Gun show

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ghrit, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Went to the Split Rock show today. Lots of black rifles ($900 and up), AK 47s ($400 and up), a few Dragunov (real and clones, talking price not worth the effort) and the occasional SKS ($250 and up a little) and monkeyguns (from about $100 to $150) Lots of overpriced M1 Garands and M1 carbines. Quite a few Swiss and a couple butchered Mausers, a very few Enfields (in rough shape or butcher sporterized.) Plenty of ammo, especially Wolf. Plenty of milsurp 30-06 and 7.62X39 and 54R, all at close to double last year's prices. Reloaders weren't forgotten. I didn't see primers, but forgot to look. Plenty of powder and bullets. Handgun sales were brisk.

This is far from the best show. Way too many tables for the space available. If you can't walk sideways, don't even think about it.

2. JeeperSean

JeeperSean Monkey++

I was there too. Have to agree with you way over priced and too many tables jammed in there. Too bad I didn't have the money for black riffles. Just got some Wolf .380 APC since that seems to be one of the rare calibers these days and that's my carry. One guy had 8mm Mauser ammo wanted $3 per strip! That's like $0.60 rd it's still available online in bulk for about $0.38 or so per round.

3. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

It's a shame to see what happened in about 16 months ,but with all of people who have never bought a gun now looking for one it a sellers market .
    Guys that know what they are doing can't get a good price because the seller doesn't have to sell all he has to do is wait for that six fingered bustar to come along and say I'll take it I don't care what it costs .
    He'll sell it to him knowing full well that it doesn't know how to use it and will most likely do more harm than good with it or just put in the closet at home and his kid will find and then it's all the gun owners fault .
    I see nothing good coming from this !!!
    JMHO

4. JeeperSean

JeeperSean Monkey++

I can see one good side, this all calms down in another year or so. (hopefully) and every armchair rambo that bough up will want to sell and the market will be full of cheap barely used riffles? Maybe?

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

$400 AK's? That is cheaper than I thought they were.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Didn't say they were pretty --

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Still, with Romy kits going for $300, if I run across a $400 AK at Big Town next weekend (assuming I go) then I will probably have to pick up one or two.

8. Outlander

Outlander Monkey++

Classic Arms has some reasonable prices for AK's..........I purchased two and had them transferred to a local gun shop. The gun shows here in Georgia have been terrible.

9. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

There was a gun show in Reno last weekend -- I told some acquaintances not to go unless they had specific items they were looking for. Last I heard, the lines were 5 people deep all around the ammo vendors' booths; they sold out of nearly everything within the first few hours.

I probably should have gone to try out concealed-carry holsters but didn't want to spend $10 for show ticket and $5 parking.

My local dealer is a lot easier to work with and is usually a lot cheaper.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7