Growing Potatoes in Grow Bags

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Dunerunner, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I saw this in a vid the other day where a gal grew potatoes in a series of 20 gallon grow bags. The bags seem fairly inexpensive, the cost would be in the potting soil to fill them. I liked the fact that to harvest you just pull off the top growth and dump the bags out on a tarp then sift through the soil for your potatoes. No digging.

Has anyone tried this? Did you buy seed potatoes? Has anyone done sweet potatoes?

crowdaddy, Gator 45/70, duane and 2 others like this.
  2. oldman1111

oldman1111 Monkey

I have potatoes in bags full of leaves. I will know soon if it works.
    [flag]

crowdaddy, Gator 45/70, duane and 4 others like this.
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    Gator 45/70, duane and SB21 like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

bags / pots work here just fine , as for seed spuds , NAW to much $ for a spud you like .
    We grow reds and golds plus sweet (yams) .
    We buy 2 from the store with good size and dimples (eyes) and from the organic section .
    Cut the spud into 1/6ths with eyes in every piece . Bury an inch down in the pot and wait till it starts to grow the greens ,add dirt till pot is full and greens are all popping up and over
    golds are 40 feet away from reds and yams (no cross spuds) .To make skin hard cut off top of greens 2 weeks before harvest time and the skin is toughened ..
    put dirt in another area for next year and grow something else in that used spud dirt.
    use different dirt each year to stop potato weevil.
    Sloth
    that happens here, my ranch is beside the largest farm on the rock what grows spuds and cranberry's

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

We have done this - well - my wife did this. She sewed sacks made of Landscape fabric and good soil. The potatoes tasted the same, were good, but the size was small and the quantity of potatoes was no where near the amount you would normally get. Yes, she used seed potatoes. She believes it was growing them in the fabric that was the problem as she tried it twice with different variety of seed potatoes. So, she got burned twice and never tried it again... Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Gator 45/70, duane and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I have grown them in the 50# gunny sacks the seed taters come in over winter under grow lights. Fill the bags with used putting mix, straw and composted manure. Sew the top of the bag shut and cut down one of the edges long ways top to bottom. Works fairly well, best suited for the Red taters like Norlands and pontiacs or for new white potatoes. Price of taters here I may be doing that again come next winter.

Gator 45/70, duane and Dunerunner like this.
  7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

We grow potatoes in bags and 5gallon buckets use potatoes from the store that sprout Mostly red

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm wanting to put in some raised beds this year,, what are some of the easiest and cheapest ways to put in raised beds ,, I'm thinking 12-16 inches deep.

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I like the idea of using landscape timbers...
    [​IMG]

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Green is arsenic poison , nice food !!
    Ceder has talon and stops growth .
    I used fencing from HD / Lowes .
    IMG_2935.JPG
    corner square 4x4 stored in my rafter
    IMG_2934.JPG 2X6 boards that are 16' long IMG_2932.JPG corners IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2930.JPG
    Finished
    Sloth

IMG_2933.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and duane like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Potatoes will will grow successfully in bags or pots containing free draining potting soil. There are purpose manufactured 'grow bags' specifically for potatoes and other root crops with a similar growing habit...they are generally available fairly cheaply from most big box hardware stores and larger nurseries. Theses potato grow bags allow for continuous harvesting by enabling growers to pick ripe potatoes from the bottom of the bag/container, whilst propagating new potatoes at the top of the potting soil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With continuous harvest potato bags, potatos can be harvest from the bottom of the bag and top up the bag with potting soil, taking care not to cover the foliage completely...keep enough leaves exposed to the sunlight to keep photosynthesis working to keep the potato factory functioning satisfactorily.

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've found some of the food grade , 55 gallon blue barrels. 20 bucks a each. Thinking I could cut them in half ,, looked at a few videos that showed people doing it ,, and how to help with water drainage,, and getting air to the soil .. , Anyone know of any pros or cons on this concept ??

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It should work ok...just have to have enough drain holes to ensure the potting soil doesn't become waterlogged. Potatoes in waterlogged soil will become vulnerable to rotting, and fungal diseases.

You can cut a door at the bottom of one of the sides to remove ripe potatoes.

14. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have to use grow bags etc here to grow potatoes and works better in greenhouse. Haven't tried to raise large amounts of potatoes in soil for 10 years, late season blight gets them all. With fresh growing medium and isolating them as much as I can, I can raise potatoes but it hasn't made economic sense to do so. Store bought potatoes may be as disease free as the seed potatoes in most cases as far as I can see. Price and availability of grow bags is all over the place so look around before you buy, price of grow medium is up here as well.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Great for flowers, horrible for food. Long list of toxic chems in the treated landscape timbers that leech into the beds and in turn into the plants. Concrete anything, stone, galvanized, and junk slab from the sawmill. Personally I use 12' long 3" thick 10" wide post oak planks and cut T post in half and pound them in to hold it all up and leave a few post tall to put sprinklers on. Would cost a small fortune to buy the planks though :(

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I use old roofing for sheds or awnings, the clear/semi clear plastic or fiberglass kind, roll into a usable trough size and fab wood plank the ends! I hang them about a foot off the ground with cables from 4x4 posts and run sprinklers from overhead! This really keeps the bugs and slugs/snails out, especially my strawberries and Marion berries, though they need some shade! You can grow most anything this way as long as they don't get root bound, tomato's, potato's, carrots if the beds are deep enough, and pretty much everything else! For the berries, we also drape bird netting over them to keep the damn starlings out!

17. Cruisin Sloth

here is my strawberry barrel
    IMG_2785.JPG
    Best shot I have of it , it rotates on a wheel hub
    Sloth

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Got some potato's put into pots today, Seems I had missed 1 last year and it went dormant thru our winter.
    Leafs are breaking thru the soil already, I'll take it as it is?

crowdaddy, Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I have used grow bags for potatoes and sweet potatoes and they work well for both. Potatoes love cool, dark soil.

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7