Guns for SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by knophear, Oct 22, 2008.

1. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

Put a thumb rest on it, it sounds like it is moving around in your hand that is what mine and it helped a lot.
    A CZ52 is some what of a deferent animal to shoot, I have seem experienced shooters try mine and will hit all over the place then I shoot it and shoot a tight little group.
    After you get the thumb rest on try this.
    1) With your off hand grip the pistol in front of the trigger guard from
    over the top.
    2) Point your index finger strait out and point your thumb toward your
    off hand side, it should look like an L if you are left handed or a
    backwards L if you are right handed when viewed from the top.
    3) Sight down your arm your index finger should point in line with
    your arm.
    4) Hold your other 3 fingers relaxed and together but open.
    5) With your off hand press the pistol tight! into the web of your index
    finger and thumb. 6) Your thumb should be on the rest
    6) Your index finger under the slide along the frame.
    7) Wrap your 3 grip fingers around the grip and hold it tightly but do
    not squeeze too hard.
    8) Hold the your ram and the pistol strait out, sight down your arm.
    9) Is the pistol in line with your arm or is it pointing to one side or the
    other?
    10) If it is pointing to one side or the other use your off hand to
    wrench so it is strait.
    11) Load your pistol and chamber a round do not move it in your
    shooting hand.
    12) If you are left turn off your safety now if you are not don’t. Wrap
    your off hand around the front and bottom of the grip and squeeze
    but not too hard with your off hand thumb turn off the safety.
    13) Place your thumb over the thumb that is on the rest and press
    down un your thumb but not too hard.
    14) Rise your shooting arm up and point it strait down range.
    15) Rotate the elbow of your shooting arm down and in so it locks.
    16) Rest the upper back/inside of your off hand against your chest.
    17) Move your trigger finger in to the guard.
    18) Only put the end if your finger before the first joint on the trigger,
    if you use more of your finger you could pull the aim to the
    outside.
    19) Your sights should look fuzzy but your target should be crisp and
    clear.
    20) Is your hammer back? If not pull it back with your off hand thumb.
    21) Take a deep breath and let it out slowly.
    22) Take another one and let it out halfway.
    23) Sight on your target and very, very, very slowly squeeze the
    trigger.
    24) Repeat steeps # 10, 11, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23

Would you like to know how I made my thumb rest?

cz52thumbrest1.

2. EOTWAWKI

EOTWAWKI Monkey++

Here's a fun gun that will get the job done w/o breaking the bank. It's the Kel-Tec SU-16C. It's chambered for the 5.56mm but can also shoot 2.23 REM, so ammo is easy to find. It's looks and feels a bit cheap because of the plastic-like polymer body, but I like the light weight (<5 lbs) and the folding ability (the gun can be fired when folded). You can stick this in a backpack or just about anywhere. I bought it for $500 new and added a Bushnell Trophy sight. Shoots dead-on.

Personally, though, if the SHTF, I'll be reaching for my reliable Remington 870 marine magnum to keep the peace.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16c.htm
    sub16c_pic01.

3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Get the SKS
    Then the Rem 870
    Get a Glock in .45 ACP if you want a .45
    Last, get either a full sized M1A or even an M1 Garand.

Those, plus lots of ammo, with what you already have will just about fill the bill or cover the bases for a long time to come.

I'd add one last gun to that before you buy anything else, a .308 Win bolt gun.

That's my short list, then add more handguns and maybe an AK or AR later on, if we still get to buy guns a year or two from now.

4. sks nuff said

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Rolling block martini.
    Surely we can drag this out for16 pages...

6. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

What is right for one individual will be wrong for someone else. So many things need to be considered, such as skill level, area conditions, others that may be with you and their skill level, and about a hundered other things.

I love pump shotguns but in my area under 50 yards is your most likely shot. At that close of range you need what ever you shot to die really fast, a well placed slug to center mass will put something down hard. I don't put as much faith in 00 buck as others do. I shot a large mastif in my pasture a few years ago with 00 buck. The range was about 20 yards with a broad side shot. Shot placement was good (center mass) and it knocked the dog to the ground, then it jumped back up and ran almost an 1/8 of a mile. It was still alive and able to run but it got to the gate and could not get through. It turned towards me and I put another round in it's head, at less than 10 yards and that finished it. I used 00 buck in the millitary but that was in the jungle and most shots were under 10 yards and worked well. IMHO 00 buck should not be used at ranges more than 10 yards. Not that it won't kill at longer ranges but it won't kill fast enough in my book. If I lived in an area that had wide open spaces I likely would not like shotguns as much as I do now.

OGM

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

How about making this a "sticky" instead?

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

1-shotgun, 12 gauge
    2-handgun, .45 for home/personal defense, .357 to reach out and touch something!
    3- rifle, .22 Marlin or 10/22, for small game etc.,...
    4-rifle, .30 caliber, (.30-30, .308, .30-06, etc) for larger game and distance shots.
    5-ammo, all you can afford !
    Just my thoughts!
    Bill

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I agree for the bug in crowd, and would add something a bit more interesting for MZBs if the "in" location might suffer from that. (Here we go again, AR or AK.)

In all cases, whatever you have, practice counts. The more different weapons in the safe, the more trigger time you need to maintain proficiency with all of them. (Maybe that's the fun part of prepping, the Good Lord knows it is serious business, this idea of being ready for our worst case scenarios.)

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Won't argue Bill, other than to restate the futility of the obvious:
    +1 ogm said this above:

"Depends"

on a persons size, experience, personal preferences; budget and the job to be accomplished..

12ga is "right for me and you" but dangerous to a frail grandma...
    lots of folks swear bythe1911in.45, .38 (.357 w.38's)make a decent choice for a lot.
    perhaps the best "home defense" is a seat on the county board
    An angry grandma with a .22 may not scare off black water thugs, but may turn city freebooters to easier pickings...

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Amen to that!
    I know a few ladies that prefer a 20 gauge to the 12 ga.
    Easy to understand....
    They are lighter, and easier to handle recoil wise!
    Personally, if someone pointed even a .410 at me, they would have my total and undivided attention!
    Bill

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

.50 ae. another wonderful idea...
    YouTube- My Wife -vs- the Desert Eagle .50

AND YOU know this is going wrong.:
    YouTube- Drunk Woman vs. .50 Caliber Pistol

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well as others have said it is largely personal preference but my picks would be as follows.

For a single person (a group can share some and overlap other depending on situations) you need the following;
    1-centerfire handgun, particularly with a budget my choice is a Bersa Firestorm 9mm. 100% reliable and very affordable, ammo much cheaper than .45 and with HPs more than adequate

2- .22 rifle for meat gathering and vermin controle. My choice matches yours, a 10/22

3- percision rifle, the MN fills the bill there to reach out and touch someone and get biger game at longer range

4-pump shotgun, I figure that NOTHING has the stopping power or versitility of a shotgun so to stop them at the door with serious loads of buckshot or slugs, take large critters at moderate range with slugs and small game with field loads its well worth the price. I figure most any decent pump fills the bill well here, my choice was a 20 guage clone of the Remington 870

5-battle rifle/carbine- to take large game or defend against a siege a battle carbine can be good. Personaly I wouldnt go with .308 for this simply because the price and weight of the ammo is prohibitive for its role and then becomes redundant to the MN or precision rifle. My choice is the AK in 7.62x39 since it has a bit more knockdown than .223 and with abuse and neglect tends to be far more reliable than an AR and generaly for considerably less money that can then buy more ammo.

Just my thoughts.

14. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

+1 monkeyman [freedom]

15. clemsonguy81

clemsonguy81 remington 700 cdl 30-06!

if i could only take 1 gun out of my house(not worrying about ammo because i stocked up it would be my 7mm rem mag thats a remington 700 sps)

my 22 revolver would be a nice choice also

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I think my first choice would be my .38 suppressed walking cane or my .45 LC flashlight, although the .22 cell phone or Zippo might prove handy. I'll bet I figure a real neat trick for the bang-sticks too. Just gotta love that $5.00 AOW tax.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7