Gun buy-back held for 'assault rifles' & handguns only

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hacon1, Feb 10, 2008.

1. hacon1

hacon1 Monkey+++

<HR style="COLOR: #fce9c5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/15261572/detail.html

"State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, kicked off the gun buyback this morning by turning in his gun at Allen Temple at 9:45 a.m., according to spokeswoman Alicia Trost.

Officers are hoping to collect at least 300 usable guns today, which will then be melted down into a peace monument.

Any working handgun or assault weapon will be bought for up to $250, according to Perata's office. No shotguns or rifles will be bought.
    "
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

?[tongue][devilfu][FF][nothome][nothome][finger]

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Should set up a booth across the street and bid against them Last AR15 I bought was over a grand. Like a few more of them for $300.00

4. hacon1

hacon1 Monkey+++

Let me know when you wanna try that. I will be more than happy to give you a hand and get a few more myself!

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

last one of those I heard about folks were buying the cheapest pos they could buy for $75.00 driving up and making $225...

6. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They all turn out that way, if I had some junk laying around, I would do it as well. Wonder what they say if you decline and walk away?

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I figure if I had the time and money (includeing for an attorney on retainer) I would go buy a bunch of junk for $50-75 each at the pawn shops and take in just to take up a bunch of their money then set up and use their own money to buy the good ones for same or more than they were offering.

8. Higgy

Higgy Tinkerer

Clever lad! You should try it! Its a free country, right?

9. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Just another day in CA.

10. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's been tried and the po-po put a stop to it real fast. I can't remember the details but you knew someone would try it. But if you were an FFL and bought them legally I don't see how they could stop it. Set across the street with a "$325 for your guns" sign. That would be great.

11. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Would you need to be a FFL to buy firearms from private owners?

12. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Not sure about your area but here in Oregon it is legal to purchase firearms face to face (FTF) without any paper trail and/or background check.

Except Silencers or Class III firearms-machineguns, anything requiring an ATF Tax Stamp.

13. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Hehehe, I've got a couple POS that I'd consider handing over for more than they are worth. [lolol]

14. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This was in CA so no FTF transactions are legal - they have to go through a FFL. If a "assault weapon" is being transfered then the FFL has to have the qualification for that also. Then once he has it he cannot sell it to any resident because of the ban!

Here in NV FTF transactions are cool - I just gave a Colt HBAR to my son-in-law and didn't do any paperwork.

15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Hmmm . . . . " (eyeing my $25 'Il-Cheapo' Italian revolver . . . )<EYEING . revolver Italian Il-Cheapo $25 my>

No such barmy "buybacks" around here though.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7