Gulf Monkies - Ida Impact? How are you faring?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3M-TA3, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Good for him. Still waiting for power to be restored

techsar, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hell, Yall just as soon go out looting like some are doing?

Just kidding !!!

techsar, Oddcaliber and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I taught my nephew gun safety and basic shooter skills 2 years ago. Wrong nephew. I doubt either would shoot someone. Are they all pacifists that age?

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Got power back last night. Still no internet at the house but phone has it today.
    Mold has already begun where water got blown in...I know what I'll be doing...

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Watcha killing mold with or is that a different thread?

8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

As a stop-gap measure, spraying with a concentrated chlorine bleach solution...

Not so sure about a thread on it, as epa may frown on some items ;)

Oh, home inet is on now, too.(y)

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I know that the Gulf Coast is home to some of y'all, but why do y'all keep rebuilding just to get it blowed or washed away? It's gonna take forever for the insurance companies to decide if the damage was from wind or water, then try finding a contractor, materials are gonna cost an arm and a leg when you can find them, and y'all will be lucky to get everything fixed before another storm comes through and y'all have to start again! Houses will have blue tarps on the roofs for months...maybe years! Y'all are gonna be fighting black mold forever! This is the same question that I ask when folks in California, that have had their home destroyed by wildfires, say "we are gonna rebuild right here...we just love it here"!

10. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

How destructive was water intrusion and growth of mold; loss of carpets, furnishings, sheetrock, subfloor damaged. I'm really sorry to hear this and hope you didn't lose much structure and its just superficial. I've definetly seen my share of mold infested structures.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Oddcaliber like this.
  11. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Power is starting to creep back in my area. Traffic lights are now working. Some power is restored a block away from me. Hopefully we will be next to get power.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A wise man should already know which Distributing SubStation feeds Grid Power to his home & Neighborhood.. Then in a Natural Disaster aftermath, one only needs to know if it is his feeder or the Incoming Feeder that is broken… very likely these issues are limited to your feeder, if other neighborhoods fed from your SubStation are getting power, but if the Incoming feeder is dead then a whole section will be down.. usually Incoming Feeders are built in Big Loops from the next higher SubStation, so if an Incoming Feeder line is down , that section can be manually Isolated, and the rest of the Loop on both sides of the break can then be powered up to supply power until the break can be repaired..SOP for most Grid Architecture…

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sadly getting this basic information about an outage from our electric co would require waterboarding someone at the minimum. All we get is if the problem is known or unknown and an ETA on repairs. No details ever from their website or over the phone.

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The problem is when multiple feeders are down in all directions. They have done a bang up job of restoring as much as they have in this short a time.

Oddcaliber, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Clearly someone on here has never had real Boudin, Pepper jack cheese boudin balls, Cracklings,Crawfish,Shrimps, Rice sugar Yeah we grow those items here, Mr. Tornado Ally-cat ?
    Heck we even have crude oil coming in off the Gulf.

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We all grew up with mold...Now its scary stuff ?

Oddcaliber and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. madmax

We upgraded MIL's home with a nat. gas gennie. She's old and frail. We don't really need all that but there's a big Honda that'll power up the ac in our little house. That's really all we "need". At our cabin in NC we don't need nuttin' honey. And we like it that way. 16' by 16'. Big as we could build without a permit. Spring. 25 mile long reservoir less than a mile. Deer, turkeys, bear, small game... Beacoup berries. yup. dig it.

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I can and do eat foods like that here in NW Alabama, and frankly could live without them. I'm one of those eat-to-live type of people...I can eat almost anything, as long as it is dead, skinned, cleaned, and cooked (preferably fried)! I can eat Chinese, Italian, French and Cajun cooking in the safety of NW Alabama. I can have clam chowder without traveling to New England!:eek:
    Tornado Ally-cat? In 60 years we have only had ONE EF-1 tornado, granted it was in MY backyard, but it only destroyed a couple of trees and a old shed....it did JUST miss a trailer, metal equipment shed, metal barn, and three houses. Communities all around us have been leveled, but thank GOD we have been spared. Still a tornado is a once in a lift-time event, unlike hurricanes,

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lol,Walmarch Boudin dont count

Oddcaliber likes this.
  20. madmax

I watched a tornado upproach when I was young in Illinois. It was kinda surreal. In my young eyes, all I could think about was Dorothy. Plus it was just corn fields. Mom and Dad stuffed us in the storm cellar. It was LOUD! I worried about the livestock. To this day I think of the afterlife as Oz.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7