Gun Safe vs EMP

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Witch Doctor 01, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

a fellow prepper asked me a question concerning gun safes that i hadn't considered.... what happens to my electronic gun safe when emp occurs...?

I would think that the electronic keypad would be protected by the metal framework that holds it in place and as long as you have replacement batteries you will be in good shape...

Anyone here have any thoughts?... Am i right? or will we be locked out....

enquiring minds want to know....

2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

We have a dial lock on ours. Not for fear of EMP but becuase the electronic locks seem to fail more than the dial kind in my experience owning safes. (for what that is worth)

3. lemon_fresh

lemon_fresh Monkey+

I never trust electronic locks to begin with.

I would thing that an EMP would fry it, though.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A Very Good question to ask the OEM.... Has it been tested, and with What Results? I would thing that it may be vulnerable, which would make it useless for a Prep'er. Just My Opinion, YMMV....

5. Deetsy4915

Deetsy4915 Monkey+

That might be a good question to pose to the manufacturer. I prefer a dial or keyed safe myself.

6. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

A lot of gun safest with electronic locks have a manual override. Mine does. Forget EMP, what if a burglar smashes your keypad trying to break into your safe? Without some sort of manual override, how would you get into your own safe?

My brother in law just bought a gun safe without a separate key. He was showing it off to me over the weekend. He tried to open it, but put in the wrong code a couple of times and it shut him out for 30 minutes. That's a bad situation to be in, middle of the night, trying to get into your gun safe while being half asleep or half panicked because the zombies are coming through the window, and your safe locks you out because you "far-fingered" the keypad.

I would never buy a safe with an electronic keypad that didn't also have a key lock.

Safe%252520Lock%2525201. Safe%252520Lock%2525203.

NVBeav likes this.
  7. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I have dials on all of mine but I do have the accessories necessary if I by one with an electronic lock, A cutting torch and a sledge hammer. When one is talking about prepping simple is better.

8. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

True, but to me, simple is a key backup. The zombies aren't gonna wait while you torch your safe open. I'm just sayin'.

Now if you already have an electronic safe without a manual backup, then yeah, the "brute force" method may be required.

A quick question for you... if the zombies try to muscle your dial safe open with a sledgehammer to the dial, will it damage the internal mechanism, rendering it inoperable?

9. Stormfeather

Stormfeather I do bad things to bad people.

I actually replaced all my electronic safes with manual rotary dial handle ones. Im currently waiting for my door safe to get delivered so I can actually turn my gun room into an actual gun safe room!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7