H10N8 influenza

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Silversnake, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

5 February - Chinese health officials are reporting the first fatality associated with a novel reassortant avian H10N8 influenza virus. The study, published in the Lancet, details the case of a 73-year-old woman with several comorbidities who became ill 4 days after visiting a poultry market in Jiangxi province. A novel avian H10N8 virus was identified in a tracheal aspirate specimen obtained from the patient a week after illness onset. A field investigation failed to find an identical virus circulating in poultry from the market. The patient developed pneumonia and multiple organ failure and died 9 days after symptom onset. No human contacts were infected. Researchers noted that the novel H10N8 virus contains mutations that could increase virulence in mammalian hosts. The authors conclude: "The pandemic potential of this novel virus should not be underestimated."

China Details First Human Fatality Linked to Novel H10N8 Influenza — Physician’s First Watch

HK_User likes this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Note to self: Stay away from poultry market in Jiangxi province!

kellory, swampbilly and wagnerd like this.
  3. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Unfortunately, what happens in the Jiangxi Poultry Market doesn't stay in the Jiangxi Poultry Market. Their problem can become our problem in the blink of an eye.

I just read yesterday that in my own state of North Carolina, doctors were concerned that this flu season was seeing more deaths in the 25 -49 age range, an age range that doesn't normally see many deaths from the flu (excluding the 1918 Spanish flu). One doctor made a good point when he said that one half of all people who are admitted to the hospital for treatment of influenza are obese. Any illness is bad enough without your body already being stressed to the limit by something that most of us can control with a little effort.

kellory, HK_User and swampbilly like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Bad enough that we can expect to see this on our shores at any exit of a overseas Jet. Good health is needed and we can control our weight and intake.. This is the best way to assist the body and about all we can do other than avoidence and face mask. Never forget that the at risk groups should get both, pneumoia and flue shots.

Sure, you cannnot cover all bases then again I prefer cover to concealment.

YMMV

tulianr and swampbilly like this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Every time I go to the chicken coop for any reason I always wash my hands with soap/water. Just like I do when I clean the cats' litterbox. Doesn't matter to me if our animals are isolated, so to speak. There is no real such thing as isolation with the wildlife we have in our area. Read the other day about a guy who got Bubonic plague from his cat. I always peroxide myself after the cats scratch/bite me(intentionally or not...just last night, Munchkin started to fall off the chair I was leaning against, and tried to grab on to something for support, which happened to be my hand), even if it doesn't break the skin. There really is no way to 100% protect yourself these days, but you can severely reduce your risk, and have medical supplies on hand(and someone who knows how to use them) if you do get sick.

6. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

You all are missing a key point:
    Comorbidity is the presence of one or more additional disorders (or diseases) co-occurring with a disease or disorder; or the effect of such additional disorders or diseases.

It is highly likely her immune system was more than just slightly compromised. Any reports of deaths occurring in an otherwise healthy individual will worry me.

kellory, Yard Dart and melbo like this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DarkLight
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Motomom34
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. ED GEiN
  10. 3M-TA3
  11. duane