Guns vs. Sex Lube?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Apr 3, 2018.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Mountainman likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

While it may be an April fool's joke, I find it handy to keep KY lubricant in my tool box and before you "kill" me with snide comments, it is the best assembly lubricant I have found for air nailers, pressure washers, pumps, hydrolic pumps, etc. It is non poisonous, water soluble, does not harm plastic or rubber, very slick, will lubricate with a very fine film and does not give false readings when you set gear lash etc as a thicker grease will do. It is only an assembly lubricant as it will not retard rust, etc.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm not expecting the 'KY Kid' (the slipperiest outlaw in the West) to be referenced in dime store western novels any time soon! :LOL:

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have found that KY Jelly is a Great Water Proof Lube that is also a Non-Grease and doesn’t collect Dust and then become hardened, that results in an Non-functioing weapon... It just takes a VERY small amount.... “ A little Dab, will do you...”....

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It also works for very sensitive electrical connections! Provides moisture protection and doesn't effect conductivity! Makes for a really good assembly lube when mixed with transmition fluid, especially aircraft engines which are hyper sensitive to friction during the break in prosess, especially roller bearings. Works even better then pretrolium jelly, also really good for assembly of automatic transmitions!

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and duane like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

BTPost, how does it function in extreme cold on a weapon? My limited experience in the military back in the 1950's was that at 65 below, nothing was good and diesel fuel with just a touch of auto transmission fluid worked as well as anything. Here in New Hampshire we don't get real cold, maybe -20 or so once every year or so where I live. Just leave weapons in unheated shed if I intend to use them when it is cold.
    I started to use it as most engine assembly lubes have lead as the major lube and that really gets my wife going when she catches me using them.
    Petroleum jelly is known for doing real numbers on some rubber compounds and is sticky, handy for gasket applications, and keeps the final lube out of places.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Started out as a joke, but I have found it to be very useful, never used it in electronics. Thank you.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Around here we never get much below Zero F so I have little experience with it below that, but No issues noted at Zero F...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Stuff makes great lube for fishing reels........

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Try it mixed with automatic trans fluid on your guns when the temps really drop, it works pretty well! The Norwegian military issues their version of KY to the troups, and it works, also good for preventing chapped lips and hands in extreme cold!

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

As I use it also , plus I have it in many of my tool boxes . My Poxie use's better lube ! but the effect is great. As for assembly lube , It's good for some , BUT the hold a "O" ring up in place , Johnston's Assly-lube , goo that is tacky as every & lubes , oil 0r water break down .
    I have 3 tubes left & then im / all out.

Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

When maintaining the air nailers, the repair cycle is often short, they beat the h*** out of them and at the wages the framers and others are paid, it is all about production and the tools come in a distant 3 rd. To minimize cost and speed up rebuilds, often no more than a good cleaning and replacing a couple o rings and a feed spring and any broken or missing parts, the tacky or seal type gasket cements often keep you from reusing the old parts that are still good. Not optimal, but it isn't a safety problem like an aircraft or truck brakes and it is weird how they will spend bug bucks on labor and skimp on tools and materials.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

There is an alternate "Lube" I have found for more hard core use and as a grease substitute, and that is Transmission assembly lube, it's a thick greasey type lube that is super sticky and holds gaskets and seals in place for long periods. What's neato about it is once it heats up it turns to a light and thin oil and dilutes readily with other lubricants! For engine use, I mix in about a 30% ratio of Marvel mystery oil (red) and use it to prelube bearings. I did this on my latest Lycoming O-435 With it's roller bearings, particularly the nose bearing, and it works flawlessly, and the gaskets and seals don't weep unlike using shell aero oils And conventional break in additives. I follow up with a full Synthertic oil and were good to go after a flush!

Cruisin Sloth, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I put Vaseline on the pole leading up to the bird feeder, Funny animals those squirrels.

I mix Vaseline with Johnson paste wax and thin with acetone to coat cast bullets

Mountainman, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

Transmission assembly lube ? Got a link or name @Ura-Ki

Sloth
    U an AME ?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Kinda sorta an A-ME have the full spec F-385 certs. And I am current on airframe, engines and basic avionics! Also current in full LSA, which is my main interest.

The lube is
    Dr. Tranny Assemblee Goo, green! Available at most auto parts houses about $6 to $8 per tub. The red stuff is for older Ford auto boxes, but still works fine, but not as sticky!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

i use IMC or WP , Save , Remac ,ACL etc , i'll have a look .
    sloth
    AME , R (fling wing ) with all certs. Old AME

Thanks Sir

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Roger Sloth, glad to help! Keep yer Jesus nut tight ok!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7