Second Amendment Gun-Free Zone’ Signs

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by Yard Dart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

How cute: Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn & gun control group think criminals will obey ‘gun-free zone’ signs

This is in my backyard... and I see these signs from time to time as I am in a lot of business's within the metro area, for my job. Curious what other Monkey's are doing about these signs in their AO. Are you still carrying, leaving it in the vehicle or just not carrying on a day when you know you are going through these types of places? I for one carry everywhere and when I see these signs, I disregard, as I am protecting my safety and those around me. If someone comes through the door while I am there with bad intentions, well I am the sheepdog and this is my immediate flock... but that is just me. What is your opinion?
    YD

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I didn't see a single business in that list, i can't do without. I believe gun free zones kill people. I will not participate in their little fantasy.

3. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

I won't do business in any of them. Cafe Racer management is stupid to participate after the shooting there last year. I can find cupcakes elsewhere as well.

hank2222 and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I just ignore them.

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Since I do NOT Carry while traveling, but am Armed, If I should encounter such a Sign, I enter, ask for the Manager, and express to him that I will never spend a Dime in his establishment, and explain why, then I leave...I feel it is my intellectual Honesty, that requires this response. .... YMMV...

6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

^^^ This ^^^

The owners or managers need to know that they are actively losing business and why. On Oct. 1, 2013, a number of gun laws change re: CCW/CHP here in North Carolina (not that I can carry until my renewal is done...grrr) and it will be interesting to see how people react. One change to the law is that you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol as long as you aren't consuming. Others include events where an admission fee is charged, parades and funerals.

I've already decided that I will give Buffalo Wild Wings a chance to do the right thing (near where I live) for example but if they throw up a sign, I'll be letting the manager know that it is NOT corporate policy but HIS policy that dictated the sign and I will eschew his establishment and do everything in my power to convince others to do the same.

Also, in response to another app that was mentioned a month or so ago, there are a couple of apps in both the Apple store and Android Market that list and allow you to tag 2A friendly businesses all over the country.

The one I've started using is 2AFriendly (2A Friendly - Apps to find businesses who support 2nd Amendment rights.).

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

Gee, I feel so much safer when I see those signs posted[lolol]

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I ignore the signs unless it is on a PD or SO that I have to go into for something. Funny, the SO gave me the permit to carry, yet does not want me to carry in their office. Guess I should get a sign so if LE wants to come onto my property they have to leave their guns behind, right!

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. PapaGrune

PapaGrune Inside the firestorm

Unless they make a standard sign and include it in a law it is worthless. In Texas they must post a sign labeled the 30.06 sign in the proper locations it is worthless. Hospitals, bars (any place that makes 51% of their money from liquor sales is prohibited plus others. Need to go into a mall go through Bass Pro Shop no sign on their exit into the mall which makes all the others invalid so I have been told by people in the know.
    I am not a lawyer so check your area laws. Not legal advice

sent from inside the fire tornado

natshare likes this.
  10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

That's the way I understand it as well, and one of the reasons why I love the way Texas wrote their law for concealed carry. Put the wrong sign up, it's invalid. Put up a home-made sign, it's invalid. They can still ask you to leave, if they discover you're carrying (as they have the right to refuse service to anyone), but if you're carrying, and it's that obvious, you should probalby re-think your concealed carry method!

If you're not aware of it already, PapaGrune, there's a 30.06 website that shows all the reported locations in Texas that have a valid 30.06 sign. You can even register on their site, and input information on locations that you're aware of, that aren't on the site listing already. Sadly, I had to add 2 locations in my town, this past weekend, after discovering that the Time Warner Cable office and the Fedex shipping center both put up the signs. :(

11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@natshare - I am saddened to hear that the TWC office put up a sign but I'm not surprised. I won't go into why but I'm not surprised.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7