Gun Transfer question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Witch Doctor 01, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There MAY be an issue, that has NOT been addressed in all this Witch Doc1, that I just thought about. You stated that your Son is still a Legal Resident of NC, and NOT in the State of his Base. That MAY be an issue, for the local FFL, in that he can NOT transfer a Handgun, to a nonResident of his State. I am not sure if there is a Military Exemption to that rule, or that he wouldn't be considered a Resident, after he was in-State for a Specific Length of time. Best to have him check it out with his local FFL, before you ship off the weapon. ..... YMMV....

2. freedom first

freedom first Monkey+

There are alot of things to be considered.

NC residents are required to have a permit from local sheriff to purchase ( I am going to say a gift would be the same for the recipient of the gun).
    NC laws require the recipient be 18 yrs of age to posess or own a handgun. So they would have to acquire the gun from a private transfer and acquire the proper permit from the sheriff to posess (own).

They have to be 21 under federal law to purchase from a FFL holder, but can own at 18 under federal law.

As far as getting the gun to Colorado because he is still a NC resident I do not know if it could be transfered to him from a Colorado FFL dealer since it is unknown wether he could claim residency in that state also. It is possible. I used to be a MO resident. While working in Ft Riley KS is was allowed to obtain KS resident hunting permits because I lived in Junction City Ks, five days out of the week, and paid rent in KS. This cannot be the 1st time something like this has come up for either state. We just have to fiquire out the details.

When I originally spoke of your question, I was under the assumption he was home on leave. If he is still home, and can obtain the proper permit from your sheriff. He can take the gun with him. Federal law has provisions for him to transport. Hopefully he is still home.

Questions that need to be answered:
    What is required of him by the military for him to posess? ( Probably not much)
    Would he have to register the gun in CO since he is a resident of NC? ( if registration is even required in CO, I am not familiar with their state laws)

If he has returned to CO. We have a whole new set of problems. How to get it to him. The good thing is he has turned 21, and there is no question as to wether he is legally old enough to own.

Since some time has passed since the question/thread was offered up, let me ask a question. Is he still in NC or in CO?

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Nc... NC has a requirement of a permit to purchase but not to own... transfer of firearms is legal as long as recipent is not excluded by federal law... Normally done with a copy of their NCDL to verify who the fire arm was sold to....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7