Grocery store ripoff, maybe.

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by kckndrgn, May 2, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think I would do what @BTPost said. I swear this is the second time I have read about thing being shorted. I swear I read what BT wrote before on the Monkey. Sorry to say but the stores are going to make all they can get. I do not leave the store until I have double checked my receipt. At least once a month I am at the service desk fixing over charges, sale prices not ringing up.

@VisuTrac regarding bacon, the price is rising, the packages are smaller and it is half fat. The quality is horrible. I have been real disappointed in the last few months.

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We usually raise our own bacon. Not this year. Due to the virus that is killing off the piglets, prices for weaners are about 3x what they were last year. No pork this year. Guess we'll have to do with chickens, ducks and rabbits.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Visu I think you are the first person to mention the pig flu. I have mentioned it a couple times but not many replies. There is a bacon obsession on this site and I thought the piglet killing flu would be of concern. My Uncle chose not to raise pigs this year either.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I don't purchase any pre-packaged meats and strictly buy over the counter from the butcher for all the meat. That way I can supervise what I am getting and ensure that it is fresh and weighed while I am there. I have seen the best looking steak in a package on top then older looking steaks under it..... all window dressing when they pre-pack.

I go to two different butchers that only sell grass-fed, hormone free meats.... the only way to fly.... getting the same quality at the grocery store is dicey at best. And they have the best darn bacon!!!

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

the farms that are virus free are just participating in supply/demand economics.

Sister had to go 500 miles to get weaners from virus free farm. (usually 40 bucks or buck a pound this year 130 (over 3.00/lb) plus almost 300 in gas. Yep, the economics just isn't in it this year.

If they don't get a handle on the virus. Bacon this year will seem cheap.

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7