this.
  4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

The Babe was going to barbeque a rack of ribs yesterday, it's an old Weber propane fired, it was out of propane, only 3 of the 7 bottles on the back porch were full. She did finally pull it off and put it next to the empty ones, so the pellet grill/smoker is put into service, I forget what it cost something like 40% off a $1K+ price tag, so $650.00. Runs on hardwood pellets of whatever flavor you want to buy, and they are available locally good ribs, sorry no pictures.

Rancher

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'll post my awesome grill pics tmrw...

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

grilled pineapple, apple slices, asparagus and mushrooms to go with the steak!

Hanzo and Yard Dart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7