Gun Show report

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Aug 19, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My neighbor and I spent about an hour and a half in a gun show today, this is what I found to be the recurring theme. Ammo, unbelievable. The best prices I saw on .45 were $12 a box. 7.62x39, forget it. I checked a couple of dealers and the cheapest was $180 per 1K. One guy wanted $5.00 per box for Wolf, or $250 per 1K. The best price I saw on 5.56/.223 was Wolf at $157 per 1K. While I did see some AR's in the $875 range, most of the private sellers were selling them for $900-1,100. I thought this was all b.s., as I know a store right now where I can get a NIB Bushmaster for $699. I didn't see any G3's, and only 1 FAL. The black rifles were extremly high, but the handguns seem to stay the same. I did pick up a NIB Rock Island Arms 1911 .45 for $330 out the door. I have heard good things about them so I thought that I would try one out. Overall the magazines were reasonable. Glock mags for $17, Polymer AK mags $19, Eagle 30 rd. 10/22 mags were $10. I saw one older fella with a bunch of GI contract AR mags w/green followers for $10 each. The cheapest prices I saw on AK mags were $13. I plan on going back tomorrow, I might do a little trading and pick up a few magazines. There was also a couple of tables selling Wilson Combat parts, I would like to spend a little bit more time there too. I will let you know what tomorrow brings.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here it's $20 to get in with parking to look at crap and have morons point guns at me. I quit going a while back and buy everything on the 'net.

3. E.L.

We don't have to pay for parking, and it was $6 to get in. There was lots to see, I even picked up a couple of the S&W 500s. I liked them, I didn't really see a need, but they were really, really cool. They should be replacing the Desert Eagle as "the movie gun." I didn't have anyone point a gun at me either. :D

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Around here, it's 12 bux to get in and a long walk from the back forty of the parking lot, all to see not much of anything at less than retail. Close to DC, ya know, and all that stuff goes into the district to shoot cops and other innocents, so has command of a high price.:sneaky: Just ask the mayor, he knows.:cool:

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got one of those Rock Island 1911s a while back and think it's a pretty good shooter for the money. I put a stainless barrel and bushing in it and a chip McCormick trigger and sear, a commander hammer and an extended beavertail grip-safety on it. A set of Pacmyer wrap-arounds and a pachmyer mainspring housing and I think I'll send it off and get a set of Bomar night-sites milled in. Got about $600.00 invested in a gun that out-shoots my Kimber or Gold Cup.

6. E.L.

I think it's going to be a good one, I may pick up another tomorrow.

7. E.L.

I went back Sunday as my wife needed to finish some work on her classroom, and the gunshow was pretty close by. I did a little trading for a Mini-14, and picked up a few mags. I should have bought a lot more, but it was getting pretty late and lots of the dealers had packed up. The 10/22 Eagle mags are a steal at $10. I think the next couple of months I am going to focus on buying magazines, as they are very reasonable and just in case we get another set of politicians that want to ban anything over ten rounds.

8. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Academy has those Promags for the Mini, try a couple, they work great.

9. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's the kind of stuff I like! I don't know how to make a bad gun shoot good, but I took my SA Mil-Spec and did all kinds of mods because it shot so well. My Colt NRM is horrible and can't shoot straight, so I may drop in a whole 4.5# "package" like I did the SA but also replace the barrel. My only Colt and it's a POS.

On the Mil-Spec I added a beavertail (that's pretty easy), replaced the stupid ILS system with all new parts, the 4.5# "pacakage", a Wilson Ultralight trigger and new hammer. Also got some new grips on it, but never refinished it! It is a real sweet shooter:

[​IMG]

10. E.L.

I will check them out.

11. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

What kind of Bushmasters do you have down there for $699? Are they A2's, or what? I am looking for a M4 type with an A3 upper, and the cheapest one that I have found is around $879. I live in Oklahoma, and go to Texas on business, so I am curious as to the type and city that these are in. Drop me a PM if you want.

12. E.L.

My mistake the AR for $699 is a flat top DPMS without the carry handle. I want to say they had Bushmaster's in a A2 for a little over $700 also.

From Shooter's Supply in Beaumont, TX. :

Changes day to day but currently have flat-top carbines:
    New - DPMS 'CAR' 16" flat-top $699
    Rock River LAR-15 A3 $785
    Rock River Entry Tactical 16" $935
    Bushmaster XM -15 A3 $929
    S&W M plus P15 A3 $969

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=result-title vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Work Phone:</TD><TD class=section-txt vAlign=center noWrap align=left>(409) 899-9477 Shooters Supply; 6260 Judy Lane (next to Academy on Eastex); Beaumont, TX.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7