Gustav... are y'all ready?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonas Parker, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

For those members in the path of Gustav in Louisiana and Texas, now's the time to put the finishing touches on your preps. Check your first aid supplies and especially make sure you have an adequate supply of any prescription meds.

We stocked up (more like topped off) this week on gasoline, lamp oil and batteries. The wife went to the super-market this morning for an emergency carton of smokes and found the place mobbed. The gas pumps had lines of cars way down the block. We got hit pretty hard by Rita a few years ago and it seems like the folks here remember it well.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/trackingat200807_5day.html#a_topad

2. toemag

toemag Monkey++

Stay safe, keeping my fingers X'd that it's not as bad as expected.

Tony

3. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

My thing with New Orleans is that they have stated that its going their way. I want to see how many people will take it serious now and know that the gubernment wont be their to help them. Or will it be the same crap as last time[shtf]

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Internet news says he's hit Cat Four now! And he has yet to head into the Gulf. When he picks up that shallow warm water, it's gonna be bad!
    Hope they have that twit Nagin on a short leash. I hear the new Governor is already making the necessary preps - no Blancoism this time around!
    Gun and ammo sales are up too! People have learned, and many won't be disarmed this time around without a real fight.
    We are praying for y'all in La.

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We will see. The Guard is pretty much on standby already.

6. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

http://www.stormpulse.com/

Was on another site and someone posted the above link, not a bad site to help track these storms

Hope all in the region stay safe

7. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Stay safe, southern Monkeys!

8. toemag

toemag Monkey++

One of my ex-girlfriends who lives in Florida just sent me an email, it would seem that their road is flooded and they have to take an hour long detour to get out to go shopping, still she is prepping for Hanna:shock:.

Tony

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

All the storm models but one (those wacky Brits seem to think TS Hanna will go DOWN and bounce off Cuba!) have TS Hannah going on up the east coast with no landfall in Florida - still be some rain though. We may have 'dodged the bullet' regarding TS Hannah. Heads-up to the Carolinas though!

We're praying for those souls in Nawlins - the Big Easy is getting it hard, again! Mississippi Monkeys take care too!

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nagin is grabbing face time for the cameras again. Storm is big, betting bigger and so forth, we're ready, but y'all better leave, we learned from Katrina, and on and on. At least Blanco is out of the picture.

11. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

There gonna be plenty of craw dads in N.O. after dis over let me done told yuh. Get gund and rund my friend, this ain't gonna be no Mardi gras for shuer. Get on the bus gus, better get a plan stan, it gonna be bad. Time to bug out . And Houston, you better learn quick, cause you might be target too. We got three more coming. Why can't we take them out by setting off several thermobaric bombs in the circle of circulation? We blow everything else up that threatens us. DUH!

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

They are predicting a 6-8" surge here in Mobile and hurricane force winds (cat 1) by morning. There is a mandatory evac in place here where I live (200 yards from Mobile Bay). We have boarded the windows and loaded the 4x4 with essentials but I think we'll sit it out here as all the shelters in the region are already full. My house is 16' above sea-level so we shouldn't see any flooding. The generator is ready with plenty of reserve fuel. I filled the ice chests, sharpened the chain saws, checked the first aid kits, charged the cell phone spare batteries, have plenty of provisions, charged the lap-top batteries, have spare for everything. The power went out for a short while about an hour ago but came back on. Our Fleet is as secured as we can make it but I have no doubts we'll have a long night. I have a wireless card in my Panasonic toughbook so I'll keep a running update from Mobile but I am sending all my prayers west of here to the good folks of LA. God's grace be with them.

13. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Be sure to secure all important documents. Batteries, flashlights and walkie talkies. May the angels protect all good men and their families.

14. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Many Prayers are being sent West of me....I have a lot of friends in LA, and one family member.....

I don't have much...a small house...but anyone needing to come East is certainly Welcome here....That's all I have to offer right now.....

We're under Tropical Storm Warning and will most likely lose power, but that's it.....I'm on a bayou, but not in a flood zone...At the top of the hill on the street.......

To any in Gustav's path.....Be safe, and prayers being sent that way...

15. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Batten down, guys.

(I am so glad all we're likely to get in MO from Gustav is a good chance of rains....)

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

So far in Mobile there has been a number of tornadoes and water-spouts along with a steady hard rain. The bay is creeping up the bank and some flooding has shut-down a number of roads. Winds are not real bad yet, at around 25 kts but will get worse as the day progresses. I got a splinter in my left F.Y. finger tip that keeps evading the tweezers (my eyes aren't what they used to be).

17. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-gustav-2008

Stormpulse shows TS Gustav will pass over Hemphill TX (about 20 miles east of us) tomorrow morning at 0700. Looks like Center TX (20 miles to the north of us) will get the northeast quadrant of the storm. Projected maximum winds here are 65 mph, a whole lot less that Rita's 115 mph winds. I expect things to get interesting here late this afternoon.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7